Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A big fat "NO THANK YOU" to Clowney! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#30 : October 27, 2013, 05:50:05 AM

Clowney wouldn't be my first choice either, but I don't think he's as bad as some on this board make him out to be.  He's still a physical freak, and with the right coaching he's going to be a monster.  Don't be surprised if he's the target if the Glazers hire Lovie.  I think Lovie and Marinelli (if he comes with his friend) could turn him into one of the best very early.

With all that being said, I'd still want a QB first.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 27, 2013, 09:33:59 AM

Watching this Missouri game.. Clowney is way overrated. He's probably not even the best DE on the field.

No one should ever call this dude a once in a decade prospect.
I only watched a little of the game, but from what I saw Clowney was blowing past the left tackle on every play. The problem is in college football they run the ball 60% of the time and often when they pass they get rid of the ball in half a second or roll out the QB away so Mizzou was largely able to neutralize him. In the NFL the QBs throw 60% of the time and most of the time they're throwing, the QB is at that spot just past where the left tackle sets up.

Clowney is not that exceptional of a college player because his skills don't 100% suit what college offenses do. He's an exceptional pro prospect because his skills suit exactly what pro teams need. He's built to disrupt 5 and 7-step drops.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#32 : October 27, 2013, 09:39:35 AM

Watching this Missouri game.. Clowney is way overrated. He's probably not even the best DE on the field.

I only watched a little of the game, but from what I saw Clowney was blowing past the left tackle on every play. The problem is in college football they run the ball 60% of the time and often when they pass they get rid of the ball in half a second or roll out the QB away so Mizzou was largely able to neutralize him. In the NFL the QBs throw 60% of the time and most of the time they're throwing, the QB is at that spot just past where the left tackle sets up.

Clowney is not that exceptional of a college player because his skills don't 100% suit what college offenses do. He's an exceptional pro prospect because his skills suit exactly what pro teams need. He's built to disrupt 5 and 7-step drops.
I would take Barr over Clowney because he's a lot more active and just as disruptive.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 27, 2013, 09:41:29 AM

I would take Barr over Clowney because he's a lot more active and just as disruptive.
It may be the case there is a pass rusher better than Clowney in this draft. I'm just speaking to his general ability as a prospect.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 27, 2013, 09:44:07 AM

Clowney is way overrated.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#35 : October 27, 2013, 09:51:15 AM

It may be the case there is a pass rusher better than Clowney in this draft. I'm just speaking to his general ability as a prospect.
Well I agree what you point about how he projects in the NFL but he's so just lazy or disinterested I would be scared as hell investing that high a pick.. I understand not every player will be full tilt all game but when he dogs it he sticks out way more than others.

BucFanMatt

Starter
#36 : October 27, 2013, 10:57:09 AM

I think Winston is going to be better than any of them.

Yep, the Bucs may be tanking it a season too soon.  I hear some here talking Tajh Boyd.  As a Clemson fan, I love the guy, but please God don't let the Bucs draft him.  Great college QB, but he isn't the kind of guy who I believe can be great at the next level.  He'll probably have some success early using his legs, but it won't last.  He relies too much on some very good receivers laying out to catch off-target passes while playing against loose college coverage.  Tajh can be very accurate at times, but that accuracy just disappears on him too frequently.  I also think Tajh is a little too emotionally fragile.  He has trouble bouncing back from adversity at times.  Winston on the other hand, I am just more impressed with him every time I watch him.  I thought all the hype around him after is first start was just stupid, but I'm a believer now.  He is smart, he's accurate, and he is a fiery confident leader.  He has a real shot to be elite at the next level if he doesn't decide to play baseball instead.

\"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither\" -- Benjamin Franklin

watson

Hall of Famer
#37 : October 27, 2013, 11:03:30 AM

Well I agree what you point about how he projects in the NFL but he's so just lazy or disinterested I would be scared as hell investing that high a pick.. I understand not every player will be full tilt all game but when he dogs it he sticks out way more than others.
Living near Columbia, I see all the SC games and I wouldn't draft him in the first round.  He is a 2 or 3 play a game player and can be neutralized by running right at him.  If you want a situational pass rusher then he is your man.  But down to down....no way.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 27, 2013, 11:09:07 AM

I saw Mizzou run at him a lot, but you can teach a player to play the run. You can't teach teach players to teleport five yards from where they line up. Many young, explosive pass rushers aren't disciplined against the run. That's what you have coaches for.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#39 : October 27, 2013, 11:13:34 AM

I saw Mizzou run at him a lot, but you can teach a player to play the run. You can't teach teach players to teleport five yards from where they line up. Many young, explosive pass rushers aren't disciplined against the run. That's what you have coaches for.
Glennon pans out, would you draft Clowney at #3 ?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 27, 2013, 11:20:32 AM

Glennon pans out, would you draft Clowney at #3 ?
I'm not smart enough at this point to say Clowney is worth the #3, #6, #10, or #15 picks. I just think most of the knocks against him are unfounded and/or irrelevant.

swamp_bats

Starter
#41 : October 27, 2013, 11:34:41 AM

If we are picking at 3 or decide Glennon is the man, then there is no player we should be picking other than Clowney. Especially if you can pair this man up with Rod and Lovie.

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#42 : October 27, 2013, 12:33:38 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/9/10/4713760/jadeveon-clowney-south-carolina-stats-2013

A little old but I agree. From what I've seen Clowney still looks good seems like people are overreacting. That and the insane talent he has.

ufcguy32

Starter

#43 : October 27, 2013, 02:13:01 PM

he is lazy, takes plays off and seems like he has no drive. no thanks

watson

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 27, 2013, 06:25:04 PM

the SC coaches have been working with him on that since he arrived in Columbia.....

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A big fat "NO THANK YOU" to Clowney! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools