Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone been to San Juan, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Is.? « previous next »
Page: 1

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

: March 26, 2014, 07:31:13 AM

Trying to plan a short vaca for April.  It's between these two places since no passport is required.  Never been to the Carribean.  Which place would be better?  Not taking the kids. 

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 26, 2014, 08:58:02 AM

Wasn't particularly thrilled with either one. I'd recommend a cruise over either of those. May be hard to find one that doesn't require a passport, though.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 26, 2014, 09:07:10 AM

you can go on some Caribbean cruises with just a birth certificate, but if you mean USVI (St. Thomas) then that is better than San Juan. 

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 26, 2014, 09:53:44 AM

Wasn't considering a cruise because we are only talking sat. -tues.  We have to impose on relatives to watch the brats.  Was leaning more toward PR but there was a all inclusive resort on St. Thomas that didn't look bad.  It would cost around $1750 for the both of us which is a more than a flight/hotel package to San Juan (around $1300) but since it covers food and alcohol it might be worth it. 

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 26, 2014, 09:56:20 AM

My wife's uncle is a bartender somewhere over in the (St. Thomas) Virgin Islands. He loves it there, says things are (as to be expected) pricey there though. Never visited either myself for what its worth.

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#5 : March 26, 2014, 10:30:53 AM

been to PR and the US VI. both are pretty meh however the US VI is far better than PR - by a huge stretch. I'd take the ferry to St Johns and stay there.

Personally i like Key West far more than either of those two.
: March 26, 2014, 10:34:28 AM whocares

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 26, 2014, 10:56:40 AM

Is PR that bad?  Old San Juan looks cool and the pics of the beaches and resort pools look pretty good to someone living in northern NE.  St Thomas looks pretty damn good too I will admit. 

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 26, 2014, 11:02:59 AM

Is PR that bad?  Old San Juan looks cool and the pics of the beaches and resort pools look pretty good to someone living in northern NE.  St Thomas looks pretty damn good too I will admit.

it sort of depends on what you like to do.  Old SJ is nice but there is not much more than that, as I recall, maybe golf or just hanging at the resort, but something like St. Thomas might be better for things like snorkeling, scuba, fishing etc.

btw, either place will be "wicked awesome" for someone coming from NE (New England) in April . . .   same too for someone from Nebraska . . lol
: March 26, 2014, 11:06:08 AM VinBucFan

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#8 : March 26, 2014, 11:24:40 AM

PR is basically stay at the resort because 90% of the rest of the island is just rundown and not a whole lot there. Old San Juan was nice for a 1/2 day visit to sight see.
 St Thomas/St Johns while still being a bit rundown it's a lot more fun to run around to different parts- if the majority of stuff you'll be doing is water based activities. Plus the added benefit of Cruz Bay(?) is that there is more nightlife and it's not nearly as dicey to be out and about.

I know you said you wanted to do this as it doesnt require a passport; However going over to the British Virgin Islands is worthwhile, if you can wing it.
: March 26, 2014, 11:26:58 AM whocares

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 26, 2014, 02:43:32 PM

I have been to both places on recruiting trips with my Dad. Like anywhere else, they have their nice tourist areas, and then the real places, where people are starving to death and just trying to make it through another day.

I think the nicest place I have been is Belize [sp?].   Its very modern, everyone speaks English, great weather, friendly place. Its only about a 1 hour flight from Miami. They have hundreds of small islands off the coast. They can be purchased, and guys like Leonardo DiCaprio [sp?] own islands there. I heard Tiger Woods does also, but not sure about that.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

LuckyLarry

Pro Bowler

#10 : March 26, 2014, 11:26:02 PM

If you are not bringing the wife, I recommend either Costa Rica or Dominican Republic.    Hot chicas and cheap!

flashgordon

Pro Bowler
#11 : March 27, 2014, 01:10:53 AM

I went to St Thomas during my Navy times; we did like a two month workups in the Carabean.  For whatever reason, that's where we went for about two or three days.  Well, enough days for everyone to do one watch, and have at least one day to get off the Aircraft carrier. As someone else said, there's the good side(French), and the Islander side.  I visited both.  I also perhaps had the advantage that I went with a lot of blacks; maybe the islanders didn't mind me.  There was some intelligence briefing to stay out of certain areas; I know we tested it a little bit.  We even had a couple of sailers come down a dark alley screaming someone had been attacked.

The military generally had it set up so that the islanders would take you to a certain beach . . . where all the sailors are taken.  This is to keep the sailors out of trouble. I knew it and tried to get away, but my fellow AT's caught up with me and got me to go with them.  These guys were young and horny.  They were drunk raskels.  The Islanders would come up to us and say they'd take us to the beach(which once again, I just knew was just the place where the Navy wanted to cram everybody up in the same place);  Then, another cabbie would say he'd take us for less and give us a beer.  So, my fellow Ats would go over there, then the other would say they'd do it for cheaper, pretty soon my guys were literally abusing it!  They were going to the other guy after the other guy lowered his price! I mean they were literally drunk and doing this.  We finally got in one cab, and oh man, there's no driving rules for these guys; they're going eighty miles an hour on a narrow lane and passing cars up ahead while another car is coming the other way! 

Anyways, they took us to the beach, and well, the beach water is as advertised in the commercials; more blue than you'll ever see on any U.S. beach I've ever seen, and warm.  I was afraid of sharks.  If all you want to do is see real carribean blue water, then St Thomas is one of those places. Or was it St Marten?  Oh boy, it was that long ago; I got out in 1998. I can't help telling more stories.

Generally speaking, you won't find hot babes on the beach; you'll find super tanned, fat absolutely naked, pussies and all laid out; like I saw twenty all in a row.  That's what you get to see as far as that goes! I don't know if you're bringing the kids . . .

I guess that's all I can remember right now.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone been to San Juan, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Is.? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools