Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Walter Football has us picking « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

: September 18, 2013, 09:03:55 AM

#5.  No argument there.  But if we are picking that high it would be obvious that Freeman is gone so why does he have us taking a OT, Jake Mathews.  Now I got nothing against Mathews and would gladly welcome him and we do need to address the OL in the draft but come on its got to be a QB.  Now at quick glance he doesn't have any other QBs going in the 1st after Boyd at #3 and he does have us taking Alabama's QB A.J.  McCarron in the 2nd.  Manziel is also avail. There as well in this mock.  He has him going a few picks later to the Eagles.  Would this be a solid draft in your opinion or not a difference maker?

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 18, 2013, 09:09:24 AM

Agreed.

There is one and only one draft pick that matters in the 2014 draft. QB. Even if we need to pull off a Redskins type trade, we need a QB and we need one very badly.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

acacius

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 18, 2013, 09:13:42 AM

#5.  No argument there.  But if we are picking that high it would be obvious that Freeman is gone so why does he have us taking a OT, Jake Mathews.  Now I got nothing against Mathews and would gladly welcome him and we do need to address the OL in the draft but come on its got to be a QB.  Now at quick glance he doesn't have any other QBs going in the 1st after Boyd at #3 and he does have us taking Alabama's QB A.J.  McCarron in the 2nd.  Manziel is also avail. There as well in this mock.  He has him going a few picks later to the Eagles.  Would this be a solid draft in your opinion or not a difference maker?

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php
I think you answered your own question there.  Based on his draft board, there was no QB worth taking with the #5 pick.  That's pretty much the worst-case (and all too common) scenario for the team, imo.  Whether it's Hundley or or Mariota declaring or someone else, I'm very much hoping there are three QBs who wind up with top 5 grades at the end of the season.  That'd make it a whole lot easier for the team to get one.

As far as it goes, it's a reasonable enough draft with his board apparently looking the way it does. In general I'm not thrilled with the idea of sub-first round quarterbacks.  They *can* work out, but it's all too easy to wind up on the carosel of the damned going with those.  I'd almost rather roll with Glennon and hope that if it doesn't work out, the team would wind up with better luck in the following year's editition of franchise quarterback roulette.  I wouldn't be able to fault the team for not going that route though.

I'd also be perfectly happy if the team went with a Redskins-type trade.  It'd be potentially franchise killing if they grabbed the wrong guy, but an eternity of being a mediocre-poor team isn't a good thing either.
: September 18, 2013, 09:15:50 AM acacius

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 18, 2013, 09:15:05 AM

What do they have us picking the following year?

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 18, 2013, 09:17:23 AM

What do they have us picking the following year?
They have us taking Hundley with the first overall pick in 2015 with the caveat that the order is "somewhat random".  I'll add that it's a pretty old mock, going back to July, and some of the picks and their reasoning reflect that.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 18, 2013, 09:22:02 AM

It was updated 9/18.  Sucks we won't have a 3rd rounder either. Could use a TE or OG or DE there.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 18, 2013, 09:28:02 AM

Matthews would be solid value at a position we haven't invested in young talent in eons, but, man, I hope there's a QB worth taking. I think there are a lot of promising prospects after Bridgewater and Boyd that with another 10 or so college games could rocket up the board. Hundley would seem to be an option as well as Mariota and Mettenberger.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 18, 2013, 09:28:48 AM

I mean the 2015 draft is old.  The 2014 one is current, yes.  And yeah, I was a bit bummed out reflecting on the lack of a third round pick as well.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 18, 2013, 09:29:14 AM

I like Hundley enough to take him with our first if he comes out this year.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 18, 2013, 09:32:43 AM

I watched part of the Nebraska UCLA gsme and turned it off when Neb was up 21-3.  Couldn't believe that UCLA won 41-21.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 18, 2013, 09:39:06 AM

If we are not in a position to get Bridgewater rather just roll with Glennon and pick up a capable backup in FA. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 18, 2013, 10:06:00 AM

Charlie's mock has us at #7 and taking a TE. 
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php

Interesting comment about Dom passing up other TEs because he wanted to save face on the Stocker pick. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 18, 2013, 10:09:11 AM

CC has us taking a DE in the 2nd.  Jeffcoat from UT.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 18, 2013, 10:14:47 AM

Charlie's mock has us at #7 and taking a TE. 
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php.
I understand the theory, but that's worth a bit of an urgh for me.  As badly as the team needs a TE, I'm not sure the team needs a TE drafted in the top 10.  It doesn't help that I'm unconvinced that Seferian-Jenkins is worth that high of a pick.  He's a first rounder, sure.  I'm just not sure he's that high of a first rounder.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler

#14 : September 18, 2013, 10:40:47 AM

Our team is more talented than the Redskins when they made the trade to draft RGIII, I don't see why we wouldn't/shouldn't attempt like hell to pull off something similar for Teddy or whomever they feel is the top QB.

Swing for the mother**CENSORED**g fences! We didn't trade up for Suh (which turned out okay, I guess) and we didn't trade up Aldon or J.J. (Fail). Go all in! We are alreqdy down a third rounder. Our team is still pretty young.

All that being said, I think we should definitely address our OL if we decide to wuss out and not draft a first round QB.

The quest for .500 begins...
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Walter Football has us picking « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools