Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 1st pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Bucs select...Jameis Winston « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
: November 05, 2013, 02:56:40 PM

Yes, I know he's not eligible for this draft, but hear me out.  Assuming he continues his run, wouldn't he be right up there with Bridgewater and Mariota in consideration for the top pick if he were eligible?  He's got everything a team could want; size, arm, accuracy, decision making, athleticism, production, poise, and character.  Maybe he'll be the "one" to challenge the NFL's unfair rules of eligibility?  He's got nothing to gain (from a financial and professional perspective) by staying in school.  Look at recent QB's that stayed in school.  Locker and Barkley come to mind.  Both were in consideration to be a very high pick following their junior seasons, but only hurt their stock (and wallets) by sticking around.  Bradford was still #1, but injuries nearly derailed that.  Clowney will still most likely be a top 5 pick, but he would have probably been #1 overall last season.  Andrew Luck is the exception, but he usually is.  If FSU does win the championship this season, Winston would have nothing else to prove.  I'm a big believer in striking when the iron is hot, and Jameis' iron is volcanic right now.

I get it if he really LOVES the college experience, or falls short of the championship this season and wants to redeem himself.  Then by all means, stay in school and good luck.  But if his dream is to be the #1 overall pick in the NFL, I've got two words for him...

LAWYER UP!!!

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 05, 2013, 03:01:45 PM

Yes, I know he's not eligible for this draft, but hear me out.  Assuming he continues his run, wouldn't he be right up there with Bridgewater and Mariota in consideration for the top pick if he were eligible?  He's got everything a team could want; size, arm, accuracy, decision making, athleticism, production, poise, and character.  Maybe he'll be the "one" to challenge the NFL's unfair rules of eligibility?  He's got nothing to gain (from a financial and professional perspective) by staying in school.  Look at recent QB's that stayed in school.  Locker and Barkley come to mind.  Both were in consideration to be a very high pick following their junior seasons, but only hurt their stock (and wallets) by sticking around.  Bradford was still #1, but injuries nearly derailed that.  Clowney will still most likely be a top 5 pick, but he would have probably been #1 overall last season.  Andrew Luck is the exception, but he usually is.  If FSU does win the championship this season, Winston would have nothing else to prove.  I'm a big believer in striking when the iron is hot, and Jameis' iron is volcanic right now.

I get it if he really LOVES the college experience, or falls short of the championship this season and wants to redeem himself.  Then by all means, stay in school and good luck.  But if his dream is to be the #1 overall pick in the NFL, I've got two words for him...

LAWYER UP!!!

I counted at least 48 things wrong with this scenario....

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

acacius

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 05, 2013, 03:03:19 PM

He's got nothing to gain (from a financial and professional perspective) by staying in school.
USC's Mike Williams would disagree.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#3 : November 05, 2013, 03:09:01 PM

LAWYER UP!!!

Like what?  The rules are unfair and it's only a matter of time until someone challenges them.  Why not Winston?

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
#4 : November 05, 2013, 03:10:14 PM

If he actually does that, with our luck we will probably pick second.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#5 : November 05, 2013, 03:11:07 PM

LAWYER UP!!!

Like what?  The rules are unfair and it's only a matter of time until someone challenges them.  Why not Winston?

Didn't Clowney look in to challenging them last year and turned out that it wasn't worth it? 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 05, 2013, 03:12:20 PM

Most people seem to think Winston is of the Andrew Luck variety who isn't a mirage like Matt Barkley and will be the top prospect no matter when he comes out. He's not going to fall once people start analyzing him.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#7 : November 05, 2013, 03:12:25 PM

LAWYER UP!!!

Didn't Clowney look in to challenging them last year and turned out that it wasn't worth it?
Not sure if he looked into it, but a lot of people thought he should have.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 05, 2013, 03:14:24 PM

LAWYER UP!!!

It's also unfair that we don't allow 12 year olds to drink alcohol, but maybe prolonging their wait to the promised land (million dollar contracts), maturing a wee bit more and having them take a few more college classes is better. If you don't wanna risk getting injured, then sit out the season.

Some of us MIGHT have been able to handle the responsibility of 50 million dollars at age 19, but keep in mind how fresh out of poverty these guys are.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#9 : November 05, 2013, 03:15:15 PM

Most people seem to think Winston is of the Andrew Luck variety who isn't a mirage like Matt Barkley and will be the top prospect no matter when he comes out. He's not going to fall once people start analyzing him.
You can never account for injuries, especially if he still continues to be a two sport athlete.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#10 : November 05, 2013, 03:15:50 PM

I was very surprised that Clowney didn't challenge that last year

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#11 : November 05, 2013, 03:21:22 PM

LAWYER UP!!!

It's also unfair that we don't allow 12 year olds to drink alcohol, but maybe prolonging their wait to the promised land (million dollar contracts), maturing a wee bit more and having them take a few more college classes is better. If you don't wanna risk getting injured, then sit out the season.

Some of us MIGHT have been able to handle the responsibility of 50 million dollars at age 19, but keep in mind how fresh out of poverty these guys are.
Those are personal issues that each player should have to deal with, and should not be the NFL's decision to make.  If they're 18 and have the skillset to perform a job, they shouldn't be prevented from following their career path.   If they fail miserably, that's on them.  If the NFL's really concerned with that, and I don't think they are, they should expand their counseling and rookie symposium programs.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 05, 2013, 03:28:04 PM

I doubt the NFL will change the rule.  For every Jameis that might make it, there would be dozens of players try it and fail.  And remember, as per NCAA rules, if they declare for the draft, they are done college wise.  So in the long run, I think it would produce far more Mike Williams and Maurice Claretts than successful transitions.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 05, 2013, 03:29:00 PM

LAWYER UP!!!

Those are personal issues that each player should have to deal with, and should not be the NFL's decision to make.  If they're 18 and have the skillset to perform a job, they shouldn't be prevented from following their career path.   If they fail miserably, that's on them.  If the NFL's really concerned with that, and I don't think they are, they should expand their counseling and rookie symposium programs.

Did you ever live on campus?  Counseling and rookie symposium programs simply can't give you the life experience. These guys aren't even a year removed from mom washing their clothes and cooking their meals.

While I agree that these guys shouldn't be restricted by silly rules, they definitely should grow up some before living an NFL life.

EDIT: And I say that because think of all the 19 year olds with Andrew Luck level maturity. The rule hurts them.
: November 05, 2013, 03:33:31 PM Lord Revis

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#14 : November 05, 2013, 03:40:28 PM

They definitely should grow up, and I wouldn't object to requiring them to have an actual degree before entering the NFL as most other well paying careers do.  Something with required classes in finances and public speaking to start. That's unrealistic, though.  I just think the current rules are preventing the truly special kids from making a living, which I thought was illegal (I am not a lawyer so I could be way off on that). 
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 1st pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Bucs select...Jameis Winston « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools