Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL personnel question 'coward' Martin for not challenging Incognito « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

youngone

Hall of Famer
#30 : November 05, 2013, 10:04:10 PM

Latest is that the Dolphins coaching staff encouraged Incognito to toughen Martin up after Martin missed two OTAs.  This is going to end up badly for the Dolphins.
Wow... Good job Philbin and company.

Why not send a real professional like Cameron Wake or Randy Starks? They send the scumbag Incognito. Good job!

spartan

Hall of Famer
#31 : November 05, 2013, 10:10:18 PM

Anybody see the movie The Blind Side?

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#32 : November 05, 2013, 10:16:39 PM

More like A Few Good Men and Col Nathan Jessup wanting to train the lad.

Martin's parents are both Harvard lawyers?  Can anyone confirm this?  If so, the NFL is probably in some serious trouble.  At some point this hazing crap was going to push the wrong person.  How many NFL players have Harvard law grads as parents? Oops.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#33 : November 05, 2013, 10:18:11 PM

Martin's parents are both Harvard lawyers?  Can anyone confirm this?  If so, the NFL is probably in some serious trouble.  At some point this hazing crap was going to push the wrong person.  How many NFL players have Harvard law grads as parents? Oops.
Both of his parents went to Harvard but I don't know if they both are lawyers or not.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#34 : November 05, 2013, 10:19:05 PM

Marty said today, he never allowed that BS to go on.  And a couple of his players backed him up.  Good for him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#35 : November 05, 2013, 10:32:15 PM

Both of his parents went to Harvard but I don't know if they both are lawyers or not.

Mom definitely did.  She works as counsel for Toyota.  Dad is an assistant dean and professor at Cal state.  He teaches criminal justice.  They hazed the wrong dude.  Hilarious.
: November 05, 2013, 10:34:56 PM The Anomaly

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#36 : November 05, 2013, 10:37:07 PM

Damn Schi... er... Philbin!

Where are all the Philbinopologists?

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#37 : November 05, 2013, 11:09:08 PM

Reddit.. Your new spot?

Yep. Here or there, all day long, baby.

And I very briefly found the subreddit called "spaced*cks".
I'm so sorry I introduced you to that site lol

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#38 : November 05, 2013, 11:52:54 PM

Marty said today, he never allowed that BS to go on.  And a couple of his players backed him up.  Good for him.

Dungy said he never allowed hazing. He also said he didn't allow fighting in practice punishable by being kicked out of practice and a fee of $10,000 to get back on the field. He said he had one fight in all of his years with the Bucs and Colts.

We can probably get a bit of confirmation on this.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

gone

Hall of Famer
#39 : November 06, 2013, 12:17:43 AM

Dungy said he never allowed hazing. He also said he didn't allow fighting in practice punishable by being kicked out of practice and a fee of $10,000 to get back on the field. He said he had one fight in all of his years with the Bucs and Colts.

Hazing, to a certain extent, serves a valid purpose.  It provides a sense of continuity, grants a certain "authority" to seniority. It bonds the seniors to the newcomers with a shared experience that they went through before as well.  It establishes a hierarchy among people where there are no "management" titles.  It can help make self important people understand they are part of a team, rather than just being "the man". There is a reason the practice has survived for so many centuries.

The problem with hazing is that it can also easily turn to abuse if it is not kept in check.  It's up to the members of the group to do that.  The primary check is supposed to be the newcomers saying "no".  That's when the senior members are supposed to either enforce the hazing or enforce the "no". 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#40 : November 06, 2013, 12:40:02 AM

Hazing, to a certain extent, serves a valid purpose.  It provides a sense of continuity, grants a certain "authority" to seniority. It bonds the seniors to the newcomers with a shared experience that they went through before as well.  It establishes a hierarchy among people where there are no "management" titles.  It can help make self important people understand they are part of a team, rather than just being "the man". There is a reason the practice has survived for so many centuries.

The problem with hazing is that it can also easily turn to abuse if it is not kept in check.  It's up to the members of the group to do that.  The primary check is supposed to be the newcomers saying "no".  That's when the senior members are supposed to either enforce the hazing or enforce the "no".

That is fine, but certain guys abused the practice.  They would take rooks to strip clubs, and run up a 30k bill in one night, and hand the check to the rooks.  Sometimes they would order bottles of expensive wine, a bottle for each player there, at $500 a whack. And then order a couple more "to go" for each player.

The whole thing is out of control. And Philbin should of stepped up and been the leader he is supposed to be.  It can be done, Dungy and Marty would not allow it.  I always liked Marty, and my opinion of him went up a few notches when I heard that today. Its looking like a leadership void on the Dolphins.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#41 : November 06, 2013, 02:26:13 AM

Sam didn't allow hazing. Instead, rookies were made to sing in front of the fans who turned out for open camp practices.

gone

Hall of Famer
#42 : November 06, 2013, 03:46:33 AM

That is fine, but certain guys abused the practice.  They would take rooks to strip clubs, and run up a 30k bill in one night, and hand the check to the rooks.  Sometimes they would order bottles of expensive wine, a bottle for each player there, at $500 a whack. And then order a couple more "to go" for each player.

The whole thing is out of control. And Philbin should of stepped up and been the leader he is supposed to be.  It can be done, Dungy and Marty would not allow it.  I always liked Marty, and my opinion of him went up a few notches when I heard that today. Its looking like a leadership void on the Dolphins.

I'm not saying I approve of what went on there at all.  Just that blanket "hazing is bad" statements are not accurate.  In proper measure it can be a very good thing.  It was clearly taken too far.   And the specific incognito/Martin thing wasn't hazing at all.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#43 : November 06, 2013, 06:02:56 AM

I can buy that they wanted to toughen him up. While he's getting a lot of sympathy we can speak the truth here and say that Martin sucks and is tissue paper soft in his game. I'm not sure I'd delegate my toughening up duties to a man who I think even outsiders could see is a borderline personality. I doubt that having Ritchie threaten a dudes family or call him racial epithets was part of the plan either but again when you hand the job to Captain Crazy you likely needed to be a bit more hands on.

Martin might not get another job in the NFL but frankly his play more than being a narc is what will keep him off rosters.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Havok904

Starter

#44 : November 06, 2013, 12:48:08 PM

Richie was trying to make a man out of Martin.  Martin still just a boy though.

calling him th n-word and threatening rape and kill his mom a good thing?...mind boggling

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL personnel question 'coward' Martin for not challenging Incognito « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools