Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bruce Arians looking forward to the 200 million dollar matchup « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 28, 2013, 02:50:41 AM »

Bucs CB Revis to take on Cards’ Fitzgerald Sunday

Bucs cornerback Darrelle Revis will get a stern test of his rehabbed knee on Sunday against Larry Firtzgerald.
 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

By Ira Kaufman | Tribune Staff

Published: September 27, 2013

TAMPA —

Heading into Sunday’s matchup with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, new Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians sounds like a man intrigued by the game within the game.

On the Tampa Bay sideline stands Darrelle Revis, perhaps the NFL’s best cover cornerback since Deion Sanders. His counterpart is wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who has more catches through his first 143 games (779) than any player in NFL history, including Jerry Rice.

“You’re talking about two guys with about $200 million between the two of them,’’ Arians said of the anticipated duel. “They ought to put on a show. They can’t cancel each other out ... nobody wants to see that. I think they’ll both win some and lose some.’’

The only other time Revis faced the Cardinals, he intercepted two Kurt Warner passes in 2008, returning one for a 32-yard touchdown as the Jets won 56-35. Fitzgerald caught eight passes for 122 yards.

“Every week is an opportunity,’’ said Revis, acquired from New York in an April trade that cost the Bucs a first-round draft choice. “I know Larry very well, I know him personally. It’s cool. It’s competition.’’

A few years ago, Revis and Fitzgerald participated together in an ad campaign for Nike.

On Sunday, we’ll find out who can just do it.

“Will they be on each other all the time? Probably not,’’ Bucs coach Greg Schiano said. “But when they are, you are talking about two Hall of Famers, so it should be exciting.’’

Former Tampa Bay cornerback Ronde Barber, who now works as a Fox analyst, said the Cardinals routinely move Fitzgerald around the field to create matchup problems.

“Arias told me Larry will be in the slot as much as he is outside,’’ said Barber, who worked Arizona’s 27-24 loss at St. Louis in Week 1. “I don’t know that Revis matches guys inside.’’

Through three games, Revis appears completely recovered from October knee surgery. He shadowed Marques Colston of the Saints for much of the Week 2 matchup, but Fitzgerald is a unique talent, a 6-foot-3, 218-pound target skilled in shielding off defenders.

“Obviously we want to see some more production, but it’s been great,’’ said new quarterback Carson Palmer, who has hooked up with Fitzgerald 15 times during Arizona’s 1-2 start. “When the ball is going to his side of the field, it’s been completed just about every time, it seems like.’’

Fitzgerald, 30, already has more career receptions than 18 of the 22 receivers in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. This will be Fitzgerald’s first game in Raymond James Stadium since he caught a pair of scoring passes from Warner in a thrilling Super Bowl loss to Pittsburgh in 2009.

“No, I don’t have any good memories from this stadium at all,’’ said Fitzgerald, whose current streak of 133 consecutive games with at least one catch ranks second in the league to Atlanta tight end Tony Gonzalez (196).

Because Tampa Bay plays a variety of coverages, it’s doubtful Revis will follow Fitzgerald all over the field.

“Like we’ve done in the past, we’re going to use Darrelle in different kinds of ways,’’ Bucs defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan said. “But that’s exactly why you have a guy like that, to cover the other team’s top receiver.’’

Although they are 0-3, the Bucs have played solid pass defense a year after yielding the most passing yards in the league.

The additions of Revis and safety Dashon Goldson have fortified the secondary and a revived pass rush could make things difficult for Palmer and Fitzgerald, who has been nursing a sore hamstring.

“I’ve played him before, a couple of years ago, and I’m excited he’s healthy, I’m excited he’s back,’’ Revis said. “It’s going to be fun whoever I line up against. You never know, I might not line up on Larry.”

If that’s the case, rookie Johnthan Banks or second-year pro Leonard Johnson will draw the assignment of containing a seven-time Pro Bowler.

“He’s a tremendous football player,’’ Schiano said. “Not just a tremendous receiver — he’s a football player. He loves the game and he plays determined. He’s not the fastest guy in the NFL, but the guy makes plays that are unbelievable.’’

ikaufman@tampatrib.com

(813) 259-7833

Twitter: @IKaufmanTBO

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 28, 2013, 10:59:31 AM »

Revis should have a very good game. That is IF these idiots play him correctly.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

seanbassak

Pro Bowler

« #2 : September 28, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »

I wouldn't be even a little bit worried if I knew that they'd actually just let Revis sheild Fitz, but seeing as how there's likely to be an infuriating amount of zone and Revis covering other guys I'm mildly concerned.

Not living, just killing time.

Bayside4Life

Starter

« #3 : September 28, 2013, 12:59:30 PM »

I think we will see more man to man (at least from Revis...I have seen the Bucs playing man with Revis and zone with everyone else at times this year).  Fitz is the first true elite WR we have faced all year, so I think the approach will be a little different.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 28, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »

This isn't even a story.

There is no way that our coaches are smart enough to take Fitz out of the game by putting Revis on him every down.

I am sure that we will be out coached once again and Fitz will just go in motion and end up with Leonard Johnson covering him.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #5 : September 28, 2013, 07:30:24 PM »

This isn't even a story.

There is no way that our coaches are smart enough to take Fitz out of the game by putting Revis on him every down.

I am sure that we will be out coached once again and Fitz will just go in motion and end up with Leonard Johnson covering him.

Yup. These guys really are terrible playcallers.

They'll probably have revis blitzing and have clayborn drop back and cover (lol) Fitz.

After this game, hopefully they'll be found out by the "smarter" group of us, and we can start to agree more often instead of this "but, but, freeman, but..." nonsense.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #6 : September 28, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »

I'm looking forward to Schiano and company putting LJ on Fitz all day because they think its best to just shut down the worst WR the Cardinals field with Revis.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : September 28, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »

I think we will see more man to man (at least from Revis...I have seen the Bucs playing man with Revis and zone with everyone else at times this year).  Fitz is the first true elite WR we have faced all year, so I think the approach will be a little different.

Colston ?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #8 : September 28, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »

Colston ?

"Well, looking back on it, we probably should've had revis on Fitz toward the end of the game."

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 28, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »

Colston ?

"Well, looking back on it, we probably should've had revis on Fitz toward the end of the game."

That quote was very disturbing, it wouldn't of been so bad coming from a fan.  but our DC is sayin that?     SMH

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #10 : September 28, 2013, 10:22:38 PM »

This isn't even a story.

I hope not.  :-[

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #11 : September 28, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »

Wait anti. I didn't type that correctly.

.."Yo, lookin' back on that, ya know, we should've had reevis over dare on that colston guy at da' end of da' game."

ufcguy32

Starter

« #12 : September 28, 2013, 11:22:27 PM »

hopefully this is coach speak bc last time all he talked about was revis playing man on man . now they r saying he may not play him lol. look revis should be on his jock all game and shut him down. anyother game plan is not gonna work. god i hope these coaches will for one week learn their lessons
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bruce Arians looking forward to the 200 million dollar matchup « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools