Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Polian VPFO, Eric Stokes GM, Mark Dominik Contracts « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#30 : October 27, 2013, 11:35:12 PM

Can anyone explain just what is so great about Dominik's contract acumen? Is it because when he took over, the Bucs had a crap ton of cap room and could front load deals with guaranteed money while the teams without cap room had to carry over signing bonuses to fit under the cap? What's so hard about that?

Ask yourself this - how many times has Mark Dominik written a contract and you thought to yourself, "Man, we really got a good deal!"?
Revis

What do you like about the Revis contract?  That we can break it at any time?  We gave up a high 1st and we're happy we can cut ties with the player we gave up a high first for at any time?

The point on Revis is,  they are not locked into a long term megadeal.  He could of demanded a 4-5 deal for 7 Zillion dollars. The way the deal is set up, Bucs have an out in needed. And if he was greater than ever this season, they could tag him, if need be.

Why would they need to tag him?

I don't know what he's talking about.  You can't tag a player under contract.  I'm sure they'd love to though as franchising him would be a significant savings.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 27, 2013, 11:39:11 PM

While I understand and might even agree with your point, the point of bringing in Polian would be...at least to me....to bring in someone the owners would respect and get out of the middle of things such as coach hirings. In DTG's scenario, Polian would have less of a personnel role as that would likely fall on Eric Stokes. Whether the overseer is Polian, Parcells or some other guy who'd be more likely to tell the Glazers to leave the football operations to the football guys I really don't care but the role is needed.

Oh, if we're talking about a figure head, then yeah hire who ever you guys want.  It's not my money.  Just keep him the **CENSORED** out of the draft room please.

Remember back about a thousand years ago when the Bills were relevant?  That was Polians doing.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#32 : October 27, 2013, 11:42:27 PM

The point on Revis is,  they are not locked into a long term megadeal.  He could of demanded a 4-5 deal for 7 Zillion dollars. The way the deal is set up, Bucs have an out in needed. And if he was greater than ever this season, they could tag him, if need be.

I don't know what he's talking about.  You can't tag a player under contract.  I'm sure they'd love to though as franchising him would be a significant savings.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing about a tag being a cost savings when I asked my question as well.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 27, 2013, 11:43:46 PM

While I understand and might even agree with your point, the point of bringing in Polian would be...at least to me....to bring in someone the owners would respect and get out of the middle of things such as coach hirings. In DTG's scenario, Polian would have less of a personnel role as that would likely fall on Eric Stokes. Whether the overseer is Polian, Parcells or some other guy who'd be more likely to tell the Glazers to leave the football operations to the football guys I really don't care but the role is needed.

Oh, if we're talking about a figure head, then yeah hire who ever you guys want.  It's not my money.  Just keep him the **CENSORED** out of the draft room please.

Remember back about a thousand years ago when the Bills were relevant?  That was Polians doing.

Far and away the most significant part of that sentence imo.  What's Chuck Noll doing now a days?  That mfer could put together a roster now.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 27, 2013, 11:48:27 PM

Far and away the most significant part of that sentence imo.  What's Chuck Noll doing now a days?  That mfer could put together a roster now.

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but were you not making the point, Polian has never done anything in the NFL ?

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 27, 2013, 11:52:03 PM

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but were you not making the point, Polian has never done anything in the NFL ?

Bill does have a good history of success in the NFL.  Were it 1997 I would be all for bringing Bill in and giving him a large role.

*I do believe he get's too much credit for his time in Carolina.  He won quick to the detriment of building a strong franchise and they paid dearly for that later imo.*
: October 27, 2013, 11:54:51 PM threadkiller

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 27, 2013, 11:55:31 PM

Bill does have a good history of success in the NFL.  Were it 1997 I would be all for bringing Bill in and giving him a large role.

When he hit 65 or 70, he automatically forgot everything he ever knew?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 27, 2013, 11:57:57 PM

Can anyone explain just what is so great about Dominik's contract acumen? Is it because when he took over, the Bucs had a crap ton of cap room and could front load deals with guaranteed money while the teams without cap room had to carry over signing bonuses to fit under the cap? What's so hard about that?

Ask yourself this - how many times has Mark Dominik written a contract and you thought to yourself, "Man, we really got a good deal!"?
Revis

What do you like about the Revis contract?  That we can break it at any time?  We gave up a high 1st and we're happy we can cut ties with the player we gave up a high first for at any time?

I was saying if he held out to get as far away from this train wreck as possible, it would be an option. The dude just wasted a year of his football life.

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 27, 2013, 11:59:18 PM

When he hit 65 or 70, he automatically forgot everything he ever knew?

I think the last damn near decade of his resume shows that the game passed him by.  It has happened to many very good people in the NFL.  This game is different then it was in the mid 90's, like the mid 90's were different then the 70's.  The game changes. 

idk man, that's my guess anyway.  I do tend to look at most recent events when evaluating anything rather then glossing over what has happened most recently in hopes of returning to some distant past result that has far less connection to the present situation. 

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 28, 2013, 12:01:34 AM

I was saying if he held out to get as far away from this train wreck as possible, it would be an option. The dude just wasted a year of his football life.

No, it's not an option.  Under any scenario.  The Bucs can not franchise Revis.  He's under contract.  If he holds out, he's still under contract.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#40 : October 28, 2013, 12:12:18 AM

Revis is already tagged. It's called a contract.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

swamp_bats

Starter
#41 : October 28, 2013, 12:32:03 AM

I don't want Polian as GM, but in some role would be o.k. Dominik just needs to go. He won't be happy getting a demotion and why have a malcontent hanging around?

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#42 : October 28, 2013, 02:21:16 AM

Revis is already tagged. It's called a contract.
Lets not forget that tagging him if it were possible would only make matters worse being as it would significantly drop his salary thanks to the cap "genius" giving an injured CB a deal that pays around a 50% more than what the next highest paid guy gets
Sure seems like a smart move to make Dumb, sorry Dom a contracts guy, I imagine him negotiation a contract to go something like...
"How much does your guy want?"
"We want $4 million a year."
"Tell you what, we've got all this cap room so have $5 million and lets make it front loaded so your guy gets paid now and doesn't have to keep working for it"
"But we only want $4million.."
"No, no, it's done. $6 million a year."

I've yet to seem a deal that makes me think Dom has any concept of value in the NFL, he just throws around cash at names or signs nobodies to minimum deals, where is the good quality depth on solid contracts?
His cap management is one of the reasons I want him gone.

gone

Hall of Famer
#43 : October 28, 2013, 05:03:04 AM

Revis

You can spin it all you want but we got raped on the Revis deal.   He is overpaid and we lost a first for the privilege of overpaying him.  And the guarantee lack is nice but it is countered by the re-FOOKING-DIK-ulous amount we are wasting on a single corner.  This ain't the 80's.  One shutdown corner is as outdated as parachute pants.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 28, 2013, 05:32:51 AM

Why would anyone want Dominik to stay for contracts? He has given out some downright awful contracts too many times.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Polian VPFO, Eric Stokes GM, Mark Dominik Contracts « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools