Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After 2 weeks, the Bucs lead the NFC and tied in the NFL in sacks. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 17, 2013, 12:30:46 PM

I don't think anybody could have predicted we would be leading the NFC in sacks. How much of this is Spence and how much is Revis-related?
Spece has played on less than 50% of the passing plays the Bucs have faced.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#16 : September 17, 2013, 12:32:59 PM

I don't think anybody could have predicted we would be leading the NFC in sacks. How much of this is Spence and how much is Revis-related?

Unlike so many posters seem to think, there usually is not just one correct answer or cause.  I think it is Spence, Revis, a more experienced David and Foster, scheme, Clayborn, McCoy etc.

Like many teams they still have depth issues and it could all change at any moment, but one factor might just be . . . as shocking as it seems .  . that the Bucs just dont think like message board posters.

If you recall, most who were lamenting Bennett's departure were essentially saying that Clayborn was useless. Taht is obviously not true. Most were completely discounting the impact of having Clayborn and GMC together. No one even had Spence to think about . .  and the biggets thing you mention . .  . scheme . .  it's possible that the Bucs just didnt place that high a vule on someone like Bennett given that they beleived they would get pressure from the scheme.

Bennett is playing well so far and it should be clear to those who disagreed before that Seattle truly was a MUCH BIGGER stage, so if all teams were offering only 1 year deals, of course he was going there over the Bucs. End of Bennett story. Good for him and good for the Bucs

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#17 : September 18, 2013, 01:51:08 AM

LBs are playing great

youngone

Hall of Famer
#18 : September 18, 2013, 02:09:52 AM

It's DTN related

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#19 : September 18, 2013, 10:20:49 AM

What I've noticed is the blitzes are finally hitting home, resulting in the back seven players having six of the nine team sacks.  Even that number should be higher with David (and McCoy) getting another half sack instead of the gift sack somebody gave to DTN.

What's happening is the coverage is much better, meaning the QB can't throw the ball immediately after hitting his drop.  That allows time for the blitzes to do what they are designed to do.

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

#20 : September 18, 2013, 10:26:13 AM

We are tied for top scoring defense as well no?

Its ok, Ive been here before... --Lovie Smith

Hes a great coach, hes been there before... --Lavonte David

Red Alert

Rookie

#21 : September 18, 2013, 10:31:16 AM

Nice for 2 games, but let's see how we do after 5, 6, 7.... etc.

The offensive coordinator's are going to throw shorter passes if we blitz all the time. It's the nature of the beast.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#22 : September 18, 2013, 10:34:03 AM

We are tied for top scoring defense as well no?

Not against the Jets. The Pats gave up 8 points less(-80%)than us, despite having a QB completing less than 50% of his passes.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 18, 2013, 10:35:52 AM

We are top 6 in almost every category that counts...

Small sample, but it looks like our defense is fixed...   (Crosses Fingers)

Now lets get that freakin' offense back on track!

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 18, 2013, 10:41:55 AM

What I've noticed is the blitzes are finally hitting home, resulting in the back seven players having six of the nine team sacks.  Even that number should be higher with David (and McCoy) getting another half sack instead of the gift sack somebody gave to DTN.

What's happening is the coverage is much better, meaning the QB can't throw the ball immediately after hitting his drop.  That allows time for the blitzes to do what they are designed to do.

Not looking for an argument here, I am asking for real as I know you have watch the replays far more than have.......

Is it possible that some of the blitzes are hitting home due to the stunts everyone hates so much?  As in the stunts might be making it harder for them to get a sack, but could they be opening blitz lanes?   

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 18, 2013, 10:49:33 AM

But, Michael Bennett?

I'm not ready to say that we are not a team that can pressure the QB but it's a nice result after two weeks.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 18, 2013, 11:14:33 AM

I'm very happy with the overall production but have general concerns that excessive sack numbers from back 7 type players historically aren't sustainable. I'm pretty confident in saying Lavonte David won't finish the season with 20 sacks. If you keep running the same blitzes, offensive coordinators usually figure out how to block them. But there's no shame in finishing top 10-15 in sacks so if the numbers do drop off but still stay steady, it's not going to be the end of the world.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#27 : September 18, 2013, 11:19:55 AM

We are top 6 in almost every category that counts...

Small sample, but it looks like our defense is fixed...   (Crosses Fingers)

Now lets get that freakin' offense back on track!

Reason to believe we will have an above average defense this year, unlike the last few years.

But i hope not too many buy into our good run game against the Saints, who had the worst rush defense last year and were extremly thin on the fornt 7. Lets hope hte Jets game was a fluke.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#28 : September 18, 2013, 11:50:47 AM

Unlike so many posters seem to think, there usually is not just one correct answer or cause.  I think it is Spence, Revis, a more experienced David and Foster, scheme, Clayborn, McCoy etc.
All this and those crappy coaches too! Funny how some 2nd and 3rd year guys have actually picked up the scheme.
Special props to Clayborn and Foster. I was dogging them both this offseason.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#29 : September 18, 2013, 11:57:42 AM

Amazing right? I've noticed the blitzing players are hitting the gaps and not getting swallowed up like last year.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After 2 weeks, the Bucs lead the NFC and tied in the NFL in sacks. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools