Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dolphins locker room face investigations...Incognito suspended indefinitely « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14

youngone

Hall of Famer
#45 : November 04, 2013, 10:32:01 PM

It's what is happening in our schools now with these ridiculous anti-bullying campaigns.  Instead of teaching kids to stand up for themselves and fight back they teach them to turn tail and hide behind the teachers' skirts.

Doc,  that's silly, unless they have really weird schools in HI. Anti-bullying campaigns in schools that I know of are focused on getting kids to stand up PERIOD . . . for themselves and others. The situation in Miami unfolded NOT just because Martin presumably didnt stand up (until recently) but also because many others did not stand up. Whose guilty, a bully who picks on someone or the person who watches and does nothing?
It's really about guilt.. It comes a time when you have to stand up for yourself once or twice. That doesn't necessarily means that it has to come to blows but teaching kids that standing up for themselves is always going to an adult to fix the problem is making them soft I believe.

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#46 : November 04, 2013, 10:40:00 PM

It is possible that it may not be as systemic and and out of control as it sounds.  If the report that Martin missed a practices or shirked duties in the off season, and considering that Incognito was laughing on the recording, it  might have been some meat headed poor humor that is not so rare in locker rooms, and a poor effort at leadership by Incognito.  Martin's behavior and temperament might have caused the abuse to snowball from there.  It could be a situation that regularly occurs, that simply provoked an irregular reaction. 

To be very clear, I am in no way excusing Incognito.  He seems like an ass, and his career is certainly over.  I wonder though, if the situation would have been quite so inflammatory if he hadn't dropped the ridiculous racial element into that voice mail.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#47 : November 04, 2013, 10:45:45 PM

It is possible that it may not be as systemic and and out of control as it sounds.  If the report that Martin missed a practices or shirked duties in the off season, and considering that Incognito was laughing on the recording, it  might have been some meat headed poor humor that is not so rare in locker rooms, and a poor effort at leadership by Incognito.  Martin's behavior and temperament might have caused the abuse to snowball from there.  It could be a situation that regularly occurs, that simply provoked an irregular reaction. 

To be very clear, I am in no way excusing Incognito.  He seems like an ass, and his career is certainly over.  I wonder though, if the situation would have been quite so inflammatory if he hadn't dropped the ridiculous racial element into that voice mail.
It was bad enough that the guy had to give Incognito that 15 grand out of fear he says.. And it was bad enough that he left his team, something that football players rarely do.

They reported that veteran players were using the rookies for piggy banks. This isn't overblown.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#48 : November 04, 2013, 10:58:56 PM

It's what is happening in our schools now with these ridiculous anti-bullying campaigns.  Instead of teaching kids to stand up for themselves and fight back they teach them to turn tail and hide behind the teachers' skirts.

Doc,  that's silly, unless they have really weird schools in HI. Anti-bullying campaigns in schools that I know of are focused on getting kids to stand up PERIOD . . . for themselves and others. The situation in Miami unfolded NOT just because Martin presumably didnt stand up (until recently) but also because many others did not stand up. Whose guilty, a bully who picks on someone or the person who watches and does nothing?
It's really about guilt.. It comes a time when you have to stand up for yourself once or twice. That doesn't necessarily means that it has to come to blows but teaching kids that standing up for themselves is always going to an adult to fix the problem is making them soft I believe.

except that is not what they are taught, at least in my experience

gone

Hall of Famer
#49 : November 04, 2013, 11:00:59 PM

Kids are taught to "report" bullying.  That isn't standing up for yourself.   

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#50 : November 04, 2013, 11:03:59 PM

yeah, it looks like you are right, that seems to be the gist of the stuff I can find online.  Not my experience, but my earlier comment was wrong

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#51 : November 04, 2013, 11:06:30 PM

It was bad enough that the guy had to give Incognito that 15 grand out of fear he says.. And it was bad enough that he left his team, something that football players rarely do.

They reported that veteran players were using the rookies for piggy banks. This isn't overblown.

To be clear, I'm not saying that any of this is being over blown.  As for the money, I know it is very common to a certain degree to cajole the rookies to foot the bill for some things.  The severity I believe depends on the character of the teams veterans.  On the Bucs, I know it was required to bring Church's Fried Chicken for the unit to meetings, and the dinner bills for offensive/ defensive rookies to be paid for their respective units.  In these cases though, it was common for one of the big money vets to chip in at the last second- I know of one unholy bill run up at I believe Charlie's steakhouse that Brooks generously helped out on.

I believe there has already been a rookie who claims it is not as bad as some are claiming.  I'm just saying it might be an exaggeration- but it certainly may not be as well.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#52 : November 04, 2013, 11:09:12 PM

gone

Hall of Famer
#53 : November 04, 2013, 11:27:03 PM

You have an image of a famous movie bully from a movie that was all about standing up to bullies yourself and yet somehow your text there makes me think you disapprove of standing up to bullies rather than reporting them to authority figures.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#54 : November 04, 2013, 11:34:40 PM

You have an image of a famous movie bully from a movie that was all about standing up to bullies yourself and yet somehow your text there makes me think you disapprove of standing up to bullies rather than reporting them to authority figures.

Do you even remember that movie? I don't recall Mr. Miyagi telling Daniel San to crane kick Johnny in the cafeteria the next time he talked trash to him.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#55 : November 04, 2013, 11:52:53 PM

To some weird extent, I always thought a little bit of a beat down was needed with everyone. Makes you tougher.

I got my ass kicked plenty of times, but from all those ass kickings, I learned that I could always get back up and keep fighting.Now, I may not beat mayweather or anything, but in a street fight (anything goes), I can promise he's going to the hospital with me.

But yes, some things go too far, or are just so damn dumb they have little worth to anyone for any means. Mentally, I guess it can be fight-or-flight also, where to person becomes recluse.  Tough love is a good thing and can motivate of used properly. This isn't tough love however. I haven't gotten the entire story yet, but it sounds as if this guy is SOL.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#56 : November 05, 2013, 12:46:07 AM

Hazing is one thing, but what Incognito said is just awful. He's not going to get another job with an NFL team. **CENSORED** him.

gone

Hall of Famer
#57 : November 05, 2013, 12:47:57 AM

Do you even remember that movie? I don't recall Mr. Miyagi telling Daniel San to crane kick Johnny in the cafeteria the next time he talked trash to him.

You inhabit a very sad and strange world, where up is down and down is up apparently.  You clearly didn't get the movie at all.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#58 : November 05, 2013, 09:52:25 AM

"Ah, Miyagi say run to tattle like little b*tch." I'll never forget that part.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#59 : November 05, 2013, 09:56:58 AM

"Ah, Miyagi say run to tattle like little b*tch." I'll never forget that part.
LOL

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dolphins locker room face investigations...Incognito suspended indefinitely « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools