Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown is on the radar.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

acacius

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 07, 2014, 03:06:44 PM

Don't see the point of signing him.  Either try to continue to develop Glennon or draft someone else.  Bringing in a 36 year old to compete serves no long term purpose and it's not like he would even makes us a playoff team this one year.
I really don't think the team signing McCown (or a similar vet) would signal that they didn't intend to keep trying to develop Glennon.  I think it would be more about having a viable Plan B should Glennon go down and/or pull a Chris Simms impersonation.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 07, 2014, 03:08:35 PM

Bucs need a cheap vet QB.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 07, 2014, 03:17:56 PM

Don't see the point of signing him.  Either try to continue to develop Glennon or draft someone else.  Bringing in a 36 year old to compete serves no long term purpose and it's not like he would even makes us a playoff team this one year.
I really don't think the team signing McCown (or a similar vet) would signal that they didn't intend to keep trying to develop Glennon.  I think it would be more about having a viable Plan B should Glennon go down and/or pull a Chris Simms impersonation.
hust dont call it competition then. 

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 07, 2014, 03:28:32 PM

just dont call it competition then.

JBF was the only one mentioning competition....

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

The Freeman

Starter

#19 : March 07, 2014, 03:29:18 PM

there is no cheap QB in free agency...
http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/quarterback/limit-50/
a top 25 QB is making $4M minimum, top 30 $3M minimum and you have only rookie contract out of the top 30 (Wilson, Kap, Dalton, Foles, Glennon, Smith...)

low paid QBs on a non rookie contract are making $3-4 million per year minimum

acacius

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 07, 2014, 03:43:25 PM

just dont call it competition then.
JBF was the only one mentioning competition....
And frankly even if it wasn't, well, it wouldn't exactly be remarkable for a coaching staff to claim that there was going to be open competition when in reality, the depth chart was set long before training camp.  If the team winds up rolling with Glennon and a McCown/Hill level vet, Glennon is starting unless he *really* bones things up.

JoshMcCrownUs

Starter
#21 : March 07, 2014, 04:13:43 PM

YEEEESSSSSS!!! omg its finally happenin...

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 07, 2014, 04:32:38 PM

What is the point in signing an 75 year old backup, we already have our backup in place with Glennon.
We need to be looking for a starter from somewhere.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 07, 2014, 06:18:17 PM

In SR's latest article he says "for competition".   I'm sorry.  Either rolled with Glennon or draft someone.  A 34 year old career backup bring nothing as a starter. 

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 07, 2014, 06:35:51 PM

In SR's latest article he says "for competition".   I'm sorry.  Either rolled with Glennon or draft someone.  A 34 year old career backup bring nothing as a starter.

McCown was the highest rated QB in the entire NFL last year in his 7 starts.

Im not saying that if we sign him he will be the no.1 rated QB but ask yourself, who is more likely to be a top-10 QB next year Glennon or McCown?

We are trying to win now........that is the whole point of bringing in a free agent QB.

Glennon can sit on the bench and develop.....like a young QB SHOULD BE.....no need to ruin the games by trying to make Glennon into something he isnt.....an NFL starter.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 07, 2014, 06:42:28 PM

didn't we fire Gruden over his bandaid approach to QBs.  we got to look toward the future.

The Freeman

Starter

#26 : March 07, 2014, 07:34:51 PM

get real there is no franchise QB/top 20 NFL QB in free agency, just good backup...
there is no Andrew Luck in this draft and other rookie QB need 2-3 years to develop...

our best shot for playoff this year is to build a top 5 defense in a hurry and a borderline average offense with Glennon hopefully... still a long shot but not unrealistic.
: March 07, 2014, 07:36:31 PM The Freeman

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 07, 2014, 07:46:00 PM

He was a legitimate liability for every team he played for until last year. No thank you.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 07, 2014, 09:00:55 PM

Who is the vet you're putting on the team?   

Must pick a guy cause Lovie says so...   :)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 07, 2014, 09:21:45 PM

didn't we fire Gruden over his bandaid approach to QBs.  we got to look toward the future.

We have Glennon and Kafka on the roster. Maybe they dont like their head coaching future if they bank on those guys.

Chances are we wont get Bortles or Bridgewater in the draft.

If you start Glennon and win 4 games again you aint gonna have no future.

I have no problem patching that hole until your franchise QB becomes available.

Im pretty sure Gruden got fired for using the vet QB patch as a model and drafting Cadillac Williams over Aaron freaking Rodgers.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown is on the radar.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools