Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, Derrick Brooks, and Warrick Dunn nominated for HOF « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: September 12, 2013, 03:24:35 AM

What first-year-eligible candidates will make Hall of Fame?

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor   NFL.com

Published:  Sept. 12, 2013 at 01:51 a.m.

The list of modern-era nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014 was announced Wednesday on NFL Network, starting a process that will culminate in New York before Super Bowl XLVIII with the announcement of the class.

In the meantime, let's speculate on what players have the best chance of getting there. There are 16 first-year-eligible nominees on the total list of 126 names. Here's a breakdown:

Hall of Famers

Marvin Harrison, Walter Jones and Derrick Brooks

The only question is when these guys are getting in. My guess is that Harrison and Jones will make it in their first year of eligibility. Jones is one of the best left tackles to ever play the game. Harrison quietly had an eight-year stretch of dominance catching balls from Peyton Manning.

Brooks might have to wait one year or two. Michael Strahan's exclusion from the 2013 class was a reminder that plenty of all-time greats have to wait. Brooks wasn't quite as dominant a player at his peak as some Hall of Famers, but it only should be a matter of time before he is enshrined with longtime teammate Warren Sapp.

The one-ring coaches club

Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren and Jon Gruden

All three coaches own one Super Bowl ring as a head coach, and they got close other times. Gruden doesn't nearly have the track record to be seriously considered, and he'll probably wind up back on the sideline.

Dungy and Holmgren both have strong cases. Then again, so do Jimmy Johnson, Don Coryell and Tom Flores. None of them are in the Hall of Fame. My man, Elliot Harrison, did a great job projecting the next 50 Hall of Famers in a piece written last month. He put Dungy in next year's class but didn't have Holmgren making it at all. That sounds about right, although I wouldn't be surprised if Dungy had to wait longer. Holmgren has a decent chance long term since he turned around two franchises.

Uphill battles

Trent Green, Shaun Alexander, Warrick Dunn, Willie Anderson, Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Zach Thomas, Rodney Harrison, Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain

We're starting to see some of Bill Belichick's best championship defenders make it to consideration. I think Harrison is a very strong candidate, but he often was left out in the cold during Pro Bowl voting because he wasn't popular with writers or other players. It's very difficult for safeties to make it to Canton, but he deserves consideration.

McGinest had a better career than Bruschi, but both players didn't rack up the type of All-Pro honors that usually is required for consideration. McGinest, however, had the kind of signature playoff moments that get a voter's attention.

Dunn and Alexander were very good running backs, but Alexander's peak wasn't long enough. Dunn arguably was never a top-three running back.

Ultimately, I expect four men from this group -- Harrison, Jones, Brooks and Dungy -- eventually to get in the Hall. Holmgren wouldn't be a shock. Anyone else would be a surprise, but the voters have been known to throw a curveball now and then.

Your Daddy

Second String

#1 : September 12, 2013, 03:31:13 AM

In my opinion, Dunn making the HOF would be ridiculous. No way it happens.

Brooks, Dungy, Gruden and Holmgren belong though.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 12, 2013, 07:08:42 AM

Harrison should never be allowed in.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#3 : September 12, 2013, 08:32:10 AM

Trent Green?!? Is this real life?

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#4 : September 12, 2013, 08:40:04 AM

Would love to see Warrick Dunn in the hall-of-fame, I'm happy for him to be nominated.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 12, 2013, 09:14:07 AM

Lmaoooo. Is he being serious saying Brooks wasn't as dominate at his peak as other HOFers?? What a joke. Derrick Brooks IS a first ballot HOFer.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 12, 2013, 09:23:28 AM

I only see the Brooks, Jones, and Harrison as HOF worthy on this list.  Most of the other guys were very good NFL players, but not HOF'ers.

And why is Patrick Surtain even mentioned as a HOF candidate?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#7 : September 12, 2013, 09:26:15 AM

I only see the Brooks, Jones, and Harrison as HOF worthy on this list.  Most of the other guys were very good NFL players, but not HOF'ers.

agreed

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 12, 2013, 09:28:25 AM

4 time all pro and two time Super Bowl champion.  He was the leader of the Patriot defense.   Why do you say that?

JM2

Pro Bowler

#9 : September 12, 2013, 09:39:32 AM

I don't think Grudens is HOF worthy. Love that he won a Super Bowl with the Bucs and he was a great coach but I just don't see it, especially if Jimmy Johnson and Air Coryell aren't in.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 12, 2013, 09:40:35 AM

4 time all pro and two time Super Bowl champion.  He was the leader of the Patriot defense.   Why do you say that?
There's a decent chance he straight up killed someone or at least orchestrated someone else doing it.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#11 : September 12, 2013, 10:24:17 AM

I got confused by there being two Harrison's on that list.  Rodney was who I was referring to.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 12, 2013, 10:32:22 AM

Brooks is in. Doesn't always happen first ballot, but it should in this case. Gruden and Dungy, I say no to both, but Dungy will be helped by the race card and Gruden will be hurt by the fact that he'll probably coach again. Dunn, no.

10lbbass

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 12, 2013, 10:51:52 AM

In my opinion, Dunn making the HOF would be ridiculous. No way it happens.

Brooks, Dungy, Gruden and Holmgren belong though.

Gruden may be in attendance for Brook's induction but that is the closest he will ever get.  Bad coach with worse player evaluation skills that couldn't get out of his ego's way long enough to be north of .500 after the Super Bowl year.  Pathetic.

Love him for the ring though....

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#14 : September 12, 2013, 10:52:21 AM

agreed
No brainer, here. +1

The quest for .500 begins...
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, Derrick Brooks, and Warrick Dunn nominated for HOF « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools