Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Stench in Tallahassee at FSU ! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 26

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 02, 2013, 05:10:12 PM

True , it is cyclical.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 02, 2013, 06:02:58 PM

Say what you will about the ACC, Miyagi, but at least the ACC isn't near as bad as the BIG10/11/12.
Don't be foolish.

The ACC and Big 10 are comparable. If one is better than the other, it ain't by much.

The Big 12 is a much better football conference than the ACC.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 02, 2013, 06:22:34 PM

FSU would compete in the SEC this year

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 02, 2013, 07:43:21 PM

Who would argue that?

The sad part is, FSU could have been ACTUALLY competing in the SEC for over 20 years now, but instead chose to join the far inferior ACC.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#19 : December 02, 2013, 07:44:59 PM

I don't care about your little feud with runatroll.   Belittiling the ACC as a way of taking shots at FSU is lame.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 02, 2013, 08:16:59 PM

And I don't give a **CENSORED** what you think.

I'll call a spade a spade, and the ACC is **CENSORED**ing pathetic. I've been showing his ass in this board for damn near a decade on the subject. He talks **CENSORED** about the SEC, and the he has to eat his words because of how things go down on the field. You think it's lame, then **CENSORED**ing ignore it. I have no problem doing it with your stupid disputes over irrelevant teams.

Joining the ACC is the only problem I have with FSU. I like all of the Florida schools, but joining the ACC was a **CENSORED** move.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 02, 2013, 08:23:07 PM

FSU would compete in the SEC this year

Of course...they'd also most likely have 1 loss.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 02, 2013, 08:40:05 PM

Somebody's butt hurt

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 02, 2013, 08:45:23 PM

I'll call a spade a spade, and the ACC is **CENSORED**ing pathetic. I've been showing his ass in this board for damn near a decade on the subject. He talks **CENSORED** about the SEC, and the he has to eat his words because of how things go down on the field. You think it's lame, then **CENSORED**ing ignore it. I have no problem doing it with your stupid disputes over irrelevant teams.

Joining the ACC is the only problem I have with FSU. I like all of the Florida schools, but joining the ACC was a **CENSORED** move.

do you know why FSU joined the ACC? im going to assume not and that you aren't old enough to remember how things were back then. ill fill you in

back in the early 90s the ACC was actually a better conference than the SEC. don't argue with me and im sure you don't believe it but it was. Georgia Tech had just won the National title, UNC was a regular 9win team, Clemson was very solid as well as Maryland and NC state

FSU was courted by both conferences because we were the big money draw in CFB at the time. the ACC actually had a better media package worth quite a bit more money than the one the SEC had. our President also wanted to be associated with universities with prestigious academic reputations (for what reason I have no idea) and the ACC offered that in spades over the SEC.

the administration saw the opportunity to enter the ACC and be able to keep our rivalry games with Miami and UF as well as schedule teams like Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Auburn as well as have a less strenuous path to the National title game and more money. we traded a hard in conference schedule for a great non conference schedule which was key for the fans. we used to be the team that would play anybody anywhere and the fans and coaches wanted to continue that.

if they could have looked into a crystal ball and seen the media contract the SEC would be getting im sure they would have done things differently

it doesn't really matter because those FSU teams in the 90s would have run the SEC as easily as they did the ACC, the talent there was borderline unfair

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 02, 2013, 09:57:22 PM

do you know why FSU joined the ACC? im going to assume not and that you aren't old enough to remember how things were back then. ill fill you in

back in the early 90s the ACC was actually a better conference than the SEC. don't argue with me and im sure you don't believe it but it was. Georgia Tech had just won the National title, UNC was a regular 9win team, Clemson was very solid as well as Maryland and NC state

FSU was courted by both conferences because we were the big money draw in CFB at the timesj. the ACC actually had a better media package worth quite a bit more money than the one the SEC had. our President also wanted to be associated with universities with prestigious academic reputations (for what reason I have no idea) and the ACC offered that in spades over the SEC.

the administration saw the opportunity to enter the ACC and be able to keep our rivalry games with Miami and UF as well as schedule teams like Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Auburn as well as have a less strenuous path to the National title game and more money. we traded a hard in conference schedule for a great non conference schedule which was key for the fans. we used to be the team that would play anybody anywhere and the fans and coaches wanted to continue that.

if they could have looked into a crystal ball and seen the media contract the SEC would be getting im sure they would have done things differently

it doesn't really matter because those FSU teams in the 90s would have run the SEC  as easily as they did the ACC, the talent there was borderline unfair
I am old enough to remember.

You're not too far off, but no the ACC was not the stronger conference at the time. Hell, you even contradicted this statement later in your wall of text. The path was less strenuous, as the ACC was the weaker conference, top to bottom. Bobby Bowden himself even admitted that they joined the ACC, because he didn't want any part of an SEC schedule.

If the discrepancy was as great as you made it out to be in the 90's, then FSU would have won more than 2 national titles. After FSU joined, it wasn't until Miami joined that any other team in the ACC competed for MNCs.

Yet, three different teams (I believe?) from the SEC all won nattys from '91-'99, and of course, the gap has widened significantly between the two conferences since 2000.

Good luck against Duke. 29 point favorite. That says it all.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 02, 2013, 10:22:07 PM

you do realize Miami didn't join til 2006 or 2007 right?

also Bowden didn't want to deal with the SEC teams because we had great non-conference schedules every year. we had a top 10 SOS every single year because we kept schools like UF and Miami on the schedule. I don't recall seeing many SEC teams scheduling nonconference slates anywhere near as hard as ours were

Snook

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 02, 2013, 11:22:07 PM

You guys need an education on the FSU-SEC story. The SEC commissioners actually invited FSU to join but pulled the invite after FSU showed interest in the ACC.  The hesitation by FSU stemmed from the fact the SEC wanted to put FSU in the same division as UF, Auburn and Alabama who were the top 3 teams in the SEC at the time. When FSU balked at that, they looked elsewhere. When the ACC showed interest, the SEC commissioners voted to pull the invite.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 02, 2013, 11:32:38 PM

http://nolefan.org/summary/fsu_acc.html

Great article on the process.  But very long.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 02, 2013, 11:36:53 PM

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 02, 2013, 11:47:09 PM

I'm familiar with the story. In fact, both of those articles are linked just a few threads down in another e-beating I've been dishing out on Runole (who claims that FSU never could have joined the SEC).

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 26
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Stench in Tallahassee at FSU ! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools