Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dolphins locker room face investigations...Incognito suspended indefinitely « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#90 : November 05, 2013, 07:06:33 PM

So a human being that has trained their brain to respond to conflict with violence first won't most likely resort to violence when another conflict arises?

No one is talking about training your brain to react with violence in this case or indiscriminately.  Clearly there are times one wants to be trained to react that way reflexively - certain threats that need it, because waiting to consider if it is right will get you killed.  But that carries the awesome responsibility of judicious use. 

Sometimes reacting to conflict via confrontation - physical if necessary and possible - is strategic, a considered option.  Sometimes it is the only language, the only currency that is accepted at that dance.  I suspect the NFL can be like that if one iaroundhd folks like Incognito.  No one is saying that one should always just kick ass on anyone who pisses them off, but the strategic use of violence, threat oviolencece or intimidation is sometimes a viable option.

In a case like this one there comes a time when one has to decide whether they can live with themselves if they keep walking away from it. Turning the other cheek might work for some people and Messiahs, some may think that being meek will leave them with their just inheritance.  If they can live that way, then more power to them.  But some people could not look themselves in the eye tomorrow knowing that walked away from it; some would rather see it end today than face that tomorrow.  Life is not all about quantity - living to see another day - it is also about quality.  There are some lives that some people might not find worth living.  It is an example of the wussification of America that we have come to accept that conflict avoidance and living to enjoy another sheepish day is the only acceptable approach.

So about what I posted. Would a human being that has trained their brain to respond to conflict with violence first most likely resort to violence when another conflict arises?

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#91 : November 05, 2013, 07:09:14 PM

"You're right. When Miyagi took Daniel to the Cobra Kai dojo to tell their sensei that his students were picking on Daniel, that wasn't tattling."

No, that was called confronting the bully.

And that wasn't what stopped the bullying anyway, that was a temporary cease-fire.  What stopped it was him manning up and facing them down.   

It's killin me that people are taking life lessons from hollywood x)

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#92 : November 05, 2013, 07:14:59 PM

Well if nothing else we have determined who all the beta males on this board are.  And flushed out at least one female as well.

When a bully is taking your money he is doing it with violence.  That is robbery plain and simple.  When they tell you to pay up you tell them to go fsck themselves, you stand up to them.  Not complicated.  It doesn't mean tracking them down with a baseball bat and going Capone on them.

This is probably going to end in violence, at least once with a bully, but it's the only way to deal with it.  People can make all the excuses they want, but the real problem is they are just too big a bunch of puzzies to face someone.  You may or may not get your ass kicked, but the simple fact is that you have made yourself more work that it is worth the bullies time.  If you run to authority you paint a target for derision on your back, everyone knows you are a little btch and will treat you as such.  You also angered the bully and made your situation worse, not better.  That doesn't jive with the PC worldview that people so often believe because they had it spoonfed by their teachers, but that's how the real world works.  And you also run into the fact that authority is arbitrary and chooses who it persecutes and who it protects and how ell it does each.  And authority isn't always around.  A teacher can't protect you after school and your employer can't protect you after work.

"When they tell you to pay up you tell them to go fsck themselves, you stand up to them." You had me there, but then you went full redneck/gangbanger. Funny how those two work out their problems in similar ways.

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#93 : November 05, 2013, 09:34:53 PM

Well if nothing else we have determined who all the beta males on this board are.  And flushed out at least one female as well.

When a bully is taking your money he is doing it with violence.  That is robbery plain and simple.  When they tell you to pay up you tell them to go fsck themselves, you stand up to them.  Not complicated.  It doesn't mean tracking them down with a baseball bat and going Capone on them.

This is probably going to end in violence, at least once with a bully, but it's the only way to deal with it.  People can make all the excuses they want, but the real problem is they are just too big a bunch of puzzies to face someone.  You may or may not get your ass kicked, but the simple fact is that you have made yourself more work that it is worth the bullies time.  If you run to authority you paint a target for derision on your back, everyone knows you are a little btch and will treat you as such.  You also angered the bully and made your situation worse, not better.  That doesn't jive with the PC worldview that people so often believe because they had it spoonfed by their teachers, but that's how the real world works.  And you also run into the fact that authority is arbitrary and chooses who it persecutes and who it protects and how ell it does each.  And authority isn't always around.  A teacher can't protect you after school and your employer can't protect you after work.

"When they tell you to pay up you tell them to go fsck themselves, you stand up to them." You had me there, but then you went full redneck/gangbanger. Funny how those two work out their problems in similar ways.

For Gawd's sake, we get it.  You wouldn't fight.  Others would.  Like YoungOne said like four pages ago, to each their own...

Can't you just accept that ?

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#94 : November 05, 2013, 10:38:41 PM

Or, if your parents are both Harvard grads and lawyers, you sue for hostile work environment.  If it is proven that the Dolphins had Richie training the young Martin?  Cha-ching.  Jack pot.  That trial would never ever see the light of day.  Can you imagine the airing of the NFL lockerrooms dirty laundry.  They'll settle in a heart beat.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#95 : November 06, 2013, 02:25:01 AM

Sources are saying Miami coaches instructed Incognito to "toughen up" Martin.

Incognito then took the instructions too far.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/fl-miami-dolphins-hazing-1106-20131105,0,3517033.story

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#96 : November 06, 2013, 07:31:25 AM

Just the kind of opposing team distraction we need to finally win a damn game.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

karmajay

Starter

#97 : November 06, 2013, 08:33:33 AM

lol at people talking about the "wussification" of the country and "bullies aren't the problem, victims are the problem".

Lord Revis, I doubt you'll reach this crowd.

I'm not sure where some people work but if the only way to get stop an ahole at your PROFESSIONAL PLACE OF BUSINESS is physical violence then you've already lost the fight.

I guess McCoy is "football style weak minded" because he pushed people down one sec and helps them back up the next. (I think that was McCoy...)

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#98 : November 06, 2013, 08:38:14 AM

You really can't understand the difference between an office environment and an NFL locker room?

Havok904

Starter

#99 : November 06, 2013, 08:42:21 AM

half the guy's that recommend fighting either never got in a good scrap in their entire lives or be the first one's to puss out when bullied and harassed  at work but go home and beat the wife and kids....

karmajay

Starter

#100 : November 06, 2013, 08:49:31 AM

You really can't understand the difference between an office environment and an NFL locker room?

So we should allow an NFL locker room, where players that make MILLIONS of dollars and who are between age 20 to 40 to perform the same way a high school locker room works?

Plenty of players have proved that there is no need to be a straight up hardcore **CENSORED**s to play the sport. I guarantee there are more players that have played that have been nice guys then total **CENSORED**s. Why shouldn't we expect these players to be held accountable for their behavior in the locker room?

I understand making rookies as a group pay for a team meal in training camp but there is a difference between friends ribbing each other and being "mentally weak" cause a guy won't blast a co-worker in the face.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#101 : November 06, 2013, 09:01:59 AM

Here come the coaches.  Incognito will push back claiming he was instructed or encouraged by the coaches ..  .  the whole thing blows up in 3 .  ..2. .  .

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#102 : November 06, 2013, 09:03:37 AM

"I guarantee there are more players that have played that have been nice guys then total **CENSORED**s."

Your guarantee holds little value for me. Have you got a link?

"...there is a difference between friends ribbing each other and being "mentally weak" cause a guy won't blast a co-worker in the face."

Not going to give up easily on the false dichotomy, are you? All the guy had to do was say "no." If it then escalates to violence, that would be on the other party. But rolling over and taking it or fighting weren't the only two options. Stop pretending that they were.

gatorkmk

Practice Squad

#103 : November 06, 2013, 09:08:58 AM

I understand the idea you have to stand up to a bully and I totally agree, but from the little information I have seen on this (the VM, texts) it's not just a simple bullying situation.

If a guy insults me or my family, or pushes me around. I punch him in the face, end of story.

When a guy, that from his past seems a little 'off', threatens to kill me and my attack my mother, attempts to extort money from me with threats of violence - then I call the police. That's not bullying, those are criminal actions. If it was co-worker I would go to my boss, and then the cops.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#104 : November 06, 2013, 10:52:52 AM

For Gawd's sake, we get it.  You wouldn't fight.  Others would.  Like YoungOne said like four pages ago, to each their own...

Can't you just accept that ?

Accept that ignorant gangbanger caveman conflict resolution is still prevalent? I accepted that long ago. Do I ignore it and not try to change it? Nah.

Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dolphins locker room face investigations...Incognito suspended indefinitely « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools