Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former Tampa cop shoots man for texting during movie « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 31

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #300 : February 07, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »

in the absence of a substantive reponse ^^^^^^ attack the messenger

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #301 : February 07, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »

I would attack the messenger but I don't have a gun. Maybe I'll get drunk and run over them with my car. Just as effective.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #302 : February 07, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »

http://tbo.com/pasco-county/bond-hearing-resumes-in-pasco-theater-shooting-case-20140207/

“I thought the guy was going to beat the (expletive) out of me,” Reeves said on the tape, which was played in court this morning during a bond hearing for Reeves.

--- ----- -------------

Also on the tape, Reeves expressed regrets about how the situation unfolded.

“If I had it to do over again, it never would have happened,” Reeves said. “We would have moved.

----- ------- --------

Reeves’ attorneys, meanwhile, laid out their defense: That their client felt threatened by the much younger Oulson.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #303 : February 07, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »

I would attack the messenger but I don't have a gun. Maybe I'll get drunk and run over them with my car. Just as effective.

absence of substance ^^ attack the messenger , but hey you are a guy who has posted that more guns = more gun violence after having denied that point for months  . . lol . . . so I wouldnt expect anything but nonsense from you. You are to a gun debate what Durango is to a Building 7 debate  :-)

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #304 : February 07, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »

In an oversimplified sense, SYG is the castle doctrine outside the castle . . . . click this link and you can read perhaps the weakest SYG/castle doctrine defense ever:

http://tbo.com/pasco-county/bond-hearing-resumes-in-pasco-theater-shooting-case-20140207/

The interesting thing about this from a gun debate perspective though is that in his comments the shooter said that he would've simply moved seats if he could do it all over again.  That is the problem with a gun, it is a very effective weapon so the results are profound even with a moment of misjudgment.  . An angry man confronted by nothing but popcorn or a jealous boyfriend, a distraught family member or a careless parent . .  add a gun to any of those and someone likey ends up dead.  More guns = more gun violence

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #305 : February 07, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »

Earlier in this thread I suggested that a 71 year old man was emboldened by the fact that he had a gun, but for the gun he likely never confronts the younger guy:

1. he left to complain BUT still came back to his same seat

2. a witness claism he said this:

"I'll teach you to throw popcorn at me," an eyewitness recalled the shooter, retired Tampa police Capt. Curtis Reeves, saying."

Can you picture a 71 year old taking the same approach without a gun?  Even if he does, does it end in death?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #306 : February 07, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »

This situation doesn't mean a damn thing to the "gun debate" unless someone is arguing we should ban all guns.    It was a hand gun.   He was a legal holder and had been well trained.   There is no indication that he bought the gun through a means that would be considered a loop hole.   Hell, the gun shouldn't have been there if the theater's rules were being followed.

This is the shock value that anyone on the "anti-gun" side goes for when discussing this issue.

How about the fact that the 43 year old ex Navy guy was "emboldened" by the fact he was arguing with a 71 year old man?   The problem isn't the gun.  The problem is the fact that people have no respect for other people in today's society and too many people think they can/should kick someone's arse over every mundane disagreement.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #307 : February 07, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »

The problem is the fact that people have no respect for other people in today's society and too many people think they can/should kick someone's arse over every mundane disagreement.

^^^ which is the perfect environment for more guns ..  . :-[

denial is not just a river in Egypt . . .  if there is no gun in the hands of one of the guys who has "no respect for other people in today's society" and who though he should "kick someone's arse over every mundane disagreement" both guys walks away . . . and a 2 year old still has a father

( I think some of you would finish this comment with a /thread)

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #308 : February 07, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »

One of the interesting facts in the SYG defense will be does he have the gun in his hand before the popcorn (or any other object) flies?  Here's the video:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/bail-hearing-resumes-this-morning-in-movie-theater-shooting/2164575

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #309 : February 07, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »

One of the interesting facts in the SYG defense will be does he have the gun in his hand before the popcorn (or any other object) flies?  Here's the video:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/bail-hearing-resumes-this-morning-in-movie-theater-shooting/2164575

according to the story the prosecution objected to a version shown by the defense because of a removed 13 second time lapse. not sure which one this is but you can be assured the jury would only see the unaltered video because the timing is relevant

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #310 : February 07, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »

Earlier in this thread I suggested that a 71 year old man was emboldened by the fact that he had a gun, but for the gun he likely never confronts the younger guy:

1. he left to complain BUT still came back to his same seat

2. a witness claism he said this:

"I'll teach you to throw popcorn at me," an eyewitness recalled the shooter, retired Tampa police Capt. Curtis Reeves, saying."

Can you picture a 71 year old taking the same approach without a gun?  Even if he does, does it end in death?

Have to take all witness statements - and particularly the wictim's wife's statement with a huge grain of salt BUT, from the article:

Reeves got up and left the theater and Chad Oulson put his phone away, she said. When Reeves returned, he began taunting Chad.

"He kept saying stuff — 'Oh, now you put it away. What, are you scared?'"

If that is true, well . . . I am guessing the 71 year old felt a little better about his chances with the gun.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #311 : February 07, 2014, 03:35:18 PM »

Peanut Butter and Moonbeam have similar arguments. Both of them want the status quo to change, yet somehow they feel that the burden of proof is on everyone else. Both of them feel that their own belief is enough to make their views valid, and the rest of the world should accommodate them based on their word.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #312 : February 07, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »

His post event interview could come bck to haunt him:

Reeves asked about Oulson's condition. Proctor said he didn't know but "it doesn't look good."

Reeves repeatedly told the detective he was scared, though his contention that Oulson hit him was not supported by other witnesses, who said they saw no physical contact between the men.

Reeves' wife, Vivian, also told detectives she didn't see Oulson hit Reeves.

Vivian Reeves, in a recorded interview with Proctor, said Oulson "stood up and turned around and was just right there leaning over. It looked like his whole body came forward."

She said she didn't hear Oulson threaten her husband or see Reeves' gun. The whole thing "happened so fast" and she said she saw no sign of Reeves having been injured. But she did say the confrontation was scary enough to make her move seats.

She said her husband, a law enforcement officer for more than 20 years, had never shot anyone.

"He's never threatened anybody with a gun or nothing," she said. "I just couldn't believe it."

She added: "I do not like confrontation. I said to Curtis after the first conversation (with Oulson), 'Let's just move.'"

Reeves said he wished he had listened to his wife.

"My wife was saying we should have just moved … and she's absolutely right. That's what we should have done."

Still, Reeves was emphatic that he felt under attack.

"I was defending myself," Reeves said. "It doesn't make it any easier for me to accept but it was what I was doing."

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #313 : February 07, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »

Peanut Butter and Moonbeam have similar arguments. Both of them want the status quo to change, yet somehow they feel that the burden of proof is on everyone else. Both of them feel that their own belief is enough to make their views valid, and the rest of the world should accommodate them based on their word  .. . . and my word that more guns = more gun violence. . . . which I typed . ..  but . . . err . . .  um . .  yeah . . . hmmmm . . . . .  didn't mean? . . . . . . yeah, that's the ticket

fixed it

lol

Illuminator you are one funny dude. Its funny to watch you try to beat up Durango with logic when you run from logic  . . . .  and your own words . . . when they don't match up with your point of view

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #314 : February 07, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »

This is the point where the usual pro gun guys will really go off with the nonsense . .. .  .

lmao, have fun

Page: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 31
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former Tampa cop shoots man for texting during movie « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools