Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Challenge on 3rd and 8 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 04, 2013, 02:04:52 PM

We stopped them on 3rd and 3. No biggie.

No biggie but it still pissed me off...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 04, 2013, 02:07:28 PM

I agree with DJ. We really got hosed on that call. Happens WAY too much to us. These are clear calls that seem to be blown on a consistent basis. Im not a conspiracy theory guy, just seems strange.

Pretty sure Schiano hasn't won a challenge all season has he?

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#17 : November 04, 2013, 06:40:24 PM

The one that got me was the Unnecessary Roughness call against us when R. Wilson took off on a scramble and punked at least one of our players in the process.  The Bucs got totally owned on that play, but the other team's QB, but we were too rough?  At the stadium, we got no replays really(terrible screen operators there), was it a slap to the helmet as he blew by someone?

JM2

Pro Bowler

#18 : November 04, 2013, 06:45:10 PM

McCoy hit his helmet while Wilson was still in the pocket.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 04, 2013, 06:53:24 PM

In McCoy's defense , he isnt used to ever being that close to the QB ... lol

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

gone

Hall of Famer
#20 : November 04, 2013, 06:55:16 PM

The one that got me was the Unnecessary Roughness call against us when R. Wilson took off on a scramble and punked at least one of our players in the process.  The Bucs got totally owned on that play, but the other team's QB, but we were too rough?  At the stadium, we got no replays really(terrible screen operators there), was it a slap to the helmet as he blew by someone?

Yeah, McCoy reached out to arm tackle him and what happens when a tall guy reaches out to tackle a dwarf?  His fingertips grazed the helmet.

While we seem to be victimized by these ticky tacky calls far more than anyone else, we aren't the only ones.  The league needs to rethink the emphasis here.  Most of the calls seem to just be the inevitable consequence of lots of large men moving very fast in limited space than any attempt to injure or reckless indifference to whether an injury occurs or not.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 04, 2013, 07:15:09 PM

I was watching the game and immediately told my buddy that it would not be overturned.  Here was my reasoning...it would have caused too much work for a simple 5 yds.  If you remember, they called it a completion.  Therefore, the clock continued to run and ended the 3rd quarter.  It was between quarters that Schiano decided to challenge it.  Had they overturned it, they would have had to figure out when the point of incompletion was, add those few seconds to a clock that was already expired,  bring the ball all the way back to the other end of the stadium, let them run one play and then go through the break in between the third and fourth quarters all over again.  Just too much work for a few seconds of time.

That's the way I see it too. It's dumb and lazy but makes total sense. I still don't like it thought.

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#22 : November 04, 2013, 09:33:59 PM

I was watching the game and immediately told my buddy that it would not be overturned.  Here was my reasoning...it would have caused too much work for a simple 5 yds.  If you remember, they called it a completion.  Therefore, the clock continued to run and ended the 3rd quarter.  It was between quarters that Schiano decided to challenge it.  Had they overturned it, they would have had to figure out when the point of incompletion was, add those few seconds to a clock that was already expired,  bring the ball all the way back to the other end of the stadium, let them run one play and then go through the break in between the third and fourth quarters all over again.  Just too much work for a few seconds of time.

That's the way I see it too. It's dumb and lazy but makes total sense. I still don't like it thought.

It's dumb, lazy and unethical.  I totally agree though, I knew it wasn't going to be overturned because of "time constraints".  However, inconsequential as that play seemed, it cost us a TO.  That missing TO could have played a huge role in the final drive of regulation.  Even though it wasn't needed, it might have still impacted the play calling used on the final drive.  Driving for a FG in less than two minutes, two TO's vs three is a big deal- especially with a rookie QB.

The fact that such a blatant call was ignored, because of convenience, is disturbing.  The " Aw shucks it happens all the time" argument doesn't hold water here.  For one, they are professionals, we don't give fumbles, missed tackles, or interceptions a free pass because " it happens all the time".  No, we hold the players accountable because they too are professionals.  Besides, the league has created a situation where they are asking the officials to take a more active role in games, so their accuracy should be more important and uniform than ever.  Secondly, this review wasn't bang bang judgment call, trying to decide in a fraction of a second if a helmet made contact with another helmet.  This was a complete video review of a play that allowed for a thorough examination and obvious result.  To determine the outcome of the review based on convenience makes a mockery of the game.

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#23 : November 04, 2013, 09:36:59 PM

Yeah, McCoy reached out to arm tackle him and what happens when a tall guy reaches out to tackle a dwarf?  His fingertips grazed the helmet.

While we seem to be victimized by these ticky tacky calls far more than anyone else, we aren't the only ones.  The league needs to rethink the emphasis here.  Most of the calls seem to just be the inevitable consequence of lots of large men moving very fast in limited space than any attempt to injure or reckless indifference to whether an injury occurs or not.

It's interesting to watch the body language of QBS and WRs with the new rules.  Players will stay on the ground motionless after a hit trying to draw flags.  Wilson did it, trying to a bait a flag at one point in obvious fashion,and even seemed to chuckle about it after the play when one wasn't thrown

youngone

Hall of Famer
#24 : November 04, 2013, 10:48:34 PM

It's interesting to watch the body language of QBS and WRs with the new rules.  Players will stay on the ground motionless after a hit trying to draw flags.  Wilson did it, trying to a bait a flag at one point in obvious fashion,and even seemed to chuckle about it after the play when one wasn't thrown
Soon we'll see the soccer flops.

meatwad4343

Starter

#25 : November 04, 2013, 10:59:32 PM

we got a few bs pi calls go our way earlier in the game so really it evens itself out. both teams got screwed

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 05, 2013, 01:06:38 AM

Beginning to think Wilson has a competitive advantage with his height, or lack thereof, when compared to larger d-linemen lacking the ability to get low enough to legally hit him. I've seen this a few times with him this season. If you're 6'5", it's hard to get down low enough to hit a guy below the helmet.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#27 : November 05, 2013, 02:39:31 AM

Maybe the playcalling would have been different with an extra timeout in our pocket, but still not a huge deal. 

I personally thought the Seahawks got robbed on the Earl Thomas PI instead of INT, and that was a much bigger play.  If that were Barron, this board would have gone nuts. 

STERN11354

Starter

#28 : November 05, 2013, 07:04:29 AM

Here is Vickerson bumping Luck. Vickerson could of pulled up but didn't and Luck performed the "NBA flop" perfectly.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/10/andrew-luck-nba-style-flop-gets-roughing-the-passer-call-video/

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
#29 : November 05, 2013, 07:24:04 AM

McCoy hit his helmet while Wilson was still in the pocket.

A defender would have to get on two knees not to hit that midget in the head.

Of course you will never see a head to head hit on Glennon for that reason.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Challenge on 3rd and 8 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools