Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Polian VPFO, Eric Stokes GM, Mark Dominik Contracts « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#15 : October 27, 2013, 11:08:12 PM

When Polian made some bad picks in Indy, I believe it was when he had Irsay Jr. breathing down his neck.

Polian's history in the NFL of success goes well beyond the Colts. The main reason a team would bring him in such as the Bucs is to get a guy who's run multiple franchises and successfully so. I imagine there are a few things he can teach those below and above him about putting an organization together.

Lol at "some bad picks".  I have posted this in another thread, but in case some missed it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts_draft_history

2004-2011 is a long time and those are HORRIBLE drafts. 

Bill does have a good history of success in the NFL.  Were it 1997 I would be all for bringing Bill in and giving him a large role.  I think the last damn near decade of his resume shows that the game passed him by.  It has happened to many very good people in the NFL.  This game is different then it was in the mid 90's, like the mid 90's were different then the 70's.  The game changes.  I would very much like to find someone with vision for today and into the future.  Not just a name that some people recognize as being attached with success in the past (again, at this point distant past).

youngone

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 27, 2013, 11:08:16 PM

Can anyone explain just what is so great about Dominik's contract acumen? Is it because when he took over, the Bucs had a crap ton of cap room and could front load deals with guaranteed money while the teams without cap room had to carry over signing bonuses to fit under the cap? What's so hard about that?

Ask yourself this - how many times has Mark Dominik written a contract and you thought to yourself, "Man, we really got a good deal!"?
Revis

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 27, 2013, 11:12:44 PM

When Polian made some bad picks in Indy, I believe it was when he had Irsay Jr. breathing down his neck.

Polian's history in the NFL of success goes well beyond the Colts. The main reason a team would bring him in such as the Bucs is to get a guy who's run multiple franchises and successfully so. I imagine there are a few things he can teach those below and above him about putting an organization together.

Lol at "some bad picks".  I have posted this in another thread, but in case some missed it:

Bill does have a good history of success in the NFL.  Were it 1997 I would be all for bringing Bill in and giving him a large role.  I think the last damn near decade of his resume shows that the game passed him by.  It has happened to many very good people in the NFL.  This game is different then it was in the mid 90's, like the mid 90's were different then the 70's.  The game changes.  I would very much like to find someone with vision for today and into the future.  Not just a name that some people recognize as being attached with success in the past (again, at this point distant past).

That was kind of my point.  Those years were the Indy years.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 27, 2013, 11:13:50 PM

While I understand and might even agree with your point, the point of bringing in Polian would be...at least to me....to bring in someone the owners would respect and get out of the middle of things such as coach hirings. In DTG's scenario, Polian would have less of a personnel role as that would likely fall on Eric Stokes. Whether the overseer is Polian, Parcells or some other guy who'd be more likely to tell the Glazers to leave the football operations to the football guys I really don't care but the role is needed.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#19 : October 27, 2013, 11:15:45 PM

Must be slow on the uptake.  You suggesting that Polian had all those horrible drafts and could not put a decent team around Peyton Manning because he had a bad owner? 

Doesn't Indy still have the same owner?  New management seems to be upping the talent there pretty quickly. 

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#20 : October 27, 2013, 11:19:41 PM

While I understand and might even agree with your point, the point of bringing in Polian would be...at least to me....to bring in someone the owners would respect and get out of the middle of things such as coach hirings. In DTG's scenario, Polian would have less of a personnel role as that would likely fall on Eric Stokes. Whether the overseer is Polian, Parcells or some other guy who'd be more likely to tell the Glazers to leave the football operations to the football guys I really don't care but the role is needed.

Oh, if we're talking about a figure head, then yeah hire who ever you guys want.  It's not my money.  Just keep him the **CENSORED** out of the draft room please. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 27, 2013, 11:21:25 PM

Must be slow on the uptake.  You suggesting that Polian had all those horrible drafts and could not put a decent team around Peyton Manning because he had a bad owner? 

Doesn't Indy still have the same owner?  New management seems to be upping the talent there pretty quickly.

If you know anything about Irsay Jr, he is involved in EVERYTHING.

He is the anti - Glazer.

And Luck was a no brainer. You or I could have made that pick.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#22 : October 27, 2013, 11:21:39 PM

Can anyone explain just what is so great about Dominik's contract acumen? Is it because when he took over, the Bucs had a crap ton of cap room and could front load deals with guaranteed money while the teams without cap room had to carry over signing bonuses to fit under the cap? What's so hard about that?

Ask yourself this - how many times has Mark Dominik written a contract and you thought to yourself, "Man, we really got a good deal!"?
Revis

What do you like about the Revis contract?  That we can break it at any time?  We gave up a high 1st and we're happy we can cut ties with the player we gave up a high first for at any time?

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 27, 2013, 11:26:05 PM

I like the fact that after this season the Bucs could cut Revis, Jackson, or Nicks and not take any cap hit. I think that is the reason people want to keep Dom around as a contracts guy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 27, 2013, 11:26:49 PM

Revis

What do you like about the Revis contract?  That we can break it at any time?  We gave up a high 1st and we're happy we can cut ties with the player we gave up a high first for at any time?

The point on Revis is,  they are not locked into a long term megadeal.  He could of demanded a 4-5 deal for 7 Zillion dollars. The way the deal is set up, Bucs have an out in needed. And if he was greater than ever this season, they could tag him, if need be.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 27, 2013, 11:27:02 PM

"Greg Schiano is not done here yet. This place needs Greg Schiano."

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#26 : October 27, 2013, 11:27:46 PM

If you know anything about Irsay Jr, he is involved in EVERYTHING.

He is the anti - Glazer.

And Luck was a no brainer. You or I could have made that pick.

**CENSORED** dude, I'm all for the "anti - Glazer".  Where do I sign up for that?  They parlayed ("lucked" whatever) what should have been a rebuilding death into continued contention.  Not just the Luck pick either.  They made several picks in that draft that have produced on the field for a winning team. 

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 27, 2013, 11:31:17 PM

I like the fact that after this season the Bucs could cut Revis, Jackson, or Nicks and not take any cap hit. I think that is the reason people want to keep Dom around as a contracts guy.

Not true about either Jackson or Nicks. The original deal yes but they moved this year's salary into a bonus paid on 2012's books and thus the cap hit is spread out over the life of the deals.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 27, 2013, 11:32:22 PM

Revis

The point on Revis is,  they are not locked into a long term megadeal.  He could of demanded a 4-5 deal for 7 Zillion dollars. The way the deal is set up, Bucs have an out in needed. And if he was greater than ever this season, they could tag him, if need be.

Why would they need to tag him?

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#29 : October 27, 2013, 11:32:50 PM

We payed them top dollar for that right with Revis.  Not true on the other 2 you cited.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Buccaneers&Year=2014

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Buccaneers&Year=2015

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Buccaneers&Year=2016

We're on the hook for significant $ to VJax and Nicks as far as overthecap.com (great resource btw) goes out in the future.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Polian VPFO, Eric Stokes GM, Mark Dominik Contracts « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools