Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lovie Meets with Season Ticket Holders « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 07, 2014, 03:28:29 AM

Coach Lovie Smith Meets with Season Ticket Holders

By JCDeLaTorre@jcdelatorre 

Mar 7 2014, 12:01 am

Coach talks with the Season Ticket Holders - JC De La Torre, BucsNation

Tampa Bay's new head coach Lovie Smith met a supportive group of Season Ticket Holders at a meet and greet.

Last year Greg Schiano made the mistake of telling season ticket holders that the team was a laughing stock under the previous regime. Head Coach Lovie Smith made no such blunders tonight in a meet and greet at One Buc Palace.

Smith was roundly applauded, spent 20 minutes taking questions from the crowd and then posed for pictures afterward.

The fans of course would ask silly questions like "Who are you targeting in the draft?" to which Lovie got a chuckle from the crowd when he replied, "So let me see if I understand the question - you'd like me to tell you exactly who we're drafting?"

Smith stayed true to his mantra of building a strong defense and his offense being run oriented and Mike Glennon doing well but has things he needs to improve on.

He was asked about Devin Hester and while not giving a direct answer about whether he was interested in the former Bears returner, Smith said, "I've seen every touchdown Devin Hester has scored in the NFL." and went on to compliment him as a dynamic player.

One fan asked, "How will you tool your offense to compete in the high octane NFC South?" The coach reiterated his mantra of a running game on offense but then added, "I'll take our defense against any offense in the division."

Smith also went on to describe the defense as "The one of Warren Sapp. Of Derrick Brooks. Of the Super Bowl champion Bucs of the past."

He was of course asked about Revis, to which he answered, "When people hear Tampa Two they believe we'll be in a cover two shell all the time. That's not what we do. We'll play a lot of Man. A lot of other coverages. When its an obvious passing situation, Cover Two is our primary go to alignment but it won't be that exclusively. We have a need  for all types of good corners and Darrelle is one."

Lovie was asked if after evaluating the tape if the Bucs were better than a 4-12 team. He replied, "Jon Gruden...and I think a few other people have said you are what your record says you are. This was a 4-12 team for a reason. Now, we have some building blocks - some talented players to build around. But no, this team was a 4-12 team and we have work to do."

A fan asked if the Bucs were going to go back to running the ball with power like the Mike Alstott days. Smith was complimentary of Alstott, saying there weren't many out there like him but yes, they were going to run the ball.

Smith also added he wanted speed at every position - even offensive tackle.

Smith wrapped up his Q&A with this: "You have four crucial phases to become relevant in the NFL. First is defense. You have to have a solid defense in the league if you want to compete for championships. Second is special teams, we'll win many games this season with our special teams play. Third is offense, we can have a productive offense with a strong running game and the ability to take shots outside. The final piece is you - the fans. You are really part of the defense. You have to cheer loudly when we're on defense and be as quiet as you can when we're on offense. If you're there, you can make the difference. I know a lot of you have already renewed your season tickets and thats great. We need you. For those of you who haven't yet....get on the train. We're going to make it worth it. We know we haven't been fulling our end on the football field but that will change. "

The Bucs didn't have the new jerseys on display but had a video montage of the pictures already released on the team website. They did have the helmet, I got a good look at it up close. Folks, it's really nice.

Smith was funny, cordial and down to earth. He shook hands, took pictures and had a lot of happy fans leaving One Buc. Toward the end of the night, the TAMPA....BAY....chant ringed loudly through the front hallways.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/3/7/5480192/coach-lovie-smith-meets-with-season-ticket-holders

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#1 : March 07, 2014, 05:24:26 AM

Now that's a football coach

S.A.N.T.A.N.A.

Starter

#2 : March 07, 2014, 05:28:44 AM

Somebody should have asked him why Koenen is still on the roster.

Anubis

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 07, 2014, 06:51:57 AM

Somebody should have asked him why Koenen is still on the roster.

That was your job. Why didn't you do it?

bucs63

Starter

#4 : March 07, 2014, 07:02:24 AM

"Last year Greg Schiano made the mistake of telling season ticket holders that the team was a laughing stock under the previous regime. Head Coach Lovie Smith made no such blunders tonight in a meet and greet at One Buc Palace."

Yeah, it's rather unprofessional to tell highly invested people things that they should already know.
: March 07, 2014, 07:04:06 AM bucs63

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 07, 2014, 07:34:40 AM

Must've been for the club seaters , they didn't invite my lowly 300 level ass to this gathering , lol.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 07, 2014, 08:17:56 AM

Love this response:

"I'll take our defense against any offense in the division."

sure to drive some to distraction . . even with the Seahawks crushing the vaunted Broncos offense

Many on this board will use this comment against Lovie:

"Smith wrapped up his Q&A with this: "You have four crucial phases to become relevant in the NFL. First is defense. You have to have a solid defense in the league if you want to compete for championships. Second is special teams, we'll win many games this season with our special teams play. Third is offense, we can have a productive offense with a strong running game and the ability to take shots outside. The final piece is you - the fans. You are really part of the defense. You have to cheer loudly when we're on defense and be as quiet as you can when we're on offense. If you're there, you can make the difference. I know a lot of you have already renewed your season tickets and thats great. We need you. For those of you who haven't yet....get on the train. We're going to make it worth it. We know we haven't been fulling our end on the football field but that will change. "

we'll hear variations of "ugh . .  see . .  he has offense as the last priority"
: March 07, 2014, 08:21:31 AM VinBucFan

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 07, 2014, 08:21:54 AM

Love this response:

sure to drive some to distraction . . even with the Seahawks crushing the vaunted Broncos offense

That is the I didn't learn anything statement that scares the heck out of people because he's wrong.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 07, 2014, 08:24:53 AM

Love this response:

"Smith wrapped up his Q&A with this: "You have four crucial phases to become relevant in the NFL. First is defense. You have to have a solid defense in the league if you want to compete for championships. Second is special teams, we'll win many games this season with our special teams play. Third is offense, we can have a productive offense with a strong running game and the ability to take shots outside. The final piece is you - the fans. You are really part of the defense. You have to cheer loudly when we're on defense and be as quiet as you can when we're on offense. If you're there, you can make the difference. I know a lot of you have already renewed your season tickets and thats great. We need you. For those of you who haven't yet....get on the train. We're going to make it worth it. We know we haven't been fulling our end on the football field but that will change. "

we'll hear variations of "ugh . .  see . .  he has offense as the last priority"

You say ugh because defense doesn't win championships. That is dead easy to disprove. Teams with defense have won championships but teams wearing blue have won championships as well. Correlation <> causation. Teams, please don't even get me started how borderline retarded it is to say teams matter in this league. Again, I'm sure some SB teams had good teams but there is no tie between doing that well and winning. I think the idea of running and using a high variation passing attack has been disproven so many times it doesn't even need to discussed.

Yeah, that discussion is bad and it would be safe to characterize it as grossly ignorant.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 07, 2014, 08:26:21 AM

Cover TWO SHELL?

Who would have thought 449?

Horses mouth.

😉

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 07, 2014, 08:27:47 AM

Love this response:

You say ugh because defense doesn't win championships. That is dead easy to disprove. Teams with defense have won championships but teams wearing blue have won championships as well. Correlation <> causation. Teams, please don't even get me started how borderline retarded it is to say teams matter in this league. Again, I'm sure some SB teams had good teams but there is no tie between doing that well and winning. I think the idea of running and using a high variation passing attack has been disproven so many times it doesn't even need to discussed.

Yeah, that discussion is bad and it would be safe to characterize it as grossly ignorant.

right on cue

we watched different Super Bowls, I guess . .  . or maybe the Seahawks won because they wear blue  :D

implied in my comment was that people would take anything Lovie says to an extreme, so in this instance he was ONLY defense and INCOMPETENT offense

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 07, 2014, 08:29:18 AM

Have said that the second they hired Lovie.

His offense is always an afterthought. He said he is a better coach and has learned. The words seem the same.

Let's see what he gives us.

If it is a team that struggles to put up 17 a game, he won't last long, IMO.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 07, 2014, 08:30:35 AM

+1

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#13 : March 07, 2014, 08:33:29 AM

Have said that the second they hired Lovie.

His offense is always an afterthought. He said he is a better coach and has learned. The words seem the same.

As long as the other team only puts up 16 I'll take it 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 07, 2014, 08:34:51 AM

Love this response:

right on cue

we watched different Super Bowls, I guess . .  . or maybe the Seahawks won because they wear blue  :D

implied in my comment was that people would take anything Lovie says to an extreme, so in this instance he was ONLY defense and INCOMPETENT offense

Seahawks played strong defense, yes. They were a historically good defense in fact. Planning for that is a mistake. Plus, again, I didn't say you can't win playing good defense but you can't win playing bad offense. Give me two teams: Great offense, bad defense, bad team and bad offense, great teams and great defense and you are goona be looking at the former being a playoff team anhd the latter drafting in the top 10. Defense becomes a factor only after offense has created a baseline.

Fact of the matter is I think he really believes in that stupid - plenty of people (looking at you) do as well. Thing is what he has done hiring Tedford says that his faith in his dying gods has been shaken and he knows reality doesn't allow the flat earth approach the football anymore. I don't care what he wants to be, I care what he is.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lovie Meets with Season Ticket Holders « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools