Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Position Update & other Draft News « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 75

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #945 : April 28, 2014, 03:39:27 PM »

Johnny Manziel - QB - Player

Speaking Monday, Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones declined comment on the team's purported interest in Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.
"There’s not anything I can say about it," Jones said. "We haven’t quite gotten into sorting out the quarterbacks yet." It's not surprising Jones would decline comment, but it is surprising the idea has gained traction. Quarterback is one of the few positions Dallas has sorted out, while the cap hit for dealing Tony Romo would be through the roof. Manziel is the kind of player owner Jerry Jones has rarely been able to resist, but he's going to have to in this case.
Related: Cowboys
Source: Dallas Morning News

My logo is bigger than your logo

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #946 : April 28, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »

If the goal is to recreate a poor man's version of Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers, not sure what "dealing Romo" has to do with it. They'd obviously keep both and let Manziel develop.

Only issue is that the first time Romo threw a late game pick the groundswell for Manziel would be deafening.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #947 : April 28, 2014, 04:15:02 PM »

The groundswell for Manziel will be huge anywhere.

It's the Tebow effect. You can't sit that guy on the bench without a huge distraction.

You pick Manziel you better plan on playing him.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #948 : April 28, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »

If the goal is to recreate a poor man's version of Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers, not sure what "dealing Romo" has to do with it. They'd obviously keep both and let Manziel develop.

Only issue is that the first time Romo threw a late game pick the groundswell for Manziel would be deafening.

Preseasons are hell...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #949 : April 28, 2014, 05:09:54 PM »

This guy is suppose to be an OL guru when it comes to evaluating. Some surprises here.

http://thesidelineview.com/grades/ol

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #950 : April 29, 2014, 12:37:57 AM »

Link is down, JDub.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #951 : April 29, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »

This guy is suppose to be an OL guru when it comes to evaluating. Some surprises here.

http://thesidelineview.com/grades/ol

His stuff is pretty good.  His Dad was a longtime NFL, NCAA, CFL OL coach, and he clearly loves digging into those players.. I've heard him on a bunch of podcasts.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #952 : April 29, 2014, 08:36:12 AM »

Totally off the Garappolo subject, but something I heard this weekend made me think about this - why is "loving football" so important? I normally am of the opinion that it should be a huge part of the evaluation, but maybe that's overstated.

If you were hiring a lawyer, would you want to know how much he loved the law, or just need to know that he was very good in his field? Why is football different? Was Robert Smith a terrible football player because he loved medicine?

Just food for thought.
i think this comes down to film study.  does a player just want to go out and play?  or does a player want to know why the opposition does things?  a player could love sundays but hate the film room.  he might make a great college QB but when things even out athletically he will probably fail.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #953 : April 29, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »

I guess my point is that there are a lot of guys who "love football" but maybe we should be focused less on that and more on how professional someone is, or how mature (and obviously, some of these things will overlap - they aren't mutually exclusive. Take Aaron Donald - seems professional and appears to love the game).

I'm sure there are other examples than Robert Smith, but he's a good one - by all accounts his dream was to be a doctor. Football was a means to an end, a job. But his approach was totally professional and the results were obvious on the field. Kwame Harris is the opposite - supposedly he didn't love the game (he wanted to be a pianist of all things), but also didn't seem to really work at it despite NFL gifts.

Freshman year in college I lived on the same hall as a bunch of the freshman football players (sadly, none of them on my hall lasted in the pros - one guy made it to camp with the Skins and survived 4 years with the Dolphins as a backup C, never playing in a game). Some guys were hard core football junkies, but a few of them would have preferred to have been hoops players had they got the right offer- you've not lived until you've watched a 6'-1", 290lb. All-SEC freshman team NT, nick-named the "Cookie Monster" dunk a basketball.

But the mature ones thrived because they realized the scholarship they were getting depended on them working their asses off (at Vandy, that meant academically as well as athletically).

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #954 : April 29, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »

I think successful NFL players have a love for the game, a drive to be the best, and the work ethic to put in the time required. Without all three of those things, I don't think a player will ever be great.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #955 : April 29, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »

I think the love of the game is important because of how tedious and demanding the work is that goes into it. These guys are compensated well, but the demands are arduous so a guy that doesn't love the game is going to have, at least a perceived, more difficult time putting the endless work in.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #956 : April 29, 2014, 12:30:32 PM »

I think the love of the game is important because of how tedious and demanding the work is that goes into it. These guys are compensated well, but the demands are arduous so a guy that doesn't love the game is going to have, at least a perceived, more difficult time putting the endless work in.

I would say that relative to the rewards, there are about 1,000 occupations more tedious and quite a few that are more demanding.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #957 : April 29, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »

Sammy Watkins - WR - Player

WGR 550 Buffalo reports the Bills "seem to be enamored by" Clemson WR Sammy Watkins.
ESPN's Todd McShay wrote in his most recent mock draft Tuesday that he's heard from three league sources that the Bills are trying to trade up from their No. 9 slot in an effort to land Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, or Watkins. Top beat writer Joe Buscaglia believes the "ideal range" for the Bills to move up is in the 4-6 area to select Watkins. They'd likely have to jump Oakland at No. 5.

Related: Bills
Source: WGR 550 Buffalo

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

« #958 : April 29, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »

Sammy Watkins - WR - Player

WGR 550 Buffalo reports the Bills "seem to be enamored by" Clemson WR Sammy Watkins.
ESPN's Todd McShay wrote in his most recent mock draft Tuesday that he's heard from three league sources that the Bills are trying to trade up from their No. 9 slot in an effort to land Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, or Watkins. Top beat writer Joe Buscaglia believes the "ideal range" for the Bills to move up is in the 4-6 area to select Watkins. They'd likely have to jump Oakland at No. 5.

Related: Bills
Source: WGR 550 Buffalo
I have been thinking a lot more lately that one team from the second tier of the top 10 will trade into the top 5.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #959 : April 29, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »

Hopefully we can get the Bills and 9ers into a bidding war for the pick if Manziel is gone.

Page: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 75
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Position Update & other Draft News « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools