Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vick: It's completely different, it's like 360 degrees different. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

#15 : March 22, 2007, 10:43:29 PM

I think if I was not so tired I could make a good argument that Huff>Vick.  Vick does give folks more to work with though.  And on a regular basis.
Not so anymore my friend:

It's not a poorly written piece, but it's written to make Huff into a sympathetic figure, more after the jump.

"I know the last couple of years it got really hard to go to the field every day," Huff said. "It really wore on you. It would get to the point where you'd get to the field as late as possible. You just wanted to get in there and then get out of there. It was tough. Mentally, it took a lot out of me. It took a lot out of a lot of guys."

So basically Aubrey admit he didn't put a load of effort forth in order to improve his game.
This is my favorite part of the story.

This offseason, as a first-time free agent, Huff looked for teams he thought had a bright future. The Orioles, in his mind, fit that description. There were discussions with the Texas Rangers, but after some recruitment by Kevin Millar and Jay Gibbons, Huff decided on Baltimore.

Got that? A team with a bright future. Hmm.

"Obviously, being in spring training with the Devil Rays my whole career, it's exciting to be able to start somewhere fresh," he said. "Going into spring training knowing that you could be on a team that could be a playoff contender, I never had that in Tampa. You pretty much know that you're going to go out there and you're going to be 20 games out by the break."
Okay...and

"It was just the constant losing," Huff said. "Things never changed. It seems like every year you had 50 new guys in camp and they never let the guys jell together. I don't think you can win that way. The core guys they did have were great guys. It just seemed like they wanted to stay young, young, young every year. They didn't want to bring any veteran guys in. At the same time it was probably hard to do, there weren't a lot of veteran guys that wanted to play there. It's a no-win situation there."

I suppose Aubrey's theory that vets = wins is correct, considering the Rays' best season featured the Lou 'Old Man Specials', but this my friends, this is what we call 'ownage':

Only the career leader in games played for the Devil Rays (799) would sign with the Baltimore Orioles, who haven't had a winning season since 1997, because he was tired of losing.
Though players such as Brian Roberts, Melvin Mora and Jay Gibbons have groaned about having lost so many games with the Orioles, none can claim seeing as many losses as Huff. Tampa Bay lost 684 games in Huff's seven seasons, compared to the 636 games lost by Baltimore in the same span

So he was tired of losing but went to a team that has existed longer than a decade and only won 48 more games in the same span?

Aubrey Huff = SMART GUY.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#16 : March 22, 2007, 10:46:19 PM

Wow, you can even stick baseball & you hatred for ex-Rays into a discussion of the stupidity of Vick!

#17 : March 22, 2007, 10:48:58 PM

Wow, you can even stick baseball & you hatred for ex-Rays into a discussion of the stupidity of Vick!
Hatred of ex-Rays? Not really considering you obviously didn't read the piece / have no idea how many times he badmouthed this city, and the fact that a few of my favorite non-Rays players are ex-Rays, see Julio Lugo, Matt Diaz, and Jason Tyner.

dm4bucs

Starter
#18 : March 22, 2007, 10:50:12 PM

That is one of the funniest quotes i've seen by someone..."it's 360 degrees different" :D

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 22, 2007, 10:52:12 PM

Right there with Ron Mexico apologizing for not doing his best in season finale - the year he signed the 100 mil contract.  

Or his not knowing the playbook

Or his inability to read a defense

Or throwing his coaches under the bus

Or his affinity for the freedom some grasses provide

Or I am tired and you can fill in the rest.

Aubrey is a butt no doubt.  Vick is genetically related.  And given the circumstances - ESPN has him as greatest - has the edge in the bigger butt contest.  Aubrey has limited smarts for sure, but nowhere near the audience.  

By the way, enjoyed watching Aubrey showing his butt.  Rays did the right thing with him.  Now we will see what Falcons do with Vick.  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 23, 2007, 03:28:08 AM

Oh jesus.

The Rays have no chance this year in the East.  None.  Zip.

Stranger things have not happened.  Baseball is built a bit differently, and it is fact.

I definitely like some players on the Rays, they have the potential to shine.  Too bad they have to play in the same conference as the Orioles, the Yanks, Blue Jays, and Sox...

I just feel pity for the Rays, because in any other division, they might have a chance.  In the East, it is almost like they are buried up to their necks, and the tide is rolling in.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#21 : March 23, 2007, 09:32:12 AM

There you go. Straight from the man himself. Vick is gonna continue being a crap quarterback this season.

I just can't stop laughing from it. "360 degrees different"

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 23, 2007, 10:47:07 AM

at least Vick is articulate

klb55

Starter

#23 : March 23, 2007, 12:16:25 PM

We know he isn't nice-looking or bright, but I wonder if he's clean.

Senator Joe Biden

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#24 : March 23, 2007, 12:25:49 PM

I go to Virginia Tech.  Every time this guy opens his mouth my diploma is worth less.

quick transfer to U of F

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 23, 2007, 12:28:28 PM

I go to Virginia Tech.  Every time this guy opens his mouth my diploma is worth less.
Not really....I mean it's not like he actually got a diploma.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 23, 2007, 12:33:23 PM

I go to Virginia Tech. Every time this guy opens his mouth my diploma is worth less.
Not really....I mean it's not like he actually got a diploma.

Yeah, but he's still pretty much the face of this school for some damned reason.

#27 : March 23, 2007, 12:36:19 PM

Lol Ether hates Aubrey Huff because he speaks the truth about the Rays.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 23, 2007, 12:37:54 PM

Yeah, but he's still pretty much the face of this school for some damned reason.

That's because Frank Beamer can't be the face of the program with whatever that friggin' growth is he has on his face.

Frankly between Vick, Vick the Younger, and Jimmy Williams among other VaTek has had a bad run of scummy types rolling out of there.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 23, 2007, 12:47:33 PM

That's because Frank Beamer can't be the face of the program with whatever that friggin' growth is he has on his face.

LMAO! I can't stand looking at that, whatever it is.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vick: It's completely different, it's like 360 degrees different. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools