Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs' McCoy.... 'Rules are shaky,' NFL is getting 'soft' « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: November 20, 2013, 03:47:03 AM

Bucs' McCoy: 'Rules are shaky,' NFL is getting 'soft'

ROSS JONES

FOX Sports

NOV 19, 2013 7:36p ET

Kim Klement / USA TODAY Sports

Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy is in his third season in the NFL.

Buccaneers defensive lineman Gerald McCoy believes player safety rules significantly put defensive players at a disadvantage, both schematically and physically.

"I think the rules are shaky," McCoy said on The Peter Schrager Podcast Tuesday. "I think they're making the NFL a little soft now, you know? I'm all for protecting the players. I don't want anybody to ever play this game to get hurt. That's not the reality because people are going to get hurt. It's too physical of a game. Me, personally, I don't want to see anybody get hurt.

"But the way the game is played now, it's like you can't do anything. I got a personal foul Sunday. I hit Matt Ryan square in his numbers, the helmet was to the side of his number. When I slowed it down, my helmet didn't even hit him in the chest. My helmet was to the side, but they said I ducked my head, so that's a personal foul."

McCoy's concerns validate the notion that defensive players are letting up to avoid being penalized or fined. Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson, who was suspended a game for illegal helmet-to-helmet contact, has also been the subject of a $100,000 fine for a Week 2 hit.

"Guys are trying not to use their helmet," McCoy said. "Honestly man, a lot of tackles are being missed because guys are slowing down. You look at the numbers of tackles being missed by people, a lot of the tackles missed are going up by the year because everybody is nervous about this or nervous about that. They don't want to get fined."

While the NFL has been taking proper precautions to make the game safer for offensive players, McCoy believes the rules leave some defensive players vulnerable.

"They want to protect the players, but as a defensive lineman there are certain blocks I feel are [illegal]," McCoy said. "I got put out of the game in Seattle because of a cut block that I felt was illegal, but it wasn't. It was legal.

"What about when Jamaal Charles cut Brian Cushing when he was blitzing? He tore his ACL on a cut block, you know? But it was a perfectly legal block."

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

#1 : November 20, 2013, 09:45:53 AM

Lawsuits young brother, lawsuits.

Its ok, Ive been here before... - Lovie Smith    ---------     Hes a great coach, hes been there before. - Lavonte David
Hes a great coach.  - Mike Evans

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 20, 2013, 02:48:11 PM

McCoy is absolutely right, and i applaud him for actually speaking out about it.

The NFL IS getting dumber.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 20, 2013, 02:51:42 PM

Goodell is well on his way toward ruining the league.

In Verner We Trust

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 20, 2013, 02:56:38 PM

He certainly helps, but the union is also very guilty.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 20, 2013, 03:01:37 PM

The reality is that they're becoming richer and more powerful every day.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 20, 2013, 03:08:03 PM

The reality is that they're becoming richer and more powerful every day.

Lawyers ruin nearly everything. And yes, they are becoming too powerful.

They can have the refs call games for them to get who they want in playoffs because of the new rules.

I'd like to see a list of all the games this season that were desided by a penalty. I bet there is at least 1/3.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#7 : November 20, 2013, 03:16:57 PM

McCoy's right.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 20, 2013, 03:28:21 PM

You do realize that Goodell works for the 32 owners in the NFL? Goodell doesnt make the rules either. They have committees that do that and the owners have to agree on all of it. I love how Goodell gets blamed for everything.. even the idiots who think the fine money goes in his pockets.

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

#9 : November 20, 2013, 03:33:33 PM

Mccoys definantly right about this. I mean u can't even hit a qb anymore unless it's a full on wrap around textbook tackle ans star qb's pfff..don't even think about it. That's 15 and a first nearly everytime. I wonder how many sacks have been taken away this year just from that alone. I bet close to half. U can tell bec when **CENSORED**boy brees even gets a hand to the chest he turns to the ref like Wtf? U not gonna call that.it's ruining the nfl there not gonna do **CENSORED** about it either. Defense is going to be a thing of the past 10-15 years down the line at this rate its going to be like arena league football.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 20, 2013, 03:37:35 PM

You do realize that Goodell works for the 32 owners in the NFL? Goodell doesnt make the rules either. They have committees that do that and the owners have to agree on all of it. I love how Goodell gets blamed for everything.. even the idiots who think the fine money goes in his pockets.

1. We don't really know if the money doesn't go into pockets. Do you know the percentage taken? ..I don't. Could be, they only give out a certain percentage, then the rest is put on hold for whatever they like, under the name of another account.

2. Goodell is the voice of the owners, but he also should be able to have some say, and stand up to them by saying it's going too far and ruining the game. He seems like he genuinely believes in what he's doing. That to me, is the problem. Maybe he has no power, and is only a yes man. Guess if I were him, I wouldn't want to rock the boat either. He's a lucky guy to have that job.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 20, 2013, 09:21:18 PM

You could sense his frustration last Sunday. Hit him high, penalty. Tackle him around the ankles, penalty.  The league may as well go ahead and change the rule to , get 2 hands on the QB, and the play is over.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 20, 2013, 09:35:12 PM

You could sense his frustration last Sunday. Hit him high, penalty. Tackle him around the ankles, penalty.  The league may as well go ahead and change the rule to , get 2 hands on the QB, and the play is over.

Isn't that the truth.

I wonder if they even do any type of computer model that shows these calls help at all. Or if they have any kind of program that can calculate the high vs low percentage of injuries. My guess is that they didn't do their homework, and thought it was just the way to go. Without running any simulations whatsoever, how are they supposed to just guess? It's like choosing a leg injury over concussions, what does it matter? Both can take you out of the game forever and ruin your life. But at least with a (normal) concussion, you can still play the game.

I mean, it seems redundant to me. Hits should be where the pads are, not at their unprotected parts. And as someone said before, they should make them wear a different color outfit, because DE's, LB's, etc need to know that's the guy they better take it easy with. Qb's are being coddled so much, that IF they continue on this path, they are literally going to change the landscape of qb's in the NFL. They will also, and have already, ruined most SS careers.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 21, 2013, 01:00:31 AM

I didn't make it past the first line before giving up.
"Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy is in his third season in the NFL."
Really, his 3rd season huh?
OK that sure makes whatever you typed credible.

And to think these clowns in the media get paid to produce such trash.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs' McCoy.... 'Rules are shaky,' NFL is getting 'soft' « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools