Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 1st pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Bucs select...Jameis Winston « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 05, 2013, 03:42:42 PM

I'd be all for Winston, but I still believe mariota and manziel are better qb's so far.

IMO, he needs another season to prove his worth.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#16 : November 05, 2013, 03:50:27 PM

I doubt the NFL will change the rule.  For every Jameis that might make it, there would be dozens of players try it and fail.  And remember, as per NCAA rules, if they declare for the draft, they are done college wise.  So in the long run, I think it would produce far more Mike Williams and Maurice Claretts than successful transitions.
It wouldn't be up to the NFL.  From what I've read, many people think it violates current labor laws and wouldn't stand up if someone really wanted to fight it.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#17 : November 05, 2013, 03:57:34 PM

I doubt the NFL will change the rule.  For every Jameis that might make it, there would be dozens of players try it and fail.  And remember, as per NCAA rules, if they declare for the draft, they are done college wise.  So in the long run, I think it would produce far more Mike Williams and Maurice Claretts than successful transitions.
It wouldn't be up to the NFL.  From what I've read, many people think it violates current labor laws and wouldn't stand up if someone really wanted to fight it.

It's a very interesting topic but I think the fact that no one has tried to fight it, speaks volumes. 

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 05, 2013, 04:22:00 PM

Maurice Clarett took the NFL to court and lost, at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. I don't know who these "many people" are.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#19 : November 05, 2013, 04:23:04 PM

It's a very interesting topic but I think the fact that no one has tried to fight it, speaks volumes.
This is a very valid point.  I wonder how much of that is about being afraid of the big, bad NFL entity that basically gets everything they want.  I think if I were Jameis and I wanted to play in the NFL next season, I'd hire Jay-z's firm as my agent.  He's got the money, lawyers, and name recognition to give the NFL's army of attorneys a huge headache.  They could possibly sway public opinion in their favor, especially if Jameis wins the heisman and NCAA championship.  Once they had the media and casual fans behind them, the NFL may decide it's not worth the fight and be willing to write in some exceptions.  Maybe only allow players with a 1st round grade from the advisory committee to bypass the rule.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#20 : November 05, 2013, 04:28:57 PM

They did fight it. They lost.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#21 : November 05, 2013, 04:40:27 PM

Lord Revis: cool sig

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#22 : November 05, 2013, 04:42:16 PM

That was a decade ago.  Labor laws change and new precedents could have been set since then.  Just because it lost once, doesn't mean a different judge on a different day wouldn't have a different decision.  I understand that it's beyond a longshot, but it's fun to speculate.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 05, 2013, 04:53:33 PM

That was a decade ago.  Labor laws change and new precedents could have been set since then.  Just because it lost once, doesn't mean a different judge on a different day wouldn't have a different decision.  I understand that it's beyond a longshot, but it's fun to speculate.

the judge who wrote the decision for the court of appeal now sits on the Supreme Court, right?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#24 : November 05, 2013, 04:57:53 PM

the judge who wrote the decision for the court of appeal now sits on the Supreme Court, right?
So apparently siding with NFL does wonders for your career.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 05, 2013, 04:59:29 PM

So apparently siding with NFL does wonders for your career.

If you connect dots, it appears that the NFL is actually run by the government.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 05, 2013, 05:01:08 PM

The case was brought on anti-trust grounds, not that it violated labor laws.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#27 : November 05, 2013, 05:06:39 PM

BR is right and I don't think the 3 judge panel really "sided" with anybody, they applied the law. Some have argued that there might be a discrimination issue (ie labor laws trump anti trust exemption) but that seems a stretch.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#28 : November 05, 2013, 05:09:07 PM

Jeez, you guys and your facts are bringing me down.  It's not like I have the playoffs or coach of the year awards to look forward to.  Can't you let a guy have some harmless speculation?
: November 05, 2013, 05:12:39 PM mgchat76

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#29 : November 05, 2013, 05:18:35 PM

Haha, sorry

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 1st pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Bucs select...Jameis Winston « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools