Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former Tampa cop shoots man for texting during movie « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 31

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 14, 2014, 10:54:00 PM

SYG was denied.  Amen. 

So which gun nut is going to explain to me when do they take your gun permit away for being too old and senile to carry?  They take people's cars away all the time.

I guess I'll be using red box a lot more now.  Un-freaking-believable.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 14, 2014, 11:04:11 PM

Echo echo echo
We are now going to hear the argument that guns should not be allowed but Pops was justified to shoot this guy to death.

Go on counselor, spin that beotch.

Announcer: "The crowd now watches, in awe, as Psycho-Boy talks out of both sides of his mouth."
: January 14, 2014, 11:06:40 PM ---

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 14, 2014, 11:05:12 PM

SYG was denied. 

What does that mean?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 14, 2014, 11:27:51 PM

The guy is not going to able to invoke "Stand your ground".

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#34 : January 14, 2014, 11:33:04 PM

thanks but says who? I saw the police say that it did not appear to be an SYG issue. Is that what you are posting about?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#35 : January 14, 2014, 11:33:57 PM

Echo echo echo
We are now going to hear the argument that guns should not be allowed but Pops was justified to shoot this guy to death.

Announcer: "The crowd now watches, in awe, as Psycho-Boy talks out of both sides of his mouth."

the Truth will set you free

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 14, 2014, 11:40:49 PM

thanks but says who? I saw the police say that it did not appear to be an SYG issue. Is that what you are posting about?

I thought the judge said hell no.  Isn't the premise of SYG designed so that you aren't in jail like this crazy old man is currently?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 14, 2014, 11:45:42 PM

Echo echo echo

you caught that too?  for 100s of pages with no shame, lol

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 14, 2014, 11:49:51 PM

I thought the judge said hell no.  Isn't the premise of SYG designed so that you aren't in jail like this crazy old man is currently?

oh, I think you are talking about the court denying bond.  That does not prevent the shooter fro using SYG as a defense (although it sounds like a losing defense right now anyway). It's only that he cant bond out, which is really about the overall facts, only one of which being that it does not appear to this judge to be an SYG situation. he would assert the defense later, to avoid trial

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#39 : January 14, 2014, 11:55:01 PM

On Tuesday, Curtis Reeves, 71, made his first appearance in court for a charge of second-degree murder. Reeves' attorney, Richard Escobar, tried to persuade Circuit Judge Lynn Tepper that the former police officer was actually the victim in the incident and that Oulson was the "aggressor." Police said despite Reeves' claim that he was in fear of his safety, this was not a case for Florida's "stand your ground" defense. "Working with the state attorney's office it was determined that stand-your-ground does not fly here in this case," Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 15, 2014, 12:09:28 AM

I'm not a lawyer but isn't part of Stand Your Ground called "immunity"?  Meaning that's how Zim walked away originally, is it not?

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 15, 2014, 12:11:22 AM

If Pops thinks he's going to play Judge Tepper he better recalibrate his expectations.

Otherwise he's in for a rude awakening.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#42 : January 15, 2014, 12:17:39 AM

I'm not a lawyer but isn't part of Stand Your Ground called "immunity"?  Meaning that's how Zim walked away originally, is it not?

EDIT:  I didnt see that you said "originally," so yes Z was not charged initially (see below)

Z walked on a verdict not immunity.  By immunity I think you are referring to the fact that a person could avoid trial by pleading SYG as a pre-trial defense. In other words, saying to a judge "yes, the defendant shot the victi but it was SYG so nothing for the jury to consider"

the parallel here - if you look at the quote I posted above - is what you are picking up on, that where in the Trayvon event the police and state attorney declined initially to charge Z because they viewed it as an SYG event, in the quote above the Pasco sheriff says that they considered that but still decided to charge. But, that is not to say he will not assert it as a defense

The facts are still being developed, but based on what is out now this sounds like the failed SYG defense in the Dooley case, not SYG in the Trayvon case

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/stand-your-ground-claim-by-trevor-dooley-in-fatal-park-shooting-rejected/1230020
: January 15, 2014, 12:22:57 AM VinBucFan

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 15, 2014, 05:30:50 AM

Pops is claiming that he was getting his head bashed against the theater seats-- and he feared for his life....

spartan

Hall of Famer
#44 : January 15, 2014, 08:27:43 AM

SYG was denied.  Amen. 

So which gun nut is going to explain to me when do they take your gun permit away for being too old and senile to carry?  They take people's cars away all the time.

I guess I'll be using red box a lot more now.  Un-freaking-believable.

Who says the art of conversation has died!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 31
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former Tampa cop shoots man for texting during movie « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools