Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "King Arthur and Round Table" Possible Link Between Huns and Scythians « previous next »
Page: 1

MSU_Fan

Starter

: March 21, 2014, 08:46:56 PM

gone

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 22, 2014, 12:20:16 AM

Is there a written version? 

looks like less than 1 minute of reading de-condensed pointlessly into 9 minutes of video.
: March 22, 2014, 01:05:39 AM caradoc

flashgordon

Pro Bowler
#2 : March 22, 2014, 02:01:57 AM

The idea that the Turks and Huns were responsible for the Knights of King Arthur is a bit of a stretch. So, when the video started out that way, I was a bit skeptical; then, they started talking about the Huns and Turks with early Knights on horseback.  This I can believe a little bit; but, where I heard this first was just something mentioned in passing. Towards the end of Philip Jenkins "Jesus Wars", Mr Jenkin's mentions there were certain peoples around 500 A.D. that could not be stopped. They were the first Knights on horseback he says.  I just tried to look up the index, but I can't find it through there.  I don't feel like rereading the book or those chapters.

I can kind of see that they could have inspired and influenced all the way up to England in over the hundreds of years.  But, I don't think it's quite that simple.  And, even if the Knights on horseback which really got going around 1000 A.D. was influenced by the Huns and Turks, I don't think there was any Knights at the roundtable protecting a King Arthur.  That's just a mythologizing of the situation.  You have to explain why Knights on horseback wasn't more prevalent until the 1000 A.D. for one. One should further note that almost as soon as the Knights on horseback made the economies of European towns and states around a 1000 A.D., others found the longbow from Scandinavia I think; just shoot the horses under the Knights; this knocks the Knights on the ground from where they are easy prey to small knives that can be put in the slits of the shining armor.

There was a great account of the Knights on horseback and how it created the economies of the late middle ages(1000 A.D.).  James Burke's Connections, episode 3.  They were up for years on youtube; they were just taken down about a month ago.  I'm afraid you'll have to, if you want, buy the series on amazon or wherever to watch it.  One could read the book as well.

I should further note that in Mr Jenkins book, there was a Princess/Sister of Roman Emperor Valentinian the 3rd - Justa Grata Honaria.  Because she was confined for plotting to kill her brother, she enlisted the help of Attila the Hun to help her and then go around destroying the Roman empire.  Other Princesses, soon to be Roman Empresses, also used various barbarian help to gain power and survive.

Texas Alexander(probably with Lonnie Johnson) - Bellcow blues,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDCXTSKOkhM
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "King Arthur and Round Table" Possible Link Between Huns and Scythians « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools