Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Lovie and Licht blow this team up? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17

youngone

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 23, 2014, 11:28:15 AM

Here are the guys that I think should definitely be on our roster next year, either because they are keepers, are cheap with too much potential, or because their contract dictates it.

Jonathan Banks
Mark Barron
Conner Barth
Adrian Clayborn
Lavonte David
Demar Dotson
Mason Foster
Dashon Goldson
Doug Martin
Gerald McCoy
Lonnie Pryor
Bobby Rainey
Akeem Spence
Mike Williams
Williams Gholston
Tim Wright

I count 16 guys. I'm sure you could argue for 4 more cheap potential guys, so let's say 20. That means there are 32 spots that could/should be open to change.

Mike James..

We need some players at premium positions like DE, QB, and OL. We could revamp the bottom half of the roster without blowing it all up and be a way better team.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 23, 2014, 11:30:05 AM

Well even if you keep most of your starters and just replace the bottom half of your roster.....isn't that still blowing it up? I mean, if you are changing out over half your roster, then to me you are blowing it up.

People that say we are a player or two away from greatness are clueless about the importance of depth. You think a new HC would swap out 25+players if they took over the Seahawks or 49ers or Packers? Hell no....cause they are great teams with deep rosters. We might be a few players away from having a solid starting line-up....but we are very far away from having a deep solid roster that is going deep into the playoffs.
: January 23, 2014, 11:41:17 AM JDouble

Bootz2004

Starter

#32 : January 23, 2014, 11:30:35 AM

Speaking of coaching I remember 2 years ago when Schiano and staff were hired how everyone said it feels good to finally have "real coaches".............now those same people are complaining saying the players are not the problem but it was the lousy coaching....

youngone

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 23, 2014, 11:32:52 AM

IMO... The Bucs are a collection of players, not a team.
Craptastic coaching would make it look that way.

good point, some of the same people that were pissing and moaning about the coaching and the "schemes" are now screaming that we do not have enough talent or at least enough "cohesive" talent
Now it's wanting shiny new toys.

Horrible Coaching had this team looking like they didn't know they were lions, tigers, bears, or guppies. I could see if Schiano got every bit from all the players and we only won 4 games, then blow it up but he didn't even get close to that.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#34 : January 23, 2014, 11:35:16 AM

There's no such thing as five year plan anymore. It's two years and then you better start winning in year three.

Frankly, I think the Bucs can have a Kansas City Chiefs styled turnaround. I'm not against dismantling and rebuilding the offensive line and adding speed at receiver. I think we need to clean up the bad picks and dead weight on the defensive line, too. Finally, decide on the quarterback. Either Glennon is the guy you're rolling with or you need to make a move in the draft or trade.

Can all this be done in one off-season? Probably not. But its not like the cupboard is bear here either. And who knows what improvement will come just from having a competent coaching staff?

youngone

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 23, 2014, 11:35:37 AM

Well even if you keep most of your starters and just replace the bottom half of your roster.....isn't that still blowing it up? I mean, if you are changing out over half your roster, then to me you are blowing it up.
I don't want to argue about what the correct word would be but that's what I think we should do.

Add pieces and players to go along with the top talent.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 23, 2014, 11:40:17 AM

There's no such thing as five year plan anymore. It's two years and then you better start winning in year three.

Frankly, I think the Bucs can have a Kansas City Chiefs styled turnaround. I'm not against dismantling and rebuilding the offensive line and adding speed at receiver. I think we need to clean up the bad picks and dead weight on the defensive line, too. Finally, decide on the quarterback. Either Glennon is the guy you're rolling with or you need to make a move in the draft or trade.

Can all this be done in one off-season? Probably not. But its not like the cupboard is bear here either. And who knows what improvement will come just from having a competent coaching staff?

Going by memory here, but I think the Chiefs added 21 guys under Reid/Dorsey. It just shows how much change occurs even with a talented core.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 23, 2014, 11:44:07 AM

No, that is building quality depth and adding the players you need to get deep into the playoffs.   Blowing it up implies starting all over again and I don't think that is necessary.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 23, 2014, 11:46:37 AM

Going by memory here, but I think the Chiefs added 21 guys under Reid/Dorsey. It just shows how much change occurs even with a talented core.

So nearly half the roster and a big time trade for a new QB. Plus they cut their starting LT and signed some big FAs like Sean Smith. They kept their very talented core, but to me that was "blowing up" the roster.
: January 23, 2014, 11:51:51 AM JDouble

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 23, 2014, 11:47:47 AM

No, this roster is already pretty talented.

McCoy, David and Revis are all cornerstones of a defense. Foster, Spence, Clayborn and Barron are all solid contributors and are young. No reason to get rid of them. We could make a few tweaks to the defense and upgrade at a few positions (pass rush mainly), but overall I think we are very good with the D. I am concerned about Goldson because he was awful last year and if he plays like that again, there is no way you can justify his contract. However, I'll give him a pass for last year because he was playing in Schiano's D. I'm sure he'll play better under Lovie, but if he doesn't he needs to go.

The offense has a lot more work that needs to be done. I like MW and V-Jax, but after that our receivers are trash. We seriously need to add a slot guy and get some better depth. Wright was solid for us last year, if he can keep it up and bulk up a bit to improve his blocking, I am fine with him being our TE. Like our trio of RB's. Glennon is definitely worth keeping around for next year but I want competition for him. Our o-line could use an overhaul. Other than Dotson and Zuttah, I would be fine with getting rid of the rest the line and that would save us a lot of money.

Also, Koenan needs to either restructure or get cut.

HolyBuc

Starter
#40 : January 23, 2014, 11:58:34 AM

Cutting Carl Nicks only saves $2.3M off the cap his base salary this year is guaranteed for injury.  Can't see it happening unless he is completely unable to play at all.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 23, 2014, 12:01:08 PM

Licht appears to be much more of a "tough guy" than Dominik. I'd say he's got the brass to do it, which I doubt Dominik would...

Totally agree the O'line is gonna get some serious scrutiny.

With that said, I wonder if he's got sole authority over Lovie to do it?

Dominik had the brass to do it once when he took over

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 23, 2014, 12:03:24 PM

Nuke it like it's MRSA...

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

Sactobuc

Starter

#43 : January 23, 2014, 12:13:39 PM

Yeah, ditch all the old overpaid fatso's and get some "youngry" men....LOL

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"They thought it was the end of the world, The day they heard the pirates sing-But the only treasure for a Buccaneer, Is a Super Bowl Ring\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Madman

Hall of Famer
#44 : January 23, 2014, 12:14:43 PM

No, this roster is already pretty talented.

McCoy, David and Revis are all cornerstones of a defense. Foster, Spence, Clayborn and Barron are all solid contributors and are young. No reason to get rid of them. We could make a few tweaks to the defense and upgrade at a few positions (pass rush mainly), but overall I think we are very good with the D. I am concerned about Goldson because he was awful last year and if he plays like that again, there is no way you can justify his contract. However, I'll give him a pass for last year because he was playing in Schiano's D. I'm sure he'll play better under Lovie, but if he doesn't he needs to go.

The offense has a lot more work that needs to be done. I like MW and V-Jax, but after that our receivers are trash. We seriously need to add a slot guy and get some better depth. Wright was solid for us last year, if he can keep it up and bulk up a bit to improve his blocking, I am fine with him being our TE. Like our trio of RB's. Glennon is definitely worth keeping around for next year but I want competition for him. Our o-line could use an overhaul. Other than Dotson and Zuttah, I would be fine with getting rid of the rest the line and that would save us a lot of money.

Also, Koenan needs to either restructure or get cut.

+1

Good coaching will show this team is not that far away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Lovie and Licht blow this team up? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools