Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One thing we learned last night... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#45 : November 08, 2013, 02:23:01 PM

I love how when discussing a current Buc QB (no matter who he is at the time) people say all that matters is wins and losses but when they are trying to make a case for drafting a QB it's more that the team is the reason they don't look good.

to me it's not that Mariota lost last night it is how he looked while losing. When the game was a game (i.e. Stanford applying pressure) his throws were off target. He over threw his check down receiver on multiple occasions (i.e. Freeman) and had happy feet in the pocket. Anyone with talent can stand in a clean pocket and hit wide open receivers all day long. Stanford's D, as good as it is, is comparable to an average D in the NFL, a D that Mariota will see week in and week out once he is in the NFL. the fact that when Mariota struggles when he faces Stanford should mean a lot when evaluating him.

While I am not saying that with work and time he can not become a good/great QB in the NFL, there is no way I would pick him in the top of the 1st round when the Bucs need a lot more then a QB right now. a high 1st round pick should be as close to a ready to play can't miss stud as possible, Mariota is not that right now.
And so you do what? Pick Clowney or Barr and then go QB later?  What are our best QB choices? You wanna say Johnny Football, I'm fine with that. Teddy, ok, if he is there. But who has teddy faced this year and looked good?

I would say if we miss out on Teddy, then we take either Clowney/Barr/Mathews or trade back.  This is a very deep draft and we have multiple holes to fill.  Trade back, if offered, and take the best OT/DE on the board in the 1st.  TE/QB in the 2nd.  I dont see a ton of drop off between an Aaron Murray from a Marcus Mariota.  One is more athletic, the other more NFL ready.  Have Murray and Glennon compete.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

bill_kir

Starter

#46 : November 08, 2013, 02:24:49 PM

I love how when discussing a current Buc QB (no matter who he is at the time) people say all that matters is wins and losses but when they are trying to make a case for drafting a QB it's more that the team is the reason they don't look good.

to me it's not that Mariota lost last night it is how he looked while losing. When the game was a game (i.e. Stanford applying pressure) his throws were off target. He over threw his check down receiver on multiple occasions (i.e. Freeman) and had happy feet in the pocket. Anyone with talent can stand in a clean pocket and hit wide open receivers all day long. Stanford's D, as good as it is, is comparable to an average D in the NFL, a D that Mariota will see week in and week out once he is in the NFL. the fact that when Mariota struggles when he faces Stanford should mean a lot when evaluating him.

While I am not saying that with work and time he can not become a good/great QB in the NFL, there is no way I would pick him in the top of the 1st round when the Bucs need a lot more then a QB right now. a high 1st round pick should be as close to a ready to play can't miss stud as possible, Mariota is not that right now.
And so you do what? Pick Clowney or Barr and then go QB later?  What are our best QB choices? You wanna say Johnny Football, I'm fine with that. Teddy, ok, if he is there. But who has teddy faced this year and looked good?

If it was me (and i'm going off having the #2 pick in the draft) i'm trading down with MN or Clev, i'm stock piling picks, taking the best OL/DL player with the first that i swapped in the trade (should still be top 10), with my first 2nd rounder i would take the best available QB if the player eval fit the pick, if not i would again take the best OL/DL on the board.

As of right now I would roll with Glennon next year with the way he is developing. (that could all change though as the season wears on) and bring in a veteran QB to back him up.

I'm not high on picking any QB in this years draft in the top of the 1st round, i think people are over valuing them.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#47 : November 08, 2013, 03:12:23 PM

If it was me (and i'm going off having the #2 pick in the draft) i'm trading down with MN or Clev, i'm stock piling picks, taking the best OL/DL player with the first that i swapped in the trade (should still be top 10), with my first 2nd rounder i would take the best available QB if the player eval fit the pick, if not i would again take the best OL/DL on the board.

As of right now I would roll with Glennon next year with the way he is developing. (that could all change though as the season wears on) and bring in a veteran QB to back him up.

I'm not high on picking any QB in this years draft in the top of the 1st round, i think people are over valuing them.

+1 My thoughts exactly

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#48 : November 09, 2013, 01:43:15 PM

I am 100 percent with FRG on this one. So what would you guys do? Not draft a QB? You would actually take Cadillac Williams again over Aaron Rodgers? That is mind boggling. Understand this: all QBs look horrible with no protection. Go watch Tom Brady vs. the Bucs in the 2001 preseason. Also, the term 'project' is being misused. A project is a guy with incredible physical skills who can't even perform on the college level yet. See Dexter Jackson the wideout.
Can Mariota make all the throws? Is he better than what you have? What us his upside vs. floor? If that's his floor, I take it. Joe Montana looked that bad at times at Notre Dame too. But it was false analysis like in this thread that led him to drop to the third round.
Bridgewater, Mariota or Manziel? We have 5.5 months to debate. But it must be one of them.

It could just as easy be passing on Adrian Peterson for Ryan Leaf.  Or passing on Josh Freeman for DeMarcus Ware. The point being, even if we pass on Mariota, that in no way shape or form guarantees the drafting of a bust.  That makes the entire premise of that point  irrelevant.  The whole idea is to draft a player that is not a bust and will improve your team.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#49 : November 09, 2013, 03:13:28 PM

There are a lot of decent QBs this draft but I don't see any real top 10 QBs, I think that certain QBs have been over hyped a bit by the media. We'd be better off running against the grain and getting the best Oline or D player we can if we can't trade back.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One thing we learned last night... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools