Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Carl Nicks « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

: April 11, 2014, 02:48:56 PM

I understood, that even with the best doctors could do, there was a good chance Nicks would re-injure the toe if he played football again.

I imagine Nicks is limited regarding any running he may want to do to get back in shape

Does anyone have some knowledge about these issues???

sammich

Starter

#1 : April 11, 2014, 03:00:27 PM

I haven't heard anything, but us not going after the guards available in free agency has to be a good sign.  Even if the dude hasn't been able to run he could have been keeping his cardio up on a bike or an elliptical machine without risking his toe.

On a side note have you guys seen the movie Grown Ups?  Every time I think of Nicks I hear Chris Rock's voice making fun of his mother-in-law's toe.  I know its mean, but I get a chuckle every time.

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

#2 : April 11, 2014, 04:43:51 PM

Bucs say "his rehab is going well"....... but they've been saying that for years now......

Its ok, Ive been here before... - Lovie Smith    ---------     Hes a great coach, hes been there before. - Lavonte David
Hes a great coach.  - Mike Evans

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 11, 2014, 06:14:12 PM

Bucs say "his rehab is going well"....... but they've been saying that for years now......

...and by "years", you mean, since December...

TBChucky

Pro Bowler
#4 : April 12, 2014, 07:39:03 AM

It appears that the Bucs plan on having him on the field. It would be fantastic to finally get a little return on our investment. As far as us fans go, it's kinda hard to get too excited about him. Let's hope he can play.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 12, 2014, 08:30:27 AM

...and by "years", you mean, since December...

No you silly jerk, by "years" I mean since January of 2013..... thats one year plus one year = two years. So yes, the plural form of year -- YEARS -- is appropriate here.

Anyway, here's an overall timeline of the Carl Nicks toe injury for the rest of you mislead people out there.

Quote from: Rotoworld
Tuesday October 30, 2012 4:11:00pm
Bucs placed LG Carl Nicks (toe) on injured reserve, ending his season.
The injury is reportedly similar to the one that ended the season of Cowboys ILB Sean Lee. Nicks has been battling it since early September. For the Bucs to end his season suggests a recent setback. A 2011 first-team All Pro selection and $47.5 million offseason signing by the Bucs, Nicks had been Tampa's best offensive lineman and one of the league's premier run-blocking guards. His loss is a blow to Doug Martin's surging fantasy value. Interior swingman Ted Larsen is expected to take over as the starter.

Wednesday January 24, 2013 9:14:00am
Bucs say LG Carl Nicks has not had any setbacks as he recovers from his season-ending toe injury.
Nicks, a 2011 first-team All-Pro, missed the final nine games of the season. During that time, Doug Martin still rushed 190 times for 911 yards (4.79 YPC) and scored eight touchdowns. With dominant Nicks back in the mix next season, Martin should find even more holes to run through.

Sunday July 28, 2013 11:20:00am
Bucs LG Carl Nicks (toe surgery) has been limited early in training camp, but he plans to be ready for the season opener.
"Ill be ready. Ill definitely be ready," Nicks said. "I dont know if Ill play in any preseason games, but Ill be ready." One of the best run-blocking guards in the game, Nicks missed the final nine games last season.

Monday August 12, 2013 2:46:00pm
Bucs LG Carl Nicks says the toe injury he suffered in 2012 will affect him the rest of his life.
The Bucs can manage the toe by giving Nicks rest days during the week, instead of forcing him to practice. "I will have to deal with it my whole life," he said. "Honestly, it is not 100 percent, yet. I plan on playing some this next preseason game and obviously, the third one. We'll see how it goes." Nicks will remain an asset to the Bucs' offense as long as he's on the field.

Monday August 19, 2013 11:49:00am
Bucs LG Carl Nicks has developed an "infected blister" on his troublesome toe, and is out indefinitely.
It's bad news after Nicks missed the final nine games last season with a toe injury, but coach Greg Schiano believes there's still a "realistic possibility" he'll be ready for Week 1. Nicks said last week he believed his toe issue would affect him the rest of his life. Right now, he's sounding like a poor bet to suit up for 16 games. This would be more of a concern for Doug Martin's fantasy value if Martin hadn't finished as the No. 2 overall running back in 2012 despite a fully missed season by RG Davin Joseph combined with Nicks' missed games.

Tuesday October 15, 2013 4:12:00pm
SportsTalkFlorida.com reports Bucs LG Carl Nicks (MRSA) is undergoing surgery Tuesday to "to clean out the infection in his toe."
If true, it would shelve Nicks indefinitely. He can be safely ruled out for Week 7. The Bucs' nightmare season just keeps getting worse. It's hard to see coach Greg Schiano lasting beyond 2013.

Monday December 23, 2013 10:10:00am
Sources tell FOX Sports that Carl Nicks (foot) has received "mixed messages" on whether he'll be able to resume his career.
Nicks' current issues are not related to the MRSA infection he dealt with over the summer. The problem is potential nerve damage that has affected his ability to have strength and feeling in his foot. Nicks, a two-time Pro Bowler, signed a five-year, $47.5 million contract with the Bucs in March of 2012.

March 24, 2014
The Bucs are "optimistic" LG Carl Nicks (toe) will be ready for OTAs.
"Hes moving along pretty good," GM Jason Licht said Monday. "So far, weve been pleased with his progression." There have been whispers that Nicks' career is in danger, but it's good news there's optimism so early in the offseason. The Bucs likely don't know what to expect before Nicks resumes practicing, but the sooner he gets back on the practice field, the better.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4828/carl-nicks

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 12, 2014, 08:34:46 AM

Well I hope he plays, plays well and plays all year. I honestly don't see that happening. O-linemen get feet/toes stomped on  all the time, literally every day in practice. If I had to bet, I'd say he makes an attempt to comeback in camp and then has a set back. Another very costly fail on offense by a HC who's far more concerned about about our middle of the pack defense than our epicially horrid offense.

Guess time will tell.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 12, 2014, 08:42:04 AM

How is it a fail by the current HC/GM? What a ridiculos thing to say. Clearly, the Bucs are waiting to see if he'll be ok for this year (since his cap hit will INCREASE if we release him in 2014) and are going to find his eventual replacement in the mean time. The FA class of OG was very weak this spring. The draft is about a month away and has some nice prospects in the middle rounds. Even after the draft, there are significant roster moves that every team makes each and every year. There is really no reason for any pessimism about our OL at this point unless you are just a sour fan.... and in that case there is no pleasing you.

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 12, 2014, 09:04:52 AM

How is it a fail by the current HC/GM? What a ridiculos thing to say. Clearly, the Bucs are waiting to see if he'll be ok for this year (since his cap hit will INCREASE if we release him in 2014) and are going to find his eventual replacement in the mean time. The FA class of OG was very weak this spring. The draft is about a month away and has some nice prospects in the middle rounds. Even after the draft, there are significant roster moves that every team makes each and every year. There is really no reason for any pessimism about our OL at this point unless you are just a sour fan.... and in that case there is no pleasing you.

Where do you get that?  What I see indicates a 2+ mil savings against the 2014 cap with his release.

The Freeman

Starter

#9 : April 12, 2014, 09:44:17 AM

$6 million of Nicks 2014 salary is guaranteed for injury...

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 12, 2014, 09:51:21 AM

Quote from: CBS Sports
Still, it would cost the Buccaneers to get rid of him. Nicks is scheduled to make a base salary of $7 million next season...... But if Tampa Bay parts ways with him, Nicks still would leave behind $7.071 million worth of dead money on the cap.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24400826/report-mrsa-might-continue-to-sideline-buccaneers-g-carl-nicks

Quote from: Bucs Nation
Yet, the one suggestion that seems to be most repeated is that the team should cut Carl Nicks - normally attached with the argument that, if released with a June 1st Designation', the move would instantly free up $7 million in cap room. For those who advocate this move, I have bad news for you:There could not be a financially worse move the Bucs could make than cutting Carl Nicks. His roster spot is essentially guaranteed - the team cannot afford to cut him.
http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/1/24/5341988/2014-buccaneers-salary-cap-carl-nicks-and-the-construction-of-a

Quote from: The Pewter Plank
As our friends at Bucs Nation pointed out, releasing Carl Nicks is not among the cost-effective ways to cut down on salary and increase the cap space available to make moves this offseason.
http://thepewterplank.com/2014/01/24/buccaneers-salary-cap-big-tampa-bay-contracts-cut-save-money-2014/
: April 12, 2014, 09:55:03 AM TampaBucks05

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 12, 2014, 10:01:42 AM

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Carl%20Nicks&Position=G&Team=Buccaneers

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/carl-nicks/

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 12, 2014, 10:03:18 AM

It's just a toe. If Ronnie Lott can cut off his finger to keep playing, you'd think Nicks would find a way to get on the field with a bad toe. It's not like he is CB who has to run and break on the ball. It's going to hurt him for the rest of his life no matter what.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 12, 2014, 10:42:46 AM

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Carl%20Nicks&Position=G&Team=Buccaneers

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/carl-nicks/

I think those cap numbers are assuming Nicks hits all of his bonus incentives this season...... but if we cut him right now, his cap hit will actually jump about 100k. If he does hit all of his incentives it means the Bucs will have fielded a healthy Carl Nicks in 2014.

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 12, 2014, 11:02:31 AM

By all accounts he has a little over 7 mil in dead money remaining on his contract because we converted his 2013 guaranteed salary into a prorated bonus after the 2012 season.  By all accounts his 2014 cap # is somewhere between 9.357 (what I see from the reputable contract websites) and 10.1 mil.  I don't see any way possible it would cost us cap space to cut him. 

*Unless possibly his injury guarantee for 2014 is already in affect?  I can't see how that would be possible for that guaranteed portion of the contract to be in affect for an injury sustained during prior season(s), but maybe?
: April 12, 2014, 11:04:19 AM threadkiller
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Carl Nicks « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools