Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: On the day Obamacare starts - Look across the Atlantic « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

spartan

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 01, 2013, 10:00:07 PM

^ I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, (possibly lying), but every single person I have shown the California marketplace, is excited to see that their costs will be going down. I had one diehard Republican friend text me this morning that his health insurance would rise to $220/month because ******** Obamacare. I typed in his age, 30, income 20k (waiter), and single, and his bronze was 20/month, silver was around 75.

Maybe he did the honest thing and included his tips? Minimum wage is16K a year and I am sure California does better than that.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 01, 2013, 10:21:40 PM

I just checked what I'd have to pay for the "Bronze package" as a poor college student. A whopping $1/month. That is unreal.

So, u think it is fair that you pay nothing for your healthcare and my kids have to pay 3k each?

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

#17 : October 01, 2013, 11:55:41 PM

I just checked what I'd have to pay for the "Bronze package" as a poor college student. A whopping $1/month. That is unreal.

So, u think it is fair that you pay nothing for your healthcare and my kids have to pay 3k each?

Your kids pay 3k each? I think the devout republicans are grossly exaggerating what they have to pay. Show me some evidence. If I was anti-Obama I could just make something up like, "I'm the only worker in the house, we make 40k, and I have to spend 8k on healthcare." I'm not buying this. I've done the assessment for 10 people now, and it's the same story, health care got cheaper.

From the 10+ people that I have done the assessment for, not one has seen an increase in health care coverage.

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

#18 : October 02, 2013, 12:23:20 AM

^ I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, (possibly lying), but every single person I have shown the California marketplace, is excited to see that their costs will be going down. I had one diehard Republican friend text me this morning that his health insurance would rise to $220/month because ******** Obamacare. I typed in his age, 30, income 20k (waiter), and single, and his bronze was 20/month, silver was around 75.

Maybe he did the honest thing and included his tips? Minimum wage is16K a year and I am sure California does better than that.

I work at fine dining. If I work 40 hours a week, my checks are usually between $20-100 after tax on tips. I can't work 40 hours anymore though, I am a full time college student.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 02, 2013, 03:53:28 AM

Everyone's cost went down! It's a free healthcare utopia! Free! Free!

So, allegedly, there are more people getting health care now, more overhead for administration, and yet, somehow the total cost went down. Amazing, isn't it?

spartan

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 02, 2013, 08:32:04 AM

Your kids pay 3k each? I think the devout republicans are grossly exaggerating what they have to pay. Show me some evidence. If I was anti-Obama I could just make something up like, "I'm the only worker in the house, we make 40k, and I have to spend 8k on healthcare." I'm not buying this. I've done the assessment for 10 people now, and it's the same story, health care got cheaper.

From the 10+ people that I have done the assessment for, not one has seen an increase in health care coverage.

I currently pay $3.5k for my families healthcare. I provided the output from healthcare.gov showing a Bronze packet would cost me $11.5K.  That is approx 3k for each person in my family. Straight from the horses mouth dude, buy it or no, indisputable fact.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 02, 2013, 08:34:52 AM

I work at fine dining. If I work 40 hours a week, my checks are usually between $20-100 after tax on tips. I can't work 40 hours anymore though, I am a full time college student.

You work for 50c an hour? Paper boys get paid more than that.

Even taking the max, I don't think you are paying any taxes on $5200 PA. You are either getting royally stiffed or you got your figures mixed up.
: October 02, 2013, 08:38:36 AM spartan

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

#22 : October 02, 2013, 11:15:00 AM

I work for $8/hour. I remember full-time servers at my previous job that would have negative checks, they tax your tips so hard that your minimum wage is negative.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 02, 2013, 12:01:50 PM

I work for $8/hour. I remember full-time servers at my previous job that would have negative checks, they tax your tips so hard that your minimum wage is negative.

Still struggling to understand this.

8x40 = 320 pw before tips. If you take home 20 your effective tax rate is 94%, and that is not including tips. If you take home 100, that is a tax rate of 70%.

At 16K per year you should not be paying ANY taxes, IRS tables start at 25K if I recall so how come you're getting hammered so bad?

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 02, 2013, 02:38:48 PM

"8x40 = 320 pw before tips. If you take home 20 your effective tax rate is 94%, and that is not including tips. If you take home 100, that is a tax rate of 70%."

Believe they're required to claim 8% of sales. Taxed at 20%, he needs $1600 in minimum gratuity to take that check, requiring $20,000 in sales for the week.

It's a real high end restaurant.
: October 02, 2013, 02:42:42 PM Bucfucious

spartan

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 02, 2013, 03:44:59 PM

"8x40 = 320 pw before tips. If you take home 20 your effective tax rate is 94%, and that is not including tips. If you take home 100, that is a tax rate of 70%."

Believe they're required to claim 8% of sales. Taxed at 20%, he needs $1600 in minimum gratuity to take that check, requiring $20,000 in sales for the week.

And you still want to live in California? Where is the incentive to work there?

I assume you get it all back at the end of the year in the guise of a refund? Otherwise whats the point?

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 02, 2013, 04:34:04 PM

I live in Wyoming. Haven't been paid to work in a restaurant in twenty years. Was just reviewing WC's numbers. I think he's fibbing a bit, although I do know service people at Disney who make twice that.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 02, 2013, 04:45:38 PM

I live in Wyoming. Haven't been paid to work in a restaurant in twenty years. Was just reviewing WC's numbers. I think he's fibbing a bit, although I do know service people at Disney who make twice that.

Sorry got my people mixed up. Fibbing a bit? Would you work 40 hrs for 20 bucks? Wouldn't cover the gas to get to and from work.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 02, 2013, 05:14:39 PM

What's he need money for? Obama's going to make everything free. Free! Free!

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

#29 : October 04, 2013, 01:21:49 AM

The previous restaurant I worked at, servers would have negative checks. They would make so much in tips ~200/night, that they would owe money on pay day. I had to go to a slower restaurant without a 2am closing time so I can continue to go to school. Typical weeks with my current schedule are 20 hours, so for a 40 hour check, I'd get around $120 after taxes on much lower tips than the previous restaurant. Servers don't have a set tip % they claim, it is based off of proven credit card tips. Servers claim more than proven credit card tips because IRS will go down hard on a restaurant when they notice everyone is declaring less than 10%.

Sadly, I made 16k last year working between classes, and yes, federal refund is almost completely refunded. Still had to pay state tax, and Social Security, and Medicare.

Who wouldn't want to live in CA honestly? The only state I'd rather live in would be Hawaii.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: On the day Obamacare starts - Look across the Atlantic « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools