Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "There’s a difference between toughness and stupidity" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 18, 2013, 02:50:17 AM »

Fennelly: Headhunting can’t be part of Bucs’ game

Dashon Goldson (right) was penalized for this hit on Jets tight end Jeff Cumberland in the season opener.
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

By Martin Fennelly | Tribune Staff

Published: September 17, 2013

TAMPA —

Out on the lonesome prairie that is 0-2, it’s time for chief Buc-aroo Greg Schiano to gather his cowboys, maybe in a padded one, to explain how the new NFL works. He ought to learn himself.

Not that new Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety (or is it sheriff?) Dashon Goldson will listen. His lack of repentance has been towering. I’m not expecting repeat offender Goldson to change, even with a suspension on the way and his wallet about to be a quarter-million dollars lighter.

And it’s a contagion that’s spreading safety wide, evidenced by Ahmad Black’s senseless facemask plow job on Saints tight end Jimmy Graham, or Black’s even more senseless celebration.

These guys just don’t get it.

As with Mark Barron’s penalized hit against the Jets, Black’s penalty came after Goldson had been penalized for helmet-to-helmet, for the second time in two weeks, his first two games as a Buc.

There’s a difference between toughness and stupidity, between hard hitting and headhunting.

Schiano has talked about his players adjusting to the rules, “the strike zone,” as he said after Sunday’s game. I’ll believe it when I see he really believes it.

Right now, this nonsense is systemic.

It’s time to rein in the goon squad — it’s hurting this team, as if 0-2 isn’t enough.

Hey, Dashon, why didn’t you just try covering a receiver instead?

Has anyone noticed that another newcomer, Darrelle Revis, hasn’t bothered to announce his presence with authority with an illegal hit? Revis has chosen to simply blanket his man, a lot, like he did when he was making all those Pro Bowls. Now that’s what the Bucs need.

All these penalties, these personal fouls, point at a lack of discipline, and that’s coaching.

Don’t look now, but the Bucs are stuck with a time warp at safety. Goldson and Barron are a pair of thumpers.

Only that’s not this NFL.

It will cost their team.

Goldson is doing exactly that when he sits.

We’re a long way from the days of Night Train and Butkus.

The National Football League has 765 million reasons to rethink its future, one for each dollar that’s part of the league’s settlement with retired players who’ve suffered from concussion-related injuries. When guys are stipulating in their wills that their brains be sent to medical schools ... the NFL, it got off light.

Yes, there is a need to examine each of these hits. Bucs defensive lineman Adrian Clayborn’s hit on Drew Brees last Sunday shouldn’t have been a penalty. You can’t punish clean hits. As it is, I’m not sure someone like the great, clean John Lynch could play in today’s NFL.

Back then, you feared the Bucs defense, because they were that good, not that dirty.

The violence that Goldson is peddling, and younger teammates are apparently buying, can’t be part of this game — or this team.

Plus, it’s embarrassing.

Is anyone out there proud of what the Bucs are doing out there?

The Bucs don’t need more headhunters.

They need their first win.

They should get that through their thick skulls.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 18, 2013, 02:57:05 AM »

Screw that. Knock their freakin' heads off since the refs want to be d-bags.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #2 : September 18, 2013, 07:50:15 AM »

Only stupid hit that deserved a flag and fine was Black's hit on Graham. Other than that, I haven't seen anything dirty or illegal in game one or two....yet we have multiple players paying fines and one suspended.

Meanwhile, Meriweather over in Washington, who has been in trouble before for leaving his feet and launching at a players head.....hit Eddy Lacy helmet to helmet so hard it cause the RB to leave the game. A few minutes later he hits another RB so hard helmet to helmet that Meriweather himself has to leave the game. No flag on on either play, small fine, no suspension.

Seems legit.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #3 : September 18, 2013, 07:52:56 AM »

I agree with Fennelly....no more head-hunting.

It's time to go knee-hunting . F*ck the NFL.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 18, 2013, 07:55:32 AM »

Only stupid hit that deserved a flag and fine was Black's hit on Graham. Other than that, I haven't seen anything dirty or illegal in game one or two....yet we have multiple players paying fines and one suspended.

Meanwhile, Meriweather over in Washington, who has been in trouble before for leaving his feet and launching at a players head.....hit Eddy Lacy helmet to helmet so hard it cause the RB to leave the game. A few minutes later he hits another RB so hard helmet to helmet that Meriweather himself has to leave the game. No flag on on either play, small fine, no suspension.

Seems legit.

It's not right , man . That's all I have to say. We are being targeted.

Trd_Pnch_Bwl

Second String

« #5 : September 18, 2013, 08:02:17 AM »

Seems legit.

It's not right , man . That's all I have to say. We are being targeted.

You are a **CENSORED**ing idiot. Schiano told Black to go for Graham's head to take him out of the game. That much is obvious. Didnt you see S reaction after Graham stayed on? The turd in the punch bowl has to resort to low blows and bush league tactics to try and win a football game that he still **CENSORED**ing lost because he's a turd. Plain and simple. This coach needs to go back to **CENSORED**ing college. Turd just a floatin'!

In the punch bowl

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #6 : September 18, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »

Hello Java !

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #7 : September 18, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »

Fennelly grew a poonanny?

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #8 : September 18, 2013, 10:23:33 AM »

Well, Fennelly is a habitual line stepper on that stupidity stuff.

The dog ate my e-mail.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 18, 2013, 10:26:58 AM »

Playing the Patriots and Tommy Boy is going to be ugly.   I see lots of laundry against the Bucs - again.

Really has taken the defense out of the game.   

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #10 : September 18, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »

Not for me, melon... I like what I'm seeing from this D so far.

The dog ate my e-mail.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : September 18, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »

Stupid article, Revis and Goldson two totally different playing styles let alone positions! SMH

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 18, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »

Playing the Patriots and Tommy Boy is going to be ugly.   I see lots of laundry against the Bucs - again.

Really has taken the defense out of the game.

Agreed. If they could find a middle ground; hit hard without penalties, there still could be plenty of physicality.

Open up the offense. What do we have to lose?

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 18, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »

Not for me, melon... I like what I'm seeing from this D so far.
+1. After waiting soo long for an intimidating defense, yellow laundry and fines are more than welcome over the flag football we've been force fed since the Sapp era. **CENSORED** Roger "Go-to-hell" and the refs

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

ufcguy32

Starter

« #14 : September 18, 2013, 12:35:55 PM »

i think they need to retrain these refs personally. come out with a video on what is considered illegal. ill tell you this. claybornes hit was so perfect that i cant even believe he got called on it. i think the refs should be fined and reviewed on these calls. itll make them think twice before they make a stupid call that can cost a team a turnover touchdown etc. you gotta play the game and right now we are being handcuffed because we have a hard hitting defense who flies to the ball. if the qb makes a throw and leads the receiver to be defenseless. i feel like its on him and he is at fault not the guy who gets his bell rung. just like if you miss a block and you get blindsided....qb is defenseless he doesnt see it coming.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "There’s a difference between toughness and stupidity" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools