Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers take first overall pick « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#120 : November 06, 2013, 03:02:25 PM

Mariota does nothing for me, but passing on Bridgewater would be soul crushing. Only solice would be potentially moving back to the end of the round and taking JFF.

JFF and Clowney would be a sick draft and I'd cry tears of joy.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#121 : November 06, 2013, 03:03:14 PM

Funny some of you are putting our record all on the QB . I guess that means the Saints should have moved on from Drew Brees last season because 7-9 is just average and not gonna get it done , lol.

His performance alone is what will be evaluated.
Brees lead the NFL in INTs last year. He's part of the reason they went 7-9.

New Orleans also had the #1 ranked passing offense in the league ....so , no, he wasn't the reason . Their defense was. He had more INT's because he had to press and try and score every drive because the defense couldn't stop anyone. 

The Saints record alone does not tell the tale of how good Drew Brees is , and neither will the Bucs record tell the complete tale of Glennon.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#122 : November 06, 2013, 03:04:59 PM

I agree that if we go to number 1 overall we need to go QB. It would mean we went winless and Glennon isnt any better than a back up.

Using that exact logic you're saying the Cowboys should have drafted a QB instead of Emmitt Smith because Aikman went 0-11.

See how silly that looks?

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#123 : November 06, 2013, 04:06:14 PM

I agree that if we go to number 1 overall we need to go QB. It would mean we went winless and Glennon isnt any better than a back up.

Using that exact logic you're saying the Cowboys should have drafted a QB instead of Emmitt Smith because Aikman went 0-11.

silly is right, you're comparing Glennon, a third-round pick from NC State  to this:

As a senior, Aikman won the 1988 Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's top quarterback, a first for UCLA.[4] He was a Consensus All-American, the UPI West Coast Player of the Year, the Washington DC Club QB of the Year, a finalist for the 1988 AFCA "Coaches Choice" Player of the year award, and he finished third for the 1988 Heisman Trophy. UCLA matched the victory total from the previous season under Aikman, going 10-2 and losing only to USC and Washington State. The 1988 season culminated with a 17-3 Bruin victory over the Arkansas Razorbacks in the 1989 Cotton Bowl Classic, which was played in Dallas.[4] The Dallas media spent most of the Cotton Bowl Classic week promoting Aikman as the "next quarterback of the Cowboys," and much was made of Tom Landry watching Troy Aikman practice during the Bruins' workouts at Texas Stadium. Aikman finished his career as the number two career passing leader in UCLA history.[6][7] In 2008 he was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame.[8]

We just picked Glennon in the 3rd, not Luck as 1st overall.  Aikman was . . .  .

Aikman was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1989 NFL Draft, by the Dallas Cowboys.[4]

If you want to make a comparison, in 2005 we had Simms and took Caddy . . . . we passed on . . . . Rodgers, right?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#124 : November 06, 2013, 04:22:13 PM

But the Aikmen analogy is still correct , because it proves you can't judge a QB on wins and losses alone.

Glennon will be judged on his own merit , not that of his crappy team.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#125 : November 06, 2013, 04:25:35 PM

But the Aikmen analogy is still correct , because it proves you can't judge a QB on wins and losses alone.

Glennon will be judged on his own merit , not that of his crappy team.

You got that right. And further, you can't just look at stats. You have to use common sense and use your eyes to see if the guy flashes brilliance or not.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#126 : November 06, 2013, 04:29:11 PM

1. The Cowboys had spent the #1 pick of the draft on Aikman. That means he was drafted to be a starter and gets more than one year. Glennon was a 3rd round pick in one of the worst crop of QBs in years. These two things are not similar. At all. Not even close.

2. The following year they took Emmitt Smith with the 17th pick, not the 1st. So again, this has nothing to do with us if we are picking #1 this year. Your entire comment makes zero sense.

3. They spent their 1st round pick on a RB after going 1-15. It just happened to work out for them, but is this really the model you would like to see us follow? Because it is a horrible model and would fail horrible 99% of the time.

4. You are referring to something that happened 24 years ago. A few things have changed since then. Might wanna update your knowledge base.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#127 : November 06, 2013, 04:42:10 PM

1. The Cowboys had spent the #1 pick of the draft on Aikman. That means he was drafted to be a starter and gets more than one year. Glennon was a 3rd round pick in one of the worst crop of QBs in years. These two things are not similar. At all. Not even close.

2. The following year they took Emmitt Smith with the 17th pick, not the 1st. So again, this has nothing to do with us if we are picking #1 this year. Your entire comment makes zero sense.

3. They spent their 1st round pick on a RB after going 1-15. It just happened to work out for them, but is this really the model you would like to see us follow? Because it is a horrible model and would fail horrible 99% of the time.

4. You are referring to something that happened 24 years ago. A few things have changed since then. Might wanna update your knowledge base.

Lol. Good sh*t.

Ironic that JC5100 is pointing out the silliness of posts....

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#128 : November 06, 2013, 04:50:14 PM

Also, it was genuinely hard to be a QB in 1989. Only two players passed for more than 4,000 yards. Offensive schemes dictated deep passes and long drop backs. Defensive backs could mug receivers. Many college teams ran schemes that would seem outdated at the high school level today. QBs weren't prepared.

Now days, we're one week removed from Jason Campell throwing for 262 yards and 3 TDs, Case Keenum throwing for 350 yards and 3 TDs, and Josh McCown throwing for 272 yards and 2 TDs. Passing is so much easier now.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#129 : November 06, 2013, 05:55:17 PM

If Glennon shows that he is a keeper and we do decide to not take a QB with our 1st round pick, I would much rather take Anthony Barr over Clowney.  We need a true speed rusher.  Clowney is in the same mold as Clayborn and Bowers. We need a Von Miller or Demarcus Ware type edge rusher and Barr is the closest thing to that in this draft

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#130 : November 06, 2013, 05:57:30 PM

Also, it was genuinely hard to be a QB in 1989. Only two players passed for more than 4,000 yards. Offensive schemes dictated deep passes and long drop backs. Defensive backs could mug receivers. Many college teams ran schemes that would seem outdated at the high school level today. QBs weren't prepared.

Now days, we're one week removed from Jason Campell throwing for 262 yards and 3 TDs, Case Keenum throwing for 350 yards and 3 TDs, and Josh McCown throwing for 272 yards and 2 TDs. Passing is so much easier now.

So true. Can't stress this enough, but I don't think many people realize just how much it has changed. Especially in the last 5 years.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#131 : November 06, 2013, 09:55:50 PM

Mariota does nothing for me, but passing on Bridgewater would be soul crushing. Only solice would be potentially moving back to the end of the round and taking JFF.

JFF and Clowney would be a sick draft and I'd cry tears of joy.

I can't see Schiano going that route. If he is still here, that is.  He doesn't want Glennon free lancing, Johnny would give him a stroke.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#132 : November 06, 2013, 09:59:12 PM

If Glennon shows that he is a keeper and we do decide to not take a QB with our 1st round pick, I would much rather take Anthony Barr over Clowney.  We need a true speed rusher.  Clowney is in the same mold as Clayborn and Bowers. We need a Von Miller or Demarcus Ware type edge rusher and Barr is the closest thing to that in this draft

I don't get the comparison really. Clowney is in the mold of a Julius Peppers. Clowney is the best defensive prospect in the last decade comparing  him to AC or DB just seems wrong.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#133 : November 06, 2013, 10:02:15 PM

Don't pass on future franchise QB's when all you have is someone like Glennon as your QB.

Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers take first overall pick « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools