Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Expect to see these names when the coaching carousel season begins. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : November 05, 2013, 03:58:32 AM »

Lovie Smith again linked to USC head-coach opening

CSN Chicago

November 3, 2013, 9:15 am

His agent/son denied last month that he was in conversations with USC, but another report has linked Lovie Smith with one of the top college programs.

Jason LaCanfora cited a league source telling him that the former Bears head coach already had interviewed with the Los Angeles school for the vacancy created by the firing of Lane Kiffin last month by athletic director Pat Haden.

The team has performed well under interim coach Ed Orgeron, and Washington coach Steve Sarkisian was mentioned by LaCanfora as a possibility. Sarkisian has had two previous stints as an assistant at USC.

Smith has been doing consulting work with the NFL and has been expected to return to an NFL sideline either as a head coach or defensive coordinator. He is being paid for the final year of his Bears contract.

USC has had major issues with its past two head coaches. Besides Kiffin, who left Tennessee in a lurch to take the USC job, Pete Carroll left for the Seattle Seahawks as NCAA investigators were closing in on infractions that led to sanctions that included a two-year bowl ban.

Smith, with his proven record of integrity and leadership would represent a character upgrade, although he is believed to be looking to return to the NFL rather than go the college route at age 55.

Expect to see these names when the coaching carousel season begins.

Greg Gabriel      NFP

November 04, 2013, 04:30 PM EST..

In the NFL, one thing is certain, there will be turnover at the Head Coaching position at the end of the season. This past off season, we saw an unusually high number with eight head coaches being fired. In 2012, the number was five and in 2011 there were four. How many coaches will either be fired or retire after this season remains to be seen, but there is a quality group of coaches for the owners to choose from.

Lovie Smith

In Lovie Smith’s last season in Chicago, the Bears had a 10-6 record. He was fired because the Bears hadn’t been living up to expectations making the playoffs once in six seasons since their 2006 Super Bowl run. Still, Smith was able to win three division titles, got to two NFC Championship games, and a Super Bowl while in Chicago. That’s a pretty strong resume. Lovie is a player's coach. Both his players and coaches hold him in high regard. He has reportedly been interviewed by USC for their position, and it is a lock that he will be a head coach somewhere in 2014.

Jon Gruden

Every time there is a coaching vacancy, Gruden’s name pops up. He stated, a few weeks ago, that he would like to be a head coach one more time. He has had opportunities the last few years but always seems to turn them down. Has he been away from coaching too long? 2008 was the last year he was on an NFL sideline.

Greg Roman – San Francisco Offensive Coordinator

Roman has coached in the NFL for 15 years, has been highly successful, and is very well respected by his peers. The 49ers' offense is among the top in the NFL, and Roman has done a tremendous job developing quarterback Colin Kaepernick. He will be on a number of owners' short lists.

Todd Bowles – Arizona Defensive Coordinator

Bowles has been a coordinator on three different teams (Miami, Philadelphia, and Arizona). He is also credited with righting the ship in Miami, when he went 2-1 as their interim head coach at the end of 2011. Todd is well liked by his players and highly effective as a coordinator. He has been interviewed for a number of openings in the past, and it’s only a matter of time before he gets his opportunity. Maybe this year?

Dave Toub – Kansas City Special Teams Coordinator

Toub is recognized around the league as the top special teams coordinator in the business. He’s worked his magic for nine years in Chicago and this year in Kansas City. Like Bowles, he has interviewed in the past for Head Coaching opportunities and should also interview this year, but the key to landing any head coaching gig lies with the owner deciding if you are the right fit. Mark my words, Dave Toub will be a successful head coach in the NFL.

Pep Hamilton – Indianapolis Offensive Coordinator

Hamilton is in his first year as offensive coordinator at Indianapolis. He won’t be there long. He is one of the brightest, young, offensive minds in the league. He spent a number of years in the NFL as a quarterback coach before going to Stanford, first as quarterback coach, and then as offensive coordinator. He helped develop Andrew Luck at Stanford before he became the number one pick in the 2012 Draft.

Kevin Sumlin – Head Coach Texas A&M

Sumlin’s name has been tossed around in the last couple of years. He has been a head coach at two different colleges (Texas A&M and Houston) and has won in both places. Before he became a head coach, he had a successful run at Oklahoma as offensive coordinator. Sumlin may be one of the top candidates this year.

David Shaw - Stanford Head Coach

Shaw has already coached at both the NFL and college level. He has spent seven years at various positions in the NFL and was offensive coordinator at Stanford before being elevated to head coach in 2011. He has done a remarkable job as head coach at Stanford. Because he has an NFL background, he will high on a number of owners' short lists.

Follow me on twitter @greggabe

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #1 : November 05, 2013, 06:25:22 AM »

What, no Brad Childress?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #2 : November 05, 2013, 07:20:45 AM »

No Darrell Bevell?

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
« #3 : November 05, 2013, 07:22:05 AM »

No Darrell Bevell?

Or Mike Zimmer for that matter.

STERN11354

Starter

« #4 : November 05, 2013, 07:27:27 AM »

I like what Pep has been doing in Indianapolis this year.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #5 : November 05, 2013, 07:33:15 AM »

I like what Pep has been doing in Indianapolis this year.

I wonder why. Dude has ANdrew Luck as his QB....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #6 : November 05, 2013, 09:30:59 AM »

What, no Brad Childress?

PPPPPLLLEEEEASE!!! He's got a stupid face

It's just beyond stupid the amount of stupid that is coming out of his face. There is just so much dumb there, I firmly believe that an aura coded in HTML has exited my computer screen an instantaneously dropped all of our intelligence quotients by at least ten. His full offensive and defensive playbook is likely housed within the confines of a Clifford the Big Red Dog book. They should do autobiographical movie of Brad Childress documenting his stupidity, perhaps casting Rob Cordry with extensive amounts of makeup to fill the look of a truly stupid person. Sean Astin will narrate being that has experience narrating national geographic films on Meerkats. I think if Brad Childress came to Tampa, he'd have to wear a paper bag over his head to games. I mean, he'd be a way better coach than Greg Schiano, even if he only has 2 plays to run, but I just don't think we could get over that. I think he at least wins more games than he loses. Maybe with the brown paper bag over his head... I mean, it wouldn't look that bad and I could get over that as long as we're winning games. I just fear that he'll go to cut holes where his eyes are and he'll make the hole too large, then we're going to see it again. I just couldn't imagine that in Tampa, that belongs in the nosebleeds of Washington with a pig nose on it and an RG3 jersey. Has there ever been a subspecies of humanoid listed as a Buccaneers' head coach? I cannot recall honestly. What if it wants money to coach for us? Is that even legal to pay them, under the circumstances? What would it bring in for assistant coaches. I don't want to look up and see that Pauly Shore is our defensive coordinator. The moment I see Gerald McCoy doing the weasel, I'll snap. I'm thinking we put a brown paper bag of Brad Childress, we contact sponsors, maybe put a few Nike Checks on it and some Pepsi logos, so we get some kickbacks and furthermore, we hire the assistant staff. You know he's going to take that bag off though and what happens if he contaminates others. Like, he goes to throw a challenge flag and the already stupid referees pick it up. I didn't think they could get any dumber, but if it spreads through our locker room we'll be doomed.  I don't think the CDC has a cure for stupid yet, I mean Snooki is still running around out there. I guess at the end of the day, I'll try to live with it if that is the case, maybe I'll run by the store to get some brown paper bags.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #7 : November 05, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »

3SK - that comment was hilarious with just the stupid face diagram. Then you threw in a massive paragraph diatribe including references to Rob Cordry, Pauly Shore, and Snooki. That sir was epic. Effing awesome.

Unfortunately, your picture of Brad Childress' stupid face broke my computer and you now owe me $500 to replace it.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #8 : November 05, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »

I'd love to hear the case for Bevell.

I'm not vehemently opposed, but I hope it goes beyond "they had a great offense last year," because we don't have Russell Wilson. Here's how Football Outsider's ranks his offenses since he became an OC (counting backwards from 2013). The 4th-ranked was last year. The 8th rank was Favre's last hurrah. Let's also keep in mind he had a hand in the Flynn and Tavaris Jackson signings in Seattle.

14, 4, 22, 27,8, 25, 16, 31. 

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #9 : November 05, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »

Can the Glazers afford to keep Childress supplied with crack-laced chewing gum?

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

« #10 : November 05, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »

Not an exciting list.  Not sure why Hamilton is on the list.  He runs a really conservative offense, despite having one of the best young QB's in years.  Im not in love Roman either. 

Lovie seems to be the guy. 

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #11 : November 05, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »

What about Aaron Kromer?

He's worn a lot of offensive hats over the years, had a trial run as interim head coach last year with the Saints and is currently running (obviously with Trestman's help) Football Outsider's 7th-ranked offense. The guy has worked with some smart offensive guys.

I'm not banging the table, but think he should be in the mix.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #12 : November 05, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »

I'd love to hear the case for Bevell.

I'm not vehemently opposed, but I hope it goes beyond "they had a great offense last year," because we don't have Russell Wilson. Here's how Football Outsider's ranks his offenses since he became an OC (counting backwards from 2013). The 4th-ranked was last year. The 8th rank was Favre's last hurrah. Let's also keep in mind he had a hand in the Flynn and Tavaris Jackson signings in Seattle.

14, 4, 22, 27,8, 25, 16, 31.
I think the argument would be if you have Tarvaris Jackson as your QB, you have bigger problems than your head coach. All coaches are only as successful as the players they have so you look at all of them in the ideal situation as having close to the types of players they need, and in those circumstances Bevell has been good.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #13 : November 05, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »

Schiano in 2014.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #14 : November 05, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »

Schiano in 2014.

Ha. You silly DTG

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Expect to see these names when the coaching carousel season begins. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools