Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should The Bucs Make A run at Greg Hardy? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Bootz2004

Starter

#30 : February 09, 2014, 10:48:36 PM

Nice player and still young.  But he will most likely want to go to a contender.  And he will sign somewhere for huge money.  I think the money he will cost, could be put to better use, by signing 2 free agents.

Contenders rarely go after top free agents. They are already contenders. They don't need to.

And players getting old is a reason they would use free agency.

Perennial contenders have young players waiting in the wings to replace older players.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#31 : February 09, 2014, 11:01:49 PM

Please no.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 09, 2014, 11:08:39 PM

Good coaches cure a lot of troubles.

With that said, perennial contenders usually have those. They make lemonade from lemons and can make backups better.

A good example of that is, I think, cassel, who took the pats to playoffs, but once he didn't have bb and co, he was done. In some instances, I would be scared of signing players who have top coaches, because once you do sign them, YOU better have a great staff too, or the whole thing could fail.

Which is why I'm not too frightened on giving hardy or Allen a shot here in tampa. Either will ball independently, with or without a great staff.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 09, 2014, 11:32:16 PM

We will know what the Panthers think of Hardy, if they don't sign him buyer beware.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#34 : February 09, 2014, 11:43:33 PM

If you can get it done for less then 8 mil per season absolutely.  He has to be the #1 choice.  He is a good player and has a very good motor.  Plus indications are money is going to be the deciding factor for him (not that there is anything at all wrong with that).  So I really doubt that is going to be possible.  I don't think he's elite.  Would not pay elite money. 

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 10, 2014, 01:39:22 AM

We will know what the Panthers think of Hardy, if they don't sign him buyer beware.

And it will be the same staff that the panthers fans themselves wanted to get canned.

And besides that, they might be in a hell of a cap situation if he asks for huge money and they actually sign him. For them, it's letting go of one talented player or another. They even will have to worry about cam in the near future.

He would get excellent defensive coaching here, and having mccoy on the line with him will definitely help.

I say we trade clayborn, and sign both hardy and allen, but that might be too madden like.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#36 : February 10, 2014, 02:08:10 AM

Averages 6 sacks a year in non-contract years, told the Panthers to give him a "crapload of money". I've seen this movie before.

So you havent seen the movie where the guy improves his play and numbers each year he's been in the league?
That isn't the scary part, it's the pay me type comments.
Be a professional, work your butt off, get that contract.
When you start throwing out "crapload of money" type comments it opens up a can of worms.

He wants to get paid. Can you blame him? Just because he's not being politically correct by American standards(I guess) doesn't mean that his comments will "open a can of worms".
NEWSFLASH
Everybody wants to get paid, the only ones that openly state it like that are the ones where it's the main reason for playing the game, when that happens you have to seriously question how much effort you will get out of them when they get a big deal.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#37 : February 10, 2014, 02:14:59 AM

We really should because of the massive need we have at that position but on the other hand we shouldn't because we really can't afford to be giving out yet another massive contract if we want a good overall team.
IF we were "one player away from the Super Bowl" and loading up I'd say go for it but we're about 10 players away from being a solid, consistent wild card contender.

We're definitely not 10 players away from being a wild card contender. If that was the case, then who knows if Schiano and staff were really all that bad, if we were really 10 people away from a wild card spot. Id say we are a pass rusher, WR, and Olineman away from being a playoff team.. We already fixed the entire coaching staff which was a bigger upgrade then the draft and free agency combined.
You sound a lot like the idiot gM that got shown the door.
The starters may not be 10 players away but the TEAM is.
Real lasting contenders, which is what I said, also have depth because there are these things called injuries that happen.
It's getting laughable how many look only at the starters and proclaim that the entire team is almost ready.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 10, 2014, 02:20:03 AM

With that said, perennial contenders usually have those. They make lemonade from lemons and can make backups better.

A good example of that is, I think, cassel, who took the pats to playoffs, but once he didn't have bb and co, he was done. In some instances, I would be scared of signing players who have top coaches, because once you do sign them, YOU better have a great staff too, or the whole thing could fail.

Which is why I'm not too frightened on giving hardy or Allen a shot here in tampa. Either will ball independently, with or without a great staff.
Cassell is actually an awful example.
The Pats didn't make the playoffs the year he played BUT the Chiefs did when he left BB and joined them.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 10, 2014, 09:49:58 AM

Please no.

That's a pretty strong statement.  He's young, talented, and a great fit for what we need.  Especially since he plays on the left so we don't have to mess with Clayborn's other arm.  What's your concern?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : February 10, 2014, 01:40:37 PM

I would rather not tie up that type of money in a LE.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 10, 2014, 01:45:09 PM

The Pats didn't make the playoffs the year he played BUT the Chiefs did when he left BB and joined them.

Didn't he go one game into playoffs with the pats?

I know the pats fans were ecstatic about him coming in and replacing brady fairly well.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 10, 2014, 02:20:39 PM

And it will be the same staff that the panthers fans themselves wanted to get canned.

And besides that, they might be in a hell of a cap situation if he asks for huge money and they actually sign him. For them, it's letting go of one talented player or another. They even will have to worry about cam in the near future.

He would get excellent defensive coaching here, and having mccoy on the line with him will definitely help.

I say we trade clayborn, and sign both hardy and allen, but that might be too madden like.
The fans want the staff fired... do they have that authority at Carolina?

He is looking to get paid based upon what he has done and will do... and the Panthers' staff that the fans can fire will put the label on Hardy, not the fans.

Madden-like for certain

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#43 : February 10, 2014, 04:18:23 PM

Didn't he go one game into playoffs with the pats?

I know the pats fans were ecstatic about him coming in and replacing brady fairly well.
Nope, it's the only time they missed the playoffs in the last 11 years BUT they did win 11 games.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 10, 2014, 10:06:48 PM

Please no.

That's a pretty strong statement.  He's young, talented, and a great fit for what we need.  Especially since he plays on the left so we don't have to mess with Clayborn's other arm.  What's your concern?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should The Bucs Make A run at Greg Hardy? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools