Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After 2 weeks, the Bucs lead the NFC and tied in the NFL in sacks. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#30 : September 18, 2013, 12:01:25 PM

I'm very happy with the overall production but have general concerns that excessive sack numbers from back 7 type players historically aren't sustainable. I'm pretty confident in saying Lavonte David won't finish the season with 20 sacks. If you keep running the same blitzes, offensive coordinators usually figure out how to block them. But there's no shame in finishing top 10-15 in sacks so if the numbers do drop off but still stay steady, it's not going to be the end of the world.
But it still means breaking off double teams or keeping a RB and or TE in to help. We'll see more pressures from the front 4 then, no?

freddy

Hall of Famer
#31 : September 18, 2013, 12:15:33 PM

I'm very happy with the overall production but have general concerns that excessive sack numbers from back 7 type players historically aren't sustainable. I'm pretty confident in saying Lavonte David won't finish the season with 20 sacks. If you keep running the same blitzes, offensive coordinators usually figure out how to block them. But there's no shame in finishing top 10-15 in sacks so if the numbers do drop off but still stay steady, it's not going to be the end of the world.

So the offense is able to adjust to the defense, but the defense can't in turn adjust to the offense?  I'd certainly hope that an NFL coordinator would know you can't just run the same thing over and over the exact same way.  That's why they disguise defenses, add new twists, move people around.  I'm pretty confident is saying that there probably isn't a single NFL defense in the last 10 years that has run exactly the same defense with the exact same play calls in the exact same manner in game 16 as they did in Game 1 or 2.  Also, if teams do adapt, they usually do so by changing formations and keeping more people in to block.  In other words, the blitzs are working before the game is even played.  If that TE is kept in to block, he can't be catching passes over the middle.

The Bucs are leading in a statistic that you and many others said all off season and preseason would be a huge problem.  Can't you just be happy that it's not only not the big problem you and many others cried so much about, but that the Bucs are actually one of the best in the league at getting sacks, at least so far.  You know, the bright side.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After 2 weeks, the Bucs lead the NFC and tied in the NFL in sacks. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools