Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: peyton manning « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 05, 2013, 11:47:07 AM

Can we stop comparing Glennon to Manning because they both played subpar their rookie years. Manning was the best QB prospect since Elway and was selected number one overall. Glennon was not touted at all coming out of college and in fact a lot of people had him going in the 5th round or later, but the Bucs reached and selected him 73rd overall. There is no comparison between the two.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 05, 2013, 11:52:36 AM

Can we stop comparing Glennon to Manning because they both played subpar their rookie years. Manning was the best QB prospect since Elway and was selected number one overall. Glennon was not touted at all coming out of college and in fact a lot of people had him going in the 5th round or later, but the Bucs reached and selected him 73rd overall. There is no comparison between the two.
Also, the reason Manning threw all those INT's was he was trying to be the superstar QB he would become and had to make those mistakes in order to learn how to do it right. Glennon isn't throwing INT's like that but if he's ever going to be a good QB, he needs to make those kinds of difficult passes. Will he suddenly learn how to after not doing it to this point or are his numbers going to go down a bunch once he decides to play that kind of game?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 05, 2013, 12:35:56 PM

You can get a stud WR in free agency. You can NEVER get a stud QB in free agency. I say with the top pick, we HAVE TO take a QB.

The New Orleans Saints would disagree.
Packers would too. But how often does this happen?
U
What "stud" QB did the Packers get in FA?
Maybe he's thinking Brett Favre? He was a 2nd round pick by Atlanta.I could mention Tom Brady(6th) and Joe Montana (3rd) too.This mindset that it takes a first round pick to play QB in the NFL amazes me... I'm saying give Glennon time to develop, not saying he will become Peyton Manning. Although, Tom Brady gsve us a@ good imitation...

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 05, 2013, 12:44:39 PM

I don't think his draft position has anything to do with it at this point, NDY.

It's what we see.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 05, 2013, 12:45:36 PM

Also, it's a stretch to say Manning was "sub-par" as a rookie. Maybe by his own standards, but not in terms of NFL QBs.

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
#20 : November 05, 2013, 12:52:08 PM

You can NEVER get a stud QB in free agency.

Well someones going to get Josh Freeman in free agency for next year...aren't they?

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 05, 2013, 01:14:29 PM

Draft a TE in the second and sign a guy like Edleman to play the slot.  Look for VJax's replacement in the 2015 draft.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 05, 2013, 02:52:10 PM

Draft a TE in the second and sign a guy like Edleman to play the slot.  Look for VJax's replacement in the 2015 draft.

Yeah he can sit next to nicks on IR next year.

You draft a QB in round one, you draft a QB in round two and any other round you think you can get a talented passer. You line them up in camp and let it play out without and preconceived notions. The best man wins and maybe, just maybe, the bucs win.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#23 : November 05, 2013, 03:24:07 PM

Yeah he can sit next to nicks on IR next year.

You draft a QB in round one, you draft a QB in round two and any other round you think you can get a talented passer. You line them up in camp and let it play out without and preconceived notions. The best man wins and maybe, just maybe, the bucs win.

Sweet, we can be the first team to carry 7 QBs.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#24 : November 05, 2013, 03:29:56 PM

Qb with the top pick, or I can't even take you serious.

Even If clowney turns out great, the value is with the QB first and foremost. If we don't have a qb, it's a wasted season again. Did Jpeppers win superbowls?Allen? Etc?

Glennon can't win a game at the pro level, and we're supposed to believe he's the second coming of big manning?? Gtfo.

And even If he goes super-glennon, there is nothing wrong with having a good backup, or trade-in value when a team gets qb hungry (which happens at least once a season).

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

tog

Pro Bowler
#25 : November 05, 2013, 04:58:45 PM

You can get a stud WR in free agency. You can NEVER get a stud QB in free agency. I say with the top pick, we HAVE TO take a QB.

The New Orleans Saints would disagree.
Packers would too. But how often does this happen?
U
What "stud" QB did the Packers get in FA?
Maybe he's thinking Brett Favre? He was a 2nd round pick by Atlanta.I could mention Tom Brady(6th) and Joe Montana (3rd) too.This mindset that it takes a first round pick to play QB in the NFL amazes me... I'm saying give Glennon time to develop, not saying he will become Peyton Manning. Although, Tom Brady gsve us a@ good imitation...

Actually, drafting a 1st round QB is BY FAR the best option.

Starting with the 2010 draft (anything else is too soon) and ending with the 2000 draft (so 11 drafts), here are the percentages:

1st Round: 28 QBs drafted, 10 Franchise QBs [35.7% hit rate]
2nd Round: 12, 0
3rd Round, 12, 0
4th-7th Round: 90, 3 (counting UDFAs as hits) [3.3%]

The hits are Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, Cutler, Rodgers, Manning Roethlisberger, Rivers, Palmer, Romo, Bulger and Brady. 

So from 2000-2010 the only QBs who were franchise QBs taked outside of the 1st round were Romo, Bulger and Brady for a hit rate of 2.6%. And that includes any and all UDFAs as hits (so one, being Romo).

Mizer

Second String

#26 : November 05, 2013, 05:05:42 PM

Glennon was not touted at all coming out of college and in fact a lot of people had him going in the 5th round or later, but the Bucs reached and selected him 73rd overall. .

that is just a lie.  Glennon is a third round pick.  just leave it at that dude... don't make stuff up.  total fabrication.

not touted at all?  I know of 2 guys that said he might be the best qb in the draft...

Many said he was fifth round... do not recall anyone projecting him there.  would like to see your facts.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#27 : November 05, 2013, 07:37:20 PM

Greg Cosell said he could see Glennon going late first round, and looked NFL ready. Good stats,TOG, but IF Glennon continues to improve as Russell Wilson did last season (oh, he was a 3rd round pick), I'd hesitate to pick a QB in round 1 with only a 35% of him becoming a franchise QB. Now if Glennon suddenly fizzles, which I've seen absolutely no sign of, I would have to agree to take a round 1 QB. Ideally, Glennon continues to ride the Dana Bible express into the NFL as Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson did before him, and we can trade that early pick for multiple picks. We would then be in a better position to greatly strengthen multiple other positions. I just don't get why so many here seem toWANT Glennon to fail...

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#28 : November 05, 2013, 07:52:47 PM

Glennon may look decent so far. But you never pass on a Elite QB when you don't have one already.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#29 : November 05, 2013, 08:01:22 PM

I don't want Glennon to fail, he has no value if he fails.  He has shown me nothing that proves his ceiling is more than an Alex Smith type who is a good game manager but can't be relied upon to put a team on his shoulders.  I personally want to root for a team with a franchise QB that can win games when the situation calls for it, a la Russell Wilson this weekend.  If you have a chance to get that, you don't pass that up.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: peyton manning « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools