Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Position Update & other Draft News « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 75

bucshot420

Starter

#30 : December 04, 2013, 03:36:36 PM

I'm not sure how anyone thinks a new head coach is gonna be ok with handcuffing himself to the last HC's 3rd round QB. I just don't see a scenario where that happens.

I honestly think Orlavsky is gone after the season. Especially considering that they cut him last off-season just to bring him back on a cheaper one year deal.   That being said I could see the new head coach bringing in another mid-round QB to develop behind, and challenge Glennen in the interim.  We need a better back-up anyway, if Glennen plays well next year we should at least have a good starter and a decent young prospect being groomed.  If both QB's fail then we know that the year after we will be most likely be picking a QB in the first in what could be a deeper QB class than this one.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 04, 2013, 03:38:35 PM

I just think it's a package deal. If Schinao goes, then we'll take a 1st round QB and Glennon will never get a legitimate shot to start next year. Which is why sadly, I think Schiano will get another year.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 04, 2013, 03:41:16 PM

I just think it's a package deal. If Schinao goes, then we'll take a 1st round QB and Glennon will never get a legitimate shot to start next year. Which is why sadly, I think Schiano will get another year.

I agree 100%. I'm a Glennon guy and if Schi Schi goes bye bye then Glennon will be competing with a top tier rookie. If Schi Schi stays then it's o-line, d-line, TE for us.

I think the reason he stays is more to do with his 5 year contract than Glennon.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#33 : December 04, 2013, 03:56:48 PM

I'm not sure how anyone thinks a new head coach is gonna be ok with handcuffing himself to the last HC's 3rd round QB. I just don't see a scenario where that happens.
If our new regime reaches for a QB, then it won't be much of an upgrade in staff anyway.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 04, 2013, 04:04:05 PM

The only way I can see a new coach agreeing to give Glennon a year, is if the new coach is not impressed with any of this year's QBs, and it is agreed that he can do whatever it takes to get Winston or Mariota next year if Glennon ends up sucking.

However, if we get a new coach and that coach happens to really like one of this year's QB prospects.....then it ain't happening. It would most likely be a deal breaker. Kinda how it seems like Kelly was told he would have to stick with Freeman and so he bailed on us. I see us scary off HC candidates this time if the Glazers insist the new HC sticks with Glennon. It's just not how things work in the NFL.

If the QB was a proven vet, or a 1st round pick....then yeah. Sometimes new coaches have that QB forced upon them.....but Glennon is an unproven 3rd round pick. It's not the same.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 04, 2013, 04:08:57 PM

It depends on who the coach is and what scheme they plan on running.

If they want something more traditional, then I don't see why they wouldn't keep Glennon.

Bridgewater is probably unavailable. Carr is a possibility, but they would probably prefer to keep the first rounder and go with a guy that has good NFL tape versus a guy who has good tape versus weak college competition. Mettenberger too, but I don't think that either of them have much higher ceilings than Glennon to spend a first rounder on them, plus he has an injury puts more unknowns into the equation.

Boyd, Manziel wouldn't be options if they were going for a traditional offense.  McCarron is maybe an option in the mid rounds, but he's not a guy that a coach would go out of his way to draft and make a starter.

Honestly it looks like Glennon would remain the starter even if a new coach was brought in.

The FA QB market isn't very good either.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : December 04, 2013, 04:12:27 PM

What about Blake Bortles? :)

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 04, 2013, 04:19:40 PM

What about Blake Bortles? :)

Also leaning towards staying at UCF...maybe 2015 draft.

I wouldnt mind taking a late round flier on Murray or Mettenburger.  I think both will be good pros if they can come back from late season ACL tears.  I wouldnt hate spending a 6th on either and stashing them on IR all of 2014 while they rehab.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : December 04, 2013, 04:25:06 PM

I read Bortles was going back to school. Then I read that ESPN had him ranked as the 2nd best QB in the draft. A few hours later I read that he had filed paper work needed to declare early.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 04, 2013, 04:27:17 PM

The only way I can see a new coach agreeing to give Glennon a year, is if the new coach is not impressed with any of this year's QBs, and it is agreed that he can do whatever it takes to get Winston or Mariota next year if Glennon ends up sucking.

If it's an offensive minded coach this is probably true. I think a defensive minded coach would be cool leaving Glennon in place and going for the stud pass rushers early.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 04, 2013, 04:36:22 PM

If it's an offensive minded coach this is probably true. I think a defensive minded coach would be cool leaving Glennon in place and going for the stud pass rushers early.

AKA Lovie Smith

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 04, 2013, 04:51:06 PM

Heard a good point made on the sports page this morning, Stroud was pointing out how cellar dweller franchises fall into a cycle of firing a coach, new coach drafts his guy, loses, repeat cycle.

Ultimately it all hinges on the coach and his style. It's a given that JFF is going to need a specific kind if coach to use his talents and handle the circus.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 04, 2013, 06:07:13 PM

AKA Lovie Smith
Yep.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

gone

Hall of Famer
#43 : December 04, 2013, 06:34:03 PM

We pick 6th and the top 3 QBs on the list are gone.  There's your scenario. 

You don't draft a weak prospect in the first just because you think like a message board GM.  You don't roll with a prospect you aren't sold on just because you didn't draft the other guy. 

And you STILL need to get over the third round thing. 

Chip Kelly seems to be content rolling with the last HC's QB. 

Harbaugh ran with Smith for a year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 04, 2013, 07:17:43 PM

We pick 6th and the top 3 QBs on the list are gone.  There's your scenario. 

You don't draft a weak prospect in the first just because you think like a message board GM.  You don't roll with a prospect you aren't sold on just because you didn't draft the other guy. 

And you STILL need to get over the third round thing. 

Chip Kelly seems to be content rolling with the last HC's QB. 

Harbaugh ran with Smith for a year.

Being a 3rd round pick is relavent. It's not just me "not getting over it". If he was a 1st round pick, then it wouldn't matter who was HC next year. The fact he is only a 3rd round pick changes the situation.

Chip Kelly didn't even want Foles. He wanted Vick but eventually realized he is made of glass and sucks. Now Foles has been a rock star over the last month....but Kelly still would have dumped his ass for Mariota is a hot minute if he had the chance. Every coach wants "thier" QB. The fact that last year's QB class was garbage factors in too.

Harbaugh drafted Kap immediately and replaced Smith first chance he got. So that isn't a very good example to use.

As far as drafting a weak prospect, it's like I said before, if a new head coach really likes one of this year's QB prospects....he is going to insist on trying to get that guy even if we have to trade up. I never said anything about reaching for something that isn't there.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 75
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Position Update & other Draft News « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools