Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL 2013 Coaching Hot Seat....Gary Kubiak Joins the Fun « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : October 18, 2013, 03:56:12 AM »

NFL 2013 Coaching Hot Seat: Gary Kubiak Joins the Fun

By Erik Lambert - Oct 15th, 2013 at 10:35 am

Sep 9, 2013; San Diego, CA, USA; Texans head coach Gary Kubiak looks at his play list during first quarter NFL action against the Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium.
 Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY

As teams approach the halfway point of the 2013 NFL season it’s clear who the contenders are for the playoffs and for the first overall pick in the draft.  Which head coaches might not live to see either event?

Tom Coughlin – New York Giants – Seat:  Mild

Normally starting the season 0-6 would have the ravenous newspapers of the Big Apple all over firing the head coach but after helping the New York Giants to two Super Bowls since 2007, he’s earned a long leash towards his job security.  The simple fact is injuries and roster turnover haven’t done Tom Coughlin any favors.  His defense is a mess and Eli Manning is suffering behind shoddy protection and little to no help in the running game.  Coughlin has proven he can turn a team around quickly.  He may not be able to save the 2013 campaign, but he’ll be back for at least one more go next year.

Greg Schiano – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Seat:  Hot

There is no question the head coach on the fast track to getting fired is Greg Schiano.  Aside from the rumors that he’s unpopular with his players, as evidenced by the feud with Josh Freeman, his Tampa Bay Buccaneers have followed up a 7-9 season with an 0-5 start.  It really is shocking considering all the talent they have on both offense and defense.  One glaring area that Schiano hasn’t fixed is quarterback.  Rookie Mike Glennon replaced the ineffective Freeman but still can’t get the Bucs off the snide.  Unless the second-year head coach gets a win soon, Tampa Bay will go shopping for somebody who can.

Dennis Allen – Oakland Raiders – Seat:  Mild

Al Davis may have fired the head coach by now but in reality everybody knew that the Oakland Raiders brought Dennis Allen in to inherit a bad roster in need of rebuilding.  Such a process takes time and unfortunately injuries have continues to hamper progress.  Still, it seems Allen has them playing hard.  A big win against San Diego was the first sign of life, and the surprising rise of Terrelle Pryor at quarterback should be a nice compliment to the defense Allen is trying to build with GM Reggie McKenzie.  He is safe for the time being, but will need a few more wins to justify his mission.

Gary Kubiak – Houston Texans – Seat:  Warm

The fact that two-straight playoff appearances haven’t quelled the outcries for blood is pretty much an indication of how long Houston fans have wallowed in getting so close to a football title and coming up short.  Gary Kubiak was expected to get the Houston Texans over the hump in 2013 after falling short in New England last January.  Instead his team has stumbled to a 2-4 start complete with late collapses and straight up beat downs.  Matt Schaub has lost his ability to play efficient, effective quarterback.  As a result the team is in danger of falling out of contention early.  Kubiak must rescue the slide before it gets out of hand, or his job will be the first thing brought up for changes.

Leslie Frazier – Minnesota Vikings – Seat:  Warm

He got the team to the NFL playoffs last season but don’t think that has given Leslie Frazier a very big grace period with the Minnesota Vikings.  Brad Childress went to the NFC championship in 2009 and was gone ten games into 2010.  Frazier making the playoffs is nice, but after an active off-season to upgrade the Vikings roster, fans fully expected the team to compete for the NFC North division title.  Instead they are 1-4 and well behind their three rivals in that race.  The first signs of Frazier losing control of the team was when management brought in quarterback Josh Freeman despite reports the head coach wasn’t interested in him.  Something like that is never a good sign, which is why Frazier needs to start winning fast.

http://nflmocks.com/2013/10/15/nfl-2013-coaching-hot-seat-gary-kubiak-joins-fun/

Mayhem

Hall of Famer

« #1 : October 18, 2013, 07:18:25 AM »

It will be a HC circus again this off season for sure!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #2 : October 18, 2013, 07:20:47 AM »

My new #1 choice for HC......Gary Kubiak. Texans would be idiots to let him go. He's like a modern day Bill Cowher. They just need a real QB. The rest of that team is very impressive.

pzimm7778

Starter
« #3 : October 18, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »

I truly thought after last weeks performance Schiano would be gone by his Monday press conference. If they lose Sunday, anyone think he's gone by Thursday?

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

« #4 : October 18, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »

Kubiak will be fired before Schiprano.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
« #5 : October 18, 2013, 12:44:04 PM »

I don't think they let schiano go until end of the seasion

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #6 : October 18, 2013, 03:45:04 PM »

Texans are loaded with talent and never do shlt .

I do not want Kubiak.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #7 : October 18, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »

F*ck Kubiak.

I wouldn't even want the guy as an OC. Stay far far far away.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #8 : October 18, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »

My new #1 choice for HC......Gary Kubiak. Texans would be idiots to let him go. He's like a modern day Bill Cowher. They just need a real QB. The rest of that team is very impressive.

I'm not sold on Kubiak.

Even the successful teams need to adapt. Throw in some wrinkles.

Watching the Texans this year the opposing DBs are breaking on routes before the WRs. I don't think any QB outside of Aaron Rodgers would be successful in that offense.

This is what sets the Bellicheat's and Harbaugh's apart from the rest. Kubiak has not adapted and put those wrinkles in the offense. He has been figured out.

Just my observations.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #9 : October 18, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »

I truly thought after last weeks performance Schiano would be gone by his Monday press conference. If they lose Sunday, anyone think he's gone by Thursday?
Doubtful, that would be a helluva task to put on the interim HC. They would likely wait till after that game to fire him and give the interim plenty of time to prepare for the next game. Likely though we are stuck with him for the rest of the year.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #10 : October 18, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »

I haven't watched enough Texans games to make an opinion on the x and o's, but Kubiak took that team from nothing to a playoff contender over the last few seasons.  FWIW, I live in Denver and listen to the local sports radio guys a lot.  Kubiak is still extremely well respected and regarded by the local community.  Every time the Broncos play the Texans the local radio guys shower lots of praise on the former O.C.  I doubt anyone would say the same about Schiano.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #11 : October 18, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »

My new #1 choice for HC......Gary Kubiak.

You're kidding, right??

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #12 : October 18, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »

What has Kubiak done really? His offense looks like it relies heavily on the run and he has one of the best WRs in the NFL. No thanks.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #13 : October 18, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »

I haven't watched enough Texans games to make an opinion on the x and o's, but Kubiak took that team from nothing to a playoff contender over the last few seasons.  FWIW, I live in Denver and listen to the local sports radio guys a lot.  Kubiak is still extremely well respected and regarded by the local community.  Every time the Broncos play the Texans the local radio guys shower lots of praise on the former O.C.  I doubt anyone would say the same about Schiano.

That's all true and I think he is a great football coach but the question is can he sustain the success?

Sustaining the success after opponents have had 4 to 5 years to study you is difficult.

You need wrinkles and new personnel that they don't have film on and you must create plays that work with the personnel that you have.

I have seen a few condensed Texans games this year and opposing DBs seem to know what is coming by the formation that the Texans are lined up in.

If Kubiak can fix his offense I would be impressed.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #14 : October 18, 2013, 10:19:58 PM »

Texans are loaded with talent and never do shlt .

I do not want Kubiak.

If only they had a little bit of that talent at the QB position, we all would be talking about what a great HC Kubiak is.  Everyone knows its tough to win in the NFL without a QB.  Buc fans should know that better than anyone.

I can't see him getting canned. Him or Tomlin.

The Texans ownership loves Wade, so maybe they push Kubiak out the door, so Wade can take over, but I doubt it.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL 2013 Coaching Hot Seat....Gary Kubiak Joins the Fun « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools