Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pocket passers no longer the future for QBs in NFL ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 22, 2014, 09:37:41 AM

Pocket passers are the future but most of them can also run if they need to.

This.

Being able to pass the ball from the pocket and make lighting quick decisions and accurate throws will always be the #1 attribute of an ideal NFL QB....but in today's world, quarterbacks are coming out of college as great athletes as well. As they should. Guys like Luck and Rodgers are the next generation of quarterbacks because they have the ability to play from the pocket as well as anyone, but unlike the old timers like Peyton and Brady...they can also make things happen with their athleticism.

This outdated idea that a QB that can run is somehow less of a QB, is on it's way out. People are slowly realizing that top QB prospects should be expected to have great athleticism. I doubt we will see anymore non athletic statues go #1 overall no matter how good of a passer they are, because the simple truth is....no mobility is an unnecessary weakness.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 22, 2014, 09:39:36 AM

AFCCG was as boring as it gets.  NFCCG was a great football game.  That's entertainment.

So very tired of Manning and Brady taking what the rules give them...

My logo is bigger than your logo

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 22, 2014, 09:45:18 AM

1   Peyton Manning
2   Drew Brees
3   Matthew Stafford
4   Matt Ryan    
5   Philip Rivers
6   Tom Brady
7   Andy Dalton
8   Carson Palmer
9   Ben Roethlisberger
10   Ryan Tannehill

Top 10 QB's in passing yards this year. None of them are really any threat as far as running with the ball.

1   Nick Foles
2   Peyton Manning
3   Josh McCown
4   Philip Rivers
5   Aaron Rodgers
6   Drew Brees
7   Russell Wilson
8   Tony Romo
9   Ben Roethlisberger
10   Colin Kaepernick

These are the top 10 as far as QB rating goes.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 22, 2014, 10:03:29 AM

Mark Sanchez - QB - Jets

An unnamed coach told the New York Post that Mark Sanchez "would be a starter as soon as he walked in the door for us."
The coach of this quarterback-needy team said his organization has already internally discussed adding Sanchez in anticipation of the Jets releasing the former No. 5 overall pick. Yes, somebody still thinks highly of a quarterback coming off labrum surgery on his throwing shoulder and 52 turnovers between 2011-12. Some possibilities include the Raiders, Jaguars, Vikings and Texans -- each of which are expected to draft a quarterback in May. Perhaps the 27-year-old Sanchez will be seen as a bridge guy for a rookie. The top quarterback free agents available right now are Michael Vick, Josh McCown, Josh Freeman, Shaun Hill and Chad Henne.
Source: New York Post

My logo is bigger than your logo

Bootz2004

Starter

#19 : January 22, 2014, 10:32:56 AM

Pocket passers are not a thing of the past. Statues are. The only statues left in the NFL are Peyton Manning,  Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, and maybe Phillip Rivers although this year he ran more than I remember. Even still Rivers is the youngest of that group at age 32. Brees, Rodgers, Luck, Big Ben....they are pocket passers but they aren't statues. They can make plays with their athletic ability. There are 4 SB rings and 5 appearances between them. So let's stop this notion that a mobile QB has never won a SB...

Steve Young. Brett Favre. John Elway. All mobile QBs FROM THE PAST that have rings.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 22, 2014, 11:09:52 AM

I've been hearing this for a dozen years now.  A pocket QB won last year and I'm guessing one is going to win this year.

Agreed 100%. The NFL tries to force scrambling QBs down my throat on a daily basis. Yet it seems as though the two most dominate QBs in the NFL are still pocket passers. And it always seems as though they are the ones winning the super bowls.

The argument the author wants to make is that once the dinosaurs of Brees, manning and Brady pass the scene who are the pocket passers to ascend to their throne?  He tries to say Rodgers is mobile and Luck is mobile so they aren't pocket passers but the reality is neither guys really runs by design often and their real threat is from the pocket.  People forget that most younger QBs aren't statues. Aikman didn't run much, but he wasn't a stiff, he was recruited to an option offense in college before he transferred. Brady and Manning both did more rollouts when they were younger than they do now.

Good post

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 22, 2014, 11:22:46 AM

Yeah I think Rodgers and Luck are both pocket passers of the future.

Both have great pocket presence are smart and have cannons.

Who are the pocket passers today?  Romo Stafford Dalton Freeman Rivers Eli Ben.....oh yeah the Twig Cannon is a pocket passer.
They are not exactly lighting it up.

Pocket passer = immobile. In order for a pocket passer to succeed in the NFL he needs to be elite. Smart, quick release, great system and great supporting cast. That is why the pocket passer in the old sense is dead. The game has evolved.

Luck has a cannon? HAHAHAHA.

Yes...yes he does. Incredible arm strength.

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 22, 2014, 11:26:46 AM

You know who else had a cannon? Jamarcus Russell.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 22, 2014, 11:29:44 AM

Yeah I think Rodgers and Luck are both pocket passers of the future.

Both have great pocket presence are smart and have cannons.

Who are the pocket passers today?  Romo Stafford Dalton Freeman Rivers Eli Ben.....oh yeah the Twig Cannon is a pocket passer.
They are not exactly lighting it up.

Pocket passer = immobile. In order for a pocket passer to succeed in the NFL he needs to be elite. Smart, quick release, great system and great supporting cast. That is why the pocket passer in the old sense is dead. The game has evolved.

Luck has a cannon? HAHAHAHA.

Yes...yes he does. Incredible arm strength.

Luck does not have a cannon arm.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 22, 2014, 04:02:42 PM

1   Peyton Manning
2   Drew Brees
3   Matthew Stafford
4   Matt Ryan    
5   Philip Rivers
6   Tom Brady
7   Andy Dalton
8   Carson Palmer
9   Ben Roethlisberger
10   Ryan Tannehill

Top 10 QB's in passing yards this year. None of them are really any threat as far as running with the ball.

Actually Tannehill, Brees, and Rapistberger are quite mobile. Being mobile doesn't have to mean taking off and running. Still, if you are gonna make a list like this, seems like you should include total yards including rushing. By not including rushing yards and rushing TDs, you are already creating a bias towards mobile QBs.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 22, 2014, 04:05:37 PM

1   Peyton Manning
2   Drew Brees
3   Matthew Stafford
4   Matt Ryan    
5   Philip Rivers
6   Tom Brady
7   Andy Dalton
8   Carson Palmer
9   Ben Roethlisberger
10   Ryan Tannehill

Actually Tannehill, Brees, and Rapistberger are quite mobile. Being mobile doesn't have to mean taking off and running. Still, if you are gonna make a list like this, seems like you should include total yards including rushing. By not including rushing yards and rushing TDs, you are already creating a bias towards mobile QBs.

Bias? How about the fact you semi quoted me. That shows bias more than anything. I posted the top 10 QBs by passer yards and by QB rating. Nothing bias about my post. Those are facts. So not sure how you even think I'm being bias. Makes no sense.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 22, 2014, 04:08:43 PM

I guess Peyton didn't get that memo...  ;D

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 22, 2014, 04:08:44 PM

I'm saying if your intent is to show the top 10 QBs by how well they performed their job, I think you have to include yardage, TDs, and 1st downs gained with their feet. I wasn't accusing you of anything, I'm just saying that a top 10 that only shows passing yards is kinda pointless when discussing mobile QBs.

Also, the QB rating doesn't include rushing yards, rushing TDs or rushing 1st downs in it's equation. So it is kinda useless too.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 22, 2014, 04:14:02 PM

I'm saying if your intent is to show the top 10 QBs by how well they performed their job, I think you have to include yardage, TDs, and 1st downs gained with their feet. I wasn't accusing you of anything, I'm just saying that a top 10 that only shows passing yards is kinda pointless when discussing mobile QBs.

Also, the QB rating doesn't include rushing yards, rushing TDs or rushing 1st downs in it's equation. So it is kinda useless too.

But I said none of those guys are really a threat to run. Doesn't mean that can't run. Teams just don't really gameplan around those QB's legs. Sure Tannehill and Roethlisberger are mobile, but they aren't a big threat with their legs. Tannehill is the biggest threat as far as that first top 10 go. That's not a threat level of guys like Kaepernick, Wilson, etc. etc.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 22, 2014, 05:34:57 PM

If Seattle had a pocket passer they would have won 8 games or so this year. They are in the Superbowl.

Traditionally I always have preferred a pure pocket passer but the game has changed. QBs have less time to throw the ball.

Funny thing is, Jon Gruden always wanted this type of QB. A guy who can set up and pass out of the pocket but can also tuck the ball and get you a critical first down with his legs if need be.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pocket passers no longer the future for QBs in NFL ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools