Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers cut Connor Barth's pay to $500,000 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: September 18, 2013, 03:26:08 AM

Buccaneers cut Connor Barth's pay to $500,000, alter 2014 terms to create cap space

By Sander Philipse@Sanderrp

Sep 17 2013, 6:31pm

USA TODAY Sports

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are creating some cap space by cutting Connor Barth's salary.

According to Over The Cap, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will pay Connor Barth $500,000 of his $2.3 million base salary this season. The kicker is listed on the Non-Football Injury list and will not play this season after tearing his Achilles in a charity basketball game during the offseason. The Buccaneers could have refused to pay any of the kicker's salary, but that would have reflected poorly on the organization.

In addition, Over The Cap claims the Buccaneers have converted $1.15 million of his base salary for next season to per-game 53-man roster bonuses to create cap space. Incentives like that are only counted against the cap before they're paid if the player reached that performance level the year before. Because Barth will not be on the 53-man roster this year, the incentives do not count against the cap until (and if) they are reached.

In total, these two moves will create $2.95 million in salary cap space for next season. They can create an additional $2 million in cap space by cutting Barth before the 2014 season. The Buccaneers are close to the cap next year, with about $119 million in salary cap spending by my numbers. The salary cap was $123 million and the Buccaneers are likely to carry over somewhere between $5 million and $8 million in 2013 cap space to next year, which should give them some room to breathe. The Bucs also see guarantees on a few expensive contracts run out next season, which could help them to save further space.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/9/17/4742374/buccaneers-cut-connor-barths-pay-to-500000-alter-2014-terms-to-create

Sander Philipse @Bucs_Nation

The Buccaneers added T Randy Richards to their practice squad. Promoted Deveron Carr to roster on Saturday.

4:14 PM - 17 Sep 2013

Live4BUCS

Second String

#1 : September 18, 2013, 07:11:47 AM

Good!

He shouldn't have played basketball.

We would have won last week if he didn't play basketball.

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

#2 : September 18, 2013, 08:36:23 AM

Yeah, shame on him for participating in an event for charity.

Its ok, Ive been here before... - Lovie Smith    ---------     Hes a great coach, hes been there before. - Lavonte David
Hes a great coach.  - Mike Evans

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 18, 2013, 08:44:47 AM

Sorry for Barth but I agree. I have a job that requires me to be at some baseline of physical health. If I break a hand, an arm, a leg or a serious injury that limits how much I can walk, I can't work. Seems to me that these guys don't see their "jobs" in the NFL as similar need to stay healthy.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#4 : September 18, 2013, 09:01:55 AM

It is what it is. Get back soon Barth. If you don't make field goals for us, nobody else will apparently.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 18, 2013, 09:29:30 AM

Yeah, shame on him for participating in an event for charity.
+1

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 18, 2013, 09:34:05 AM

If I was getting paid 2 million dollars a year just a kick a football, no way in hell would I be playing basketball. Yea it was for charity but that wasn't the only way he could donate. Bill Gates donates to charity all the time but you don't see him running the pick the roll or snagging rebounds.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 18, 2013, 09:35:05 AM

It is what it is. Get back soon Barth. If you don't make field goals for us, nobody else will apparently.

Are you second string now?

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 18, 2013, 01:42:30 PM

Quote from: CalicoJack55
Are you second string now?
Yeah... I'm kind of big deal now.

It's going to be hard keeping up you guys... you know with counting all of my money and all.

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#9 : September 18, 2013, 04:14:42 PM

If I was getting paid 2 million dollars a year just a kick a football, no way in hell would I be playing basketball. Yea it was for charity but that wasn't the only way he could donate. Bill Gates donates to charity all the time but you don't see him running the pick the roll or snagging rebounds.

That would make it a slam dunk, for me, to donate to that charity if i got to see that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 18, 2013, 04:41:42 PM

Could happen to anyone. Can't put yourself in a box and live there til game day.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 18, 2013, 04:53:26 PM

Could happen to anyone. Can't put yourself in a box and live there til game day.
2 mill a year would get me a nice box... Somehow I think I would get by.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 18, 2013, 06:39:41 PM

Another in-accurate title. They actually are giving him a BONUS. Players are due ZILCH when they don't get on the field due to a Non-football related injury...

dotASC

Starter
#13 : September 18, 2013, 08:35:02 PM

Thinking a player shouldn't be able to live a normal life during the off-season is absurd. And yes, I consider playing basketball "normal". Accidents happen, and it's not like he was participating in kickboxing death matches. Could have happened while he was jogging or doing other off-season conditioning.

I say this as someone who broke his shoulder *tripping on a blanket waking up from a nap*.

Also, brilliant financing moves by the Bucs. Love to see this kind of loophole explotation!

Lastly, let's all remember that Barth was essentially our 2011 MVP.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#14 : September 18, 2013, 09:15:14 PM

Thinking a player shouldn't be able to live a normal life during the off-season is absurd. And yes, I consider playing basketball "normal". Accidents happen, and it's not like he was participating in kickboxing death matches. Could have happened while he was jogging or doing other off-season conditioning.

I say this as someone who broke his shoulder *tripping on a blanket waking up from a nap*.

Also, brilliant financing moves by the Bucs. Love to see this kind of loophole explotation!

Lastly, let's all remember that Barth was essentially our 2011 MVP.

Bingo. It'd be in one's best interest to never ride in a car or enter a bathroom. High death risk.

Sig change requested by \"threadkiller\". I delivered with the most disturbing thing I came across on the college boards x)

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers cut Connor Barth's pay to $500,000 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools