Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Five Teams Who Might Surprise By Disregarding Need And Drafting Another Position « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#45 : January 26, 2014, 08:34:51 AM

Gametime does have a point that the "competition" thing seems to be a load of crap under most regimes.

Coaches talk a big game about open competition , but then you go to the practice and their guy ( the one they drafted or spent good money on in FA ) is getting all the reps. Lol . Seems to be a farce , usually.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#46 : January 26, 2014, 10:42:48 AM

I don't buy into the idea of competition at the quarterback position. I have never once seen it work. If a QB needs competition, he most likely isn't the guy. When coaches say the QB needs competition, it means they aren't happy with him and are looking to replace him....but until they find the right guy to replace him with.....they are just "bringing in competition" Kinda how Glennon was just competition for Freeman. I honestly don't know a single instance of where bringing in competition ended with the incumbent QB playing better.

Glennon will either play better this year and prove the doubters wrong, or he won't.....but it will have zero to do with what competition is brought in. Right now the coaching staff is not sold though, or they would not be talking about competition. If they truly believed in him, they would show 100% confidence and say he is our guy moving forward and that's it. If he doesn't work out then you look for a new QB in 2015.....but you don't start talking about competition for your QB if your are sold on him as your starter.

Draft Aaron Donald

jjbill01

Rookie
#47 : January 26, 2014, 12:40:14 PM

JDUB     Great post    +1

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#48 : January 26, 2014, 05:13:49 PM

I don't buy into the idea of competition at the quarterback position. I have never once seen it work. If a QB needs competition, he most likely isn't the guy. When coaches say the QB needs competition, it means they aren't happy with him and are looking to replace him....but until they find the right guy to replace him with.....they are just "bringing in competition" Kinda how Glennon was just competition for Freeman. I honestly don't know a single instance of where bringing in competition ended with the incumbent QB playing better.

Glennon will either play better this year and prove the doubters wrong, or he won't.....but it will have zero to do with what competition is brought in. Right now the coaching staff is not sold though, or they would not be talking about competition. If they truly believed in him, they would show 100% confidence and say he is our guy moving forward and that's it. If he doesn't work out then you look for a new QB in 2015.....but you don't start talking about competition for your QB if your are sold on him as your starter.

Steve Young / Joe Montana ?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#49 : January 26, 2014, 07:35:36 PM

Montana didn't suck and Young wasn't brought in to compete or "push him". Young was brought in to be the back up and he was for 3 years until joe got hurt. Young played so well while Montana was hurt that the 49ers eventually decided to trade an old washed up Joe Montana and start Steve Young. So that was most definitely not a case of the incumbent QB playing better due to competition. It was a case of the incumbent getting old and frail and being replaced by the over achieving back up.

Draft Aaron Donald

gone

Hall of Famer
#50 : January 26, 2014, 10:41:14 PM

The only time "competition" for a QB makes sense is when the problem with the QB is that he's a lazy entitled pill popping POS.  And even then it can backfire, as we all saw.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#51 : January 27, 2014, 12:13:56 AM

The reason competition never works at the QB position is because if a guy is a legit franchise QB....he doesn't need to be pushed. Franchise quarterbacks have natural leadership and fire in their belly that can't be denied. They are gonna be the hardest and most dedicated guy on your roster. If your guy needs to be motivated by competition....then you are wasting your time on a loser. Freeman is exhibit A but there are many examples.

If your guy is dedicated and hard working, but not talented enough....competition won't make him more talented either.

It just doesn't work. Everytime I hear a GM or HC talk about competition at the quarterback position I cringe. Especially when it's a Bucs GM or HC.
: January 27, 2014, 12:16:07 AM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#52 : January 27, 2014, 06:45:38 AM

If your guy is dedicated and hard working, but not talented enough....competition won't make him more talented either. .
this is why i dont want a 2nd or 3rd round qb.  it wont improve glennon.  it wont develop the drafted qb becausee glennon is getting all th reps.

if lovie-licht see a guy they think is the next elway then great, grab him.  but we already have a project at qb, why get 2?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#53 : January 27, 2014, 06:54:41 AM

I think "insurance" for the starting QB is a better term "competition".  If the 1st guy crashes and burns , you want a backup plan.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#54 : January 27, 2014, 07:58:10 AM

Maybe, but filling your roster with 2 or 3 back up plans, doesn't equal one starter. We can sign McCown, draft Carr, and keep Glennon.....still don't have a legit QB. Just a bunch of back up plans.

Draft Aaron Donald

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#55 : January 27, 2014, 08:06:52 AM

Maybe, but filling your roster with 2 or 3 back up plans, doesn't equal one starter. We can sign McCown, draft Carr, and keep Glennon.....still don't have a legit QB. Just a bunch of back up plans.

You don't know that for a fact. Any of those 3 are not hopeless causes like a Dan Orlovsky .

Glennon showed to be suprsingly competent and could get better in year 2.

McCown balled out in relief of Cutler last year.

Carr is talented but a complete unknown. He could turn into Joe Montana for all we know .

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#56 : January 27, 2014, 08:10:44 AM

Mostly agree. Competition is bogus, especially at QB. That guy either is or isn't a self starter. If he's not, then he's not your man.

I'm not sure how not sold they are. They are speaking in platitudes more than facts. The few times it seems the mask has dropped I get the vibe they actually like him and we are all wasting our time arguing about QB's.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#57 : January 27, 2014, 08:24:08 AM

It sounded to me like Licht really did like Glennon ....he's the only one who actually already knows and could speak with an informed opinion because he scouted him.

I don't know Licht very well yet , though , so he could have been BS'ing.
: January 27, 2014, 08:29:12 AM Dolorous Jason

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#58 : January 27, 2014, 08:29:30 AM

If he liked him so much, the Cardinals probably would have drafted him last year. They did have three chances to take him.....but decided to roll with 34 year old Carson Palmer and Ryan Lindley.

Draft Aaron Donald

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#59 : January 27, 2014, 08:34:54 AM

They traded for Carson ....that was the guy they were rolling with.

He did pretty damn well for them too. 4,200 yards and 24 TD's. 63.3 comp %

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Five Teams Who Might Surprise By Disregarding Need And Drafting Another Position « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools