Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pocket passers no longer the future for QBs in NFL ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
#45 : January 26, 2014, 02:07:54 AM

Not sure where you can find the 1st down stat, but here are the top 25 in total TDs scored.

1   Peyton Manning   Denver Broncos   QB   60
2   Drew Brees   New Orleans Saints   QB   44
3   Andy Dalton   Cincinnati Bengals   QB   36
4   Philip Rivers   San Diego Chargers   QB   35
5   Andrew Luck   Indianapolis Colts   QB   34
6   Nick Foles   Philadelphia Eagles   QB   32
7   Cam Newton   Carolina Panthers   QB   31
7   Tony Romo   Dallas Cowboys   QB   31
7   Matthew Stafford   Detroit Lions   QB   31
10   Colin Kaepernick   San Francisco 49ers   QB   29
10   Ben Roethlisberger   Pittsburgh Steelers   QB   29
12   Russell Wilson   Seattle Seahawks   QB   28
12   Alex Smith   Kansas City Chiefs   QB   28
14   Tom Brady   New England Patriots   QB   27
15   Matt Ryan   Atlanta Falcons   QB   26
16   Ryan Tannehill   Miami Dolphins   QB   25
17   Carson Palmer   Arizona Cardinals   QB   24
18   Joe Flacco   Baltimore Ravens   QB   20
19   Jay Cutler   Chicago Bears   QB   19
19   Mike Glennon   Tampa Bay Buccaneers   QB   19
21   Aaron Rodgers   Green Bay Packers   QB   18
21   Geno Smith   New York Jets   QB   18
21   Eli Manning   New York Giants   QB   18
23   Ryan Fitzpatrick   Tennessee Titans   QB   17
24   Robert Griffin III   Washington Redskins   QB   16
25   Sam Bradford   St. Louis Rams   QB   14

I thought Dalton was garbage. Wasn't that the consensus on this board?

In many bassin\' circles, trolling is often considered the lowest form of fishing - Jim Porter

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#46 : January 26, 2014, 02:18:25 AM

Man...looking over stats I found a really really really ugly one. This isn't a Glennon bashing thing because it goes much deeper than just Glennon....but we were dead last in average 2nd half points scored with 5.2......wow. The next worst was Jacksonville with 6.7.

That is just amazingly bad. Only teams worse than that over the past decade were the 2006 Raiders and 2008 Bungals. 5.2......that is a really insane number when you think about it.

In 2012 we were 5th with 13.2.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#47 : January 26, 2014, 03:47:31 AM

The top 10 total yards guys rushing 1st downs -

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#48 : January 26, 2014, 09:18:01 AM

Not sure I get that chart. Newton had 45 rushing 1st downs.....so shouldn't he be on there? I'm pretty sure WIlson and Kap should be on there too. Looks like you just showed the rushing 1st downs for the top 10 guys on your other chart...but I don't really get the point in that.

What I was wanting to see is how much a running QBs feet make up for his inability to be an elite passer. For example, a guy like Kap is nowhere near the passer Brady is.....but if you look at total 1st downs gained thru the air and on the ground, as well as combined passing/rushing TDs....does a guy like Kap match the production of a guy like Brady?

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#49 : January 26, 2014, 10:50:19 AM

Not sure I get that chart. Newton had 45 rushing 1st downs.....so shouldn't he be on there? I'm pretty sure WIlson and Kap should be on there too. Looks like you just showed the rushing 1st downs for the top 10 guys on your other chart...but I don't really get the point in that.

What I was wanting to see is how much a running QBs feet make up for his inability to be an elite passer. For example, a guy like Kap is nowhere near the passer Brady is.....but if you look at total 1st downs gained thru the air and on the ground, as well as combined passing/rushing TDs....does a guy like Kap match the production of a guy like Brady?

I'll definitely get to making that. I just wanted to show what the top 10 guys as far as yards go did with their feet. I just found it kind of interesting that Dalton and Stafford had that much. Luck on the other hand no surprise. When you really look at that number that's a lot of 1st downs. NOT including passing. Back to work I go lol.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#50 : January 26, 2014, 10:52:35 AM

Man...looking over stats I found a really really really ugly one. This isn't a Glennon bashing thing because it goes much deeper than just Glennon....but we were dead last in average 2nd half points scored with 5.2......wow. The next worst was Jacksonville with 6.7.

That is just amazingly bad. Only teams worse than that over the past decade were the 2006 Raiders and 2008 Bungals. 5.2......that is a really insane number when you think about it.

In 2012 we were 5th with 13.2.

I laughed out loud. It's funny how with Morris we were a 2nd half team and with Schiano we were a 1st half team. Can you imagine if we got a coach to make us an all around team? Playoffs?!

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#51 : January 26, 2014, 11:19:17 AM

Lovie and JDub, it's nice to see an actual productive conversation going on here where folks look at things in a new way and discuss and evaluate ideas, rather than bickering based on simple emotions.  Keep it up.  Loving the info that is coming out of this one.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#52 : January 26, 2014, 11:49:09 AM

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#53 : January 26, 2014, 11:53:17 AM

Lovie and JDub, it's nice to see an actual productive conversation going on here where folks look at things in a new way and discuss and evaluate ideas, rather than bickering based on simple emotions.  Keep it up.  Loving the info that is coming out of this one.

Thanks I appreciate it :)

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#54 : January 26, 2014, 11:58:05 AM

Great graph man. Appreciate the work put in. Where do you find these stats? I've been looking for passing 1st downs and 3rd down conversions....but no luck. Is it a pay site? I'd like to look at the total 1st downs and TDs from 2012 also.

As far the actual information on this graph, I am surprised the mobile QBs are so much lower. I mean, the 49ers and Seahawks run the ball  a LOT so Wilson and Kap aren't that big of a surprise, but still....I thought some of the more mobile guys would be higher on this.

Also....Peyton Manning is ridiculous. Wow. So far ahead of the nearest competitor. Just crazy. Seahawks better hope for a lot of snow.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#55 : January 26, 2014, 12:11:48 PM

Great graph man. Appreciate the work put in. Where do you find these stats? I've been looking for passing 1st downs and 3rd down conversions....but no luck. Is it a pay site? I'd like to look at the total 1st downs and TDs from 2012 also.

As far the actual information on this graph, I am surprised the mobile QBs are so much lower. I mean, the 49ers and Seahawks run the ball  a LOT so Wilson and Kap aren't that big of a surprise, but still....I thought some of the more mobile guys would be higher on this.

Also....Peyton Manning is ridiculous. Wow. So far ahead of the nearest competitor. Just crazy. Seahawks better hope for a lot of snow.

Yeah I was going to work on total touchdowns next. The site is : http://www.sportingcharts.com/ As far as the way I'm making those graphs it's not from that website. So I am manually inputting that stuff. Now the website has A LOT of stats and I mean a lot. Sadly though it doesn't have the amount of defenses stats that I would like. Like how many times a corner was thrown at, how many catches they gave up, how many yards, etc. etc. They have a lot of sortable stats from 1990-2013. Problem is a lot of the more in-depth stats you have to go to a players page from there select a stat and then start entering players names in the compare bar. So as far as the total 1st down numbers it took a little bit. Because I had to see how many each had on each category then add them up myself.

Yeah I don't think we should give too much emphasis on the 1st downs. I was a little surprised myself to be honest. Then again teams don't always throw for a 1st down. Yes I was like wow when I saw just how many Peyton had. Good thing for Seattle the game is in New Jersey.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#56 : January 27, 2014, 05:35:02 PM

3rd down stats -

Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/lAE5Hpb.png

Download Excel file here: https://www.mediafire.com/?2zumducvd5kb6rd
: January 27, 2014, 06:05:45 PM Lovie My Bucs

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#57 : January 27, 2014, 07:30:42 PM

Yikes. Knew it was bad, but damn. Converting just 35% of your 3rd downs does make it pretty impossible to win.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#58 : January 27, 2014, 07:33:05 PM

Yikes. Knew it was bad, but damn. Converting just 35% of your 3rd downs does make it pretty impossible to win.

Cam Newton and Andrew Luck were the only mobile QB's that stood out to me. I have to check again, but I believe Newton led both QB's and RB's with the most 3rd down conversion runs. 33.33% of Glennon's 3rd downs were 3rd and 10+
: January 27, 2014, 07:35:46 PM Lovie My Bucs

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#59 : January 27, 2014, 07:37:32 PM

I actually might add statistics like that to the chart as well.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pocket passers no longer the future for QBs in NFL ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools