Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'm ashamed by the fact USF even has a football team... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Runole

Hall of Famer
#90 : November 20, 2013, 02:23:52 PM

Olaf, I am true Bulls fan, but you won't see posting much on them because I was spoiled with actual winning seasons for so long. Oh, how the times have changed.

RUKnight is finally see his boys in Orlando beat USF for the first time ever.

Aint gonna lie........I will be happy if UCF makes a BCS bowl. Good for the state.

I will be rooting for USF..  But laughing at Bulls fans that still don't understand what makes CFB great... HInt :  it begins with an R and ends with a Y

lolz, and we'll keep laughing at the moron who tried to say our program slipped up because we stopped playing the mid-major because we were scared .......

If UCF is a mid Major what is USF?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#91 : November 20, 2013, 03:01:59 PM

Some links for FM   :D

First just a simple one at his reading level

http://www.answers.com/mt/florida-state

Was Florida State offered to join the SEC in the early 90's?

No.

When the SEC announced an expansion from 10 to 12 teams in 1990, officials of the SEC made a presentation to the FSU athletic department concerning joining the conference. However, the Atlantic Coast Conference was also expanding and pushed hard for Florida State to join. Once the SEC ADs got wind of this, they met and decided not to extend an invitation to FSU.

http://nolefan.org/summary/fsu_sec.html

As for a complete synopsis of events that occured...  From the JAx Times union "GATOR NEWSPAPER"

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/051301/col_6160687.html

Excerpt one from the article

Hogan vividly remembers the SEC presentation before the entire FSU athletic department.

"That very day, when Bob Goin and Roy Kramer sat in the room there was very much a different dynamic," Hogan said. "It was very stiff and very cold. ....

"The SEC in those days was certainly the 3,000-pound gorilla. They kept putting out vibes, 'How could you not want to play with us? We've already got a great deal going; wouldn't you want to jump on our train?' "

Whether real or merely perceived, the vibes generated from the SEC's presentation didn't sit well with some at FSU.

"There was quite a bit of feeling that we didn't want to be entrapped; a feeling among some of the fans that if we go into that conference that has been dominated by the Alabamas, Auburns and Georgias we'd be kind of a stepchild," Miller said. "[That] we wouldn't get the respect we deserved."

While Kramer emerged from the five-hour long meeting with FSU officials, declining comment on the school's possible membership, Corrigan forged ahead. His conference call with the presidents went so well that he set a conference call vote on expansion for 9:30 the following morning.

excerpt #2

Meanwhile, the SEC had caught wind of the ACC's intention to hold an expansion vote and quickly convened its own conference call. They voted to not extend Florida State an invitation to the conference.

Also from the article...
In addition on that first vote the ACC did not vote in favor of FSU.    Long after the SEC said NO  the ACC took another vote and FSU was accepted.

The next day was when Joe Dean came out with the statement "FSU WAS NEVER SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED"  Of course the same Joe Dean also stated in around June that "FSU was going to be a member of the SEC"..    GO Figure?  ;) ;) ;)

FSU and MIami were the most impressive teams in CFB at the time.  No team in the SEC came close!    SEC were then and continue to be a bunch of redneck blowhards telling each other how great they are!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#92 : November 20, 2013, 06:22:02 PM

Are you denying that ucf is and has always been a mid-major or lower?

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#93 : November 21, 2013, 09:48:00 AM

Some links for FM   :D

First just a simple one at his reading level

http://www.answers.com/mt/florida-state

Was Florida State offered to join the SEC in the early 90's?

No.

When the SEC announced an expansion from 10 to 12 teams in 1990, officials of the SEC made a presentation to the FSU athletic department concerning joining the conference. However, the Atlantic Coast Conference was also expanding and pushed hard for Florida State to join. Once the SEC ADs got wind of this, they met and decided not to extend an invitation to FSU.

http://nolefan.org/summary/fsu_sec.html

As for a complete synopsis of events that occured...  From the JAx Times union "GATOR NEWSPAPER"

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/051301/col_6160687.html

Excerpt one from the article

Hogan vividly remembers the SEC presentation before the entire FSU athletic department.

"That very day, when Bob Goin and Roy Kramer sat in the room there was very much a different dynamic," Hogan said. "It was very stiff and very cold. ....

"The SEC in those days was certainly the 3,000-pound gorilla. They kept putting out vibes, 'How could you not want to play with us? We've already got a great deal going; wouldn't you want to jump on our train?' "

Whether real or merely perceived, the vibes generated from the SEC's presentation didn't sit well with some at FSU.

"There was quite a bit of feeling that we didn't want to be entrapped; a feeling among some of the fans that if we go into that conference that has been dominated by the Alabamas, Auburns and Georgias we'd be kind of a stepchild," Miller said. "[That] we wouldn't get the respect we deserved."

While Kramer emerged from the five-hour long meeting with FSU officials, declining comment on the school's possible membership, Corrigan forged ahead. His conference call with the presidents went so well that he set a conference call vote on expansion for 9:30 the following morning.

excerpt #2

Meanwhile, the SEC had caught wind of the ACC's intention to hold an expansion vote and quickly convened its own conference call. They voted to not extend Florida State an invitation to the conference.

Also from the article...
In addition on that first vote the ACC did not vote in favor of FSU.    Long after the SEC said NO  the ACC took another vote and FSU was accepted.

The next day was when Joe Dean came out with the statement "FSU WAS NEVER SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED"  Of course the same Joe Dean also stated in around June that "FSU was going to be a member of the SEC"..    GO Figure?  ;) ;) ;)

FSU and MIami were the most impressive teams in CFB at the time.  No team in the SEC came close!    SEC were then and continue to be a bunch of redneck blowhards telling each other how great they are!
Thanks for proving my point. The offer was coming, FSU knew it, but pussed out by entertaining an offer form a far inferior conference.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

Runole

Hall of Famer
#94 : November 21, 2013, 11:53:38 AM

Nope.... are you denying USF has ever been a mid- major or lower?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#95 : November 21, 2013, 12:01:03 PM

Depends on your definition, but USF was invited into a BCS conference.    it's irrelevant either way.    You've stated that USF stopped playing ucf because they were scared of them and that not playing them hurt the program.   Neither is true.   USF stopped playing them because they were trying to elevate the program, not be a mid-major like ucf.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#96 : November 21, 2013, 12:15:27 PM

Thanks for proving my point. The offer was coming, FSU knew it, but pussed out by entertaining an offer form a far inferior conference.

Huh?  Did you even read the articles linked?      What proof do you have that an offer was coming?  ANSWER - NONE!   While you are certainly entitled to such an opinion it is not factual proof of anything.

The ACC offered a better deal and  the SEC decided they didn't want to compete with the ACC for arguably one of the two greatest football teams at that time.   FSU was one of  #2 absolutely dominating teams of that era ) the other being Miami.  They weren't some dogsheet team like South Carolina or Arkansas.  SEC dropped the ball not FSU.   

So  the SEC offered Two pussies instead...   Makes sense.... the SEC was terrified by both Miami and FSU by entering would prove their conference didn't deserve the Blowhard status that it spouts every day.

Is there any conference in America whose members use another teams success to boost themselves up?    Two more mediocre teams that accomplished very little in the old Big 12 are suddenly world beaters in the "mighty"?  SEC.  Please explain how this can happen where the existing 12 members are asserted to be closer to NFL in quality than all other schools in CFB?  JMO but this year it still looks to me like Bama and the over- hyped 13 dwarfs. Disagree?

Does Florida really have the best Defense in all football not just the SEC? 

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#97 : November 21, 2013, 12:55:04 PM

Huh?  Did you even read the articles linked?      What proof do you have that an offer was coming?  ANSWER - NONE!   While you are certainly entitled to such an opinion it is not factual proof of anything.

The ACC offered a better deal and  the SEC decided they didn't want to compete with the ACC for arguably one of the two greatest football teams at that time.   FSU was one of  #2 absolutely dominating teams of that era ) the other being Miami.  They weren't some dogsheet team like South Carolina or Arkansas.  SEC dropped the ball not FSU.   

So  the SEC offered Two pussies instead...   Makes sense.... the SEC was terrified by both Miami and FSU by entering would prove their conference didn't deserve the Blowhard status that it spouts every day.

Is there any conference in America whose members use another teams success to boost themselves up?    Two more mediocre teams that accomplished very little in the old Big 12 are suddenly world beaters in the "mighty"?  SEC.  Please explain how this can happen where the existing 12 members are asserted to be closer to NFL in quality than all other schools in CFB?  JMO but this year it still looks to me like Bama and the over- hyped 13 dwarfs. Disagree?

I read both the articles you posted, before you even posted them.

It is common knowledge that the SEC wanted FSU and the offer was coming. The articles solidify this statement.

You're a freaking pathetic troll.

Only someone as disingenuous as yourself would argue that the SEC had no intention of bringing in FSU.

Good luck to FSU against Duke.

Still might make the BCS championship game without Jameis.

The ACC freaking sucks, and your son was too stupid to get into UF. DWI

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM

Runole

Hall of Famer
#98 : November 22, 2013, 11:18:48 AM

Depends on your definition, but USF was invited into a BCS conference.    it's irrelevant either way.    You've stated that USF stopped playing ucf because they were scared of them and that not playing them hurt the program.   Neither is true.   USF stopped playing them because they were trying to elevate the program, not be a mid-major like ucf.

Even though I think your reply is ridiculous and asinine     ie  UCF was playing football before USF even had a Damn Team!   Ever hear of Duante Culpepper?   Oh and USF refused to play UCF because they were afraid of losing to them and making their pseudo- arrogance look stupid.  It is called quitting while you are ahead. 

So do you still consider UCF to be beneath USF in terms of football prestige today?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#99 : November 22, 2013, 11:30:00 AM

The only "asinine" things in this thread are your responses.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#100 : November 22, 2013, 11:32:30 AM

It is common knowledge that the SEC wanted FSU and the offer was coming. The articles solidify this statement.

Only someone as disingenuous as yourself would argue that the SEC had no intention of bringing in FSU.

The only troll and one that revels in complete ignorance is you buddy!    Get over it!  the SEC never offered.    I never stated that the SEC didn't start a preliminary discussion of considering FSU for membership . I am only stating that they not FSU dropped the ball and ran away from competing with the ACC for FSU .    FSU and Miami both have never ducked competition like Alabama and most of the SEC does every year.

Heck UF hasn't left the state to play an Out of conference regular season game since 1991when they lost to Syracuse.   The SEC has always been a bunch of puzzies when it comes to regularly scheduling games against other football powers in the US.    Hey good luck for Bama against Chattanooga!   :D :D   AT HOME!       

The ACC freaking sucks, and your son was too stupid to get into UF. DWI    Wow keep showing the world how classy you are ?     Momma needed to wash out that dirty mouth with soap!

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#101 : November 22, 2013, 02:51:07 PM

The only troll and one that revels in complete ignorance is you buddy!    Get over it!  the SEC never offered.    I never stated that the SEC didn't start a preliminary discussion of considering FSU for membership . I am only stating that they not FSU dropped the ball and ran away from competing with the ACC for FSU .    FSU and Miami both have never ducked competition like Alabama and most of the SEC does every year.

Heck UF hasn't left the state to play an Out of conference regular season game since 1991when they lost to Syracuse.   The SEC has always been a bunch of puzzies when it comes to regularly scheduling games against other football powers in the US.    Hey good luck for Bama against Chattanooga!   :D :D   AT HOME!       

The ACC freaking sucks, and your son was too stupid to get into UF. DWI    Wow keep showing the world how classy you are ?     Momma needed to wash out that dirty mouth with soap!
And as I stated, the offer was coming.

Hell, the article you linked was a comparison piece on whether joining the ACC over the SEC was the right move. Why would they even make this comparison, if it was never a possibility?

You freaking dolt, your own links are proving you wrong.

Keep talking **CENSORED** about Bama's schedule, and UTC, the same week that FSU plays freaking Idaho. How's that SOS argument going to be working out for you when the season's over with?

Keep digging deeper, dumbass. You do a great job making a fool of yourself.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#102 : November 23, 2013, 09:11:09 AM

The only "asinine" things in this thread are your responses.

Great counterpoint....   Probably the best thing you have when you have none.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#103 : November 23, 2013, 09:39:28 AM

And as I stated, the offer was coming.

Only a completely ignorant fool would make such a silly statement. Why don't you give Joe Dean a call he can set you straight on how the SEC voted not to extend an offer and that FSU was never seriously considered! ::)      Joe Dean is mixing lies with truth as FSU certainly was considered but then the consideration was withdrawn because the SEC didn't want to compete against the ACC for FSU.

Hell, the article you linked was a comparison piece on whether joining the ACC over the SEC was the right move. Why would they even make this comparison, if it was never a possibility?

You freaking dolt, your own links are proving you wrong.

You really have a reading comprehension problem if that is how you come up with your silly opinion that an offer was coming.   Let me see if I can help you understand this better.  The linked article is only pointing out why FSU made the right choice out of four when faced with them .  If the ACC had not taken a 2nd vote with the SEC already voting against considering FSU in the SEC.... who knows what they would have done?  Independent?  Joining the Big East?  Point is after the ACC took its initial vote FSU didn't know what would happen.  Fortunately the ACC took a 2nd vote and FSU was admitted.  If the SEC had come up with an offer before taking Texas A&M and Missouri in its most recent expansion FSU would accepted IMO.   Unfortunately UF USC and Georgia would have blocked that from ever happening so it is a moot point.
Clemson and FSU would have made great additions but the majority of the SEC doesn't want such daunting competition in their conference. They prefer to admit alleged Tomato cans to the conference.  Funny thing that those 2 tomato cans are now among the top 10 of the conference.   How can this be?  LOL  They both were pretty mediocre in the old big 12.

Dude, you don't remember stuff you've actually posted on this board before, much more recently than 1990.... Like that Alabama was too quick to pull the trigger on letting Mike Shula go.

What ever happened to Mike Shula? Is he working at his dads restaurant or selling cars?  Alabama certainly knew he sucked and made an excellent choice with Saban.. The guy most certainly must be out of football today.  Right?

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
#104 : November 23, 2013, 02:43:43 PM

I hate to be on topic but........USF blows chunks.

Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'm ashamed by the fact USF even has a football team... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools