Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Official 2013-2014 Tampa Bay Lightning Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

: October 03, 2013, 04:57:39 PM

The Lightning are back tonight against Boston. They had a phenomenal preseason going 5-2. Gone is Vincent Lecavelier and Marty St. Louis takes over as team captain. They have some new faces including center Valteri Filpula from the Detroit Redwings. Most of the newcomers are guys from the Syracuse Crunch (Tampa Bays Minor Affiliate) who has been to back to back Calder Cup Finals. Tyler Johnson, Richard Panik, and Ondrej Palat will take over the third line duties and have a lot of chemistry going in. They were easily the Crunch's most effective line. They have a tough jump to make into the NHL.  Andrej Sustr the 6'8 defenseman the Lightning signed last year was the unexpected player to make the team gives the team a solid prospect in the back end.

The surprise team cuts were 3rd overall pick Jonathan Drouin (Sent back to Halifax) and 6th overall pick Brett Connolly (back to Syracuse). Brett Connolly had possibly the best camp of anybody but still didnt make the team. This is due to our third line being the most NHL ready and have great chemistry they didnt want to break it up. Connolly will be our first call up if anybody gets injured. Drouin will get a year in Juniors to get bigger and learn the center position. GM Steve Yzerman said that he wants him to play alot of minutes and he wouldnt get that opportunity in TB this year. Steven Stamkos will enter his 6th season in the league and will be chasing another scoring title.

Overall my prediction of this team is they will not make playoffs because they are too young and need to learn to play the pro speed of the game before they contend. They also lack the goaltending in my opinion. I believe our defense will be better and our scoring will still be there (3rd in the NHL last year) but it will come to goaltending. If they can come together quickly and HC Jon Coopers philosophy transfers to the NHL quickly they could push for a playoff spot. I wont put money on that but I do think the team will be very fun to watch. They will be a gritty and tough team to play against as that is what Cooper likes. We should see a lot of goals and fights. I will be at the forum as much as possible. GO LIGHTNING!!

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#1 : October 03, 2013, 05:13:22 PM

I know Zilch about hockey.  What NFL team would you compare the Lighting to?  Not so much in the current year but overall as a franchise. 

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#2 : October 04, 2013, 04:44:00 AM

0-1

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 04, 2013, 11:43:19 AM

I know Zilch about hockey.  What NFL team would you compare the Lighting to?  Not so much in the current year but overall as a franchise.

That's a good question. I think the Lightning would compare to a Detroit Lions. They have some star players but also a lot of young players still learning the way. Some good offensive weapons that will put points up on any given day any opponent but still lack the defensive quality to contend. They will get there but need to make sure the goaltending and defense works itself out. It will take time but I do think the team will be fun to watch this year. I don't think anybody would be dissappointed when they go watch them at the forum win or lose. They will be entertaining. Goals, fights, big hits should all be there this year. They play in a tough division though Detroit, Boston, Toronto will all be very tough opponents for the Lightning as those teams are much more experienced and better all around teams. Lightning are just coming out of their rebuild and just getting to know the pro game. So I wouldn't be surprised if they got another lottery pick which wouldn't be horrible. They have a very bright future and it won't be too long before you see this team be a dominant team. The kids just need to grow.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 06, 2013, 02:26:51 AM

1-1 good game. Its going to come to goaltending in the end and Bishop stood up to the best team in the league by far. They have played well the last few games. They could have won the last game If the defense didn't screw up a few times. If they win the next game things are really looking up and I think they are playing really disciplined hockey. Let's hope it continues.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 10, 2013, 09:56:23 PM

Stamkos with the hat trick!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 10, 2013, 10:54:10 PM

What an arse beating tonight.  I don't think the score was indicative of how dominate we were

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 12, 2013, 07:06:56 PM

and now another top team - Pittsburgh walked all over the Lightning last year, another chance to show where they fit in the scheme of things...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 12, 2013, 07:42:35 PM

I love and miss Vinny boy, but damn Filppula has made a huge impact already.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 12, 2013, 08:25:42 PM

Lindback freaking sucks!

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 12, 2013, 09:49:36 PM

Hey look, Lindback gets the start and it's back to allowing 4+ goals. The offense can never score often enough to keep up with the number of goals this guy routinely gives up. It's clear Bishop is our number 1, I'm not even certain Lindback is NHL quality to be honest.

He gave up three goals or more in 10 of his 24 games (21 starts) last season. Six of those 10 were four goal games. He gave up one goal in only three of his starts, and had zero shutouts. This season he has given up three and five goals in his two starts. The guy is a bum, hopefully Bishop stays healthy.
: October 12, 2013, 09:58:01 PM Escobar06

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 13, 2013, 12:05:17 AM

Pittsburgh is pretty powerful team, but it's hard to ignore the numbers

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 13, 2013, 12:11:57 AM

If Bishop played tonight we had have one that game no doubt. He would have given up maybe 2 goals. More than enough to win tonight.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 15, 2013, 08:13:15 PM

A LOT of quality scoring chancing. We are up 2-0, but we should have at least one more goal. Oh well let's keep up the good work! Bishop is the man!

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 15, 2013, 10:05:01 PM

They are playing great so far this year. Have been in every game so far and against good teams. If Bishop keeps playing like this and we have players like Killorn, Filpulla, Johnson, and Palat picking up the secondary scoring like they have this team may have a much better season than expected. Great stuff so far. Love Gudas too! Dude is a beast! Go lightning!!
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Official 2013-2014 Tampa Bay Lightning Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools