Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tour de France 2014. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« : June 10, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »

Chris Froome is the man to beat.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #1 : June 10, 2014, 11:09:56 PM »

durango, do you ride?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #2 : June 11, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »

Yes, as a mater of fact I do. On average about 150 miles a week. Roughly about 75 of those miles are on some decent hill climbs.  Why do you ask, you want to race me? Judging by your recent photo you might be a little too pudgy to compete against me. But hey, I'm game if you are.  Whoever loses must take a one month sabbatical away from The Cove.

You ready to step up?

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
« #3 : June 11, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »

I'll take the guy with the Harley.

In many bassin\' circles, trolling is often considered the lowest form of fishing - Jim Porter

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 11, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »

Yes, as a mater of fact I do. On average about 150 miles a week. Roughly about 75 of those miles are on some decent hill climbs.  Why do you ask, you want to race me? Judging by your recent photo you might be a little too pudgy to compete against me. But hey, I'm game if you are.  Whoever loses must take a one month sabbatical away from The Cove.

You ready to step up?

well, if you are a good rider then why so insecure? You should be able to beat a "pudgy" guy, but putting it out there like that in response to a simple question doesnt exactly say "confident" now does it?

I dont ride anywhere near as much as you do, but I do ride

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #5 : June 11, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »

You ready to step up?

well, if you are a good rider then why so insecure? You should be able to beat a "pudgy" guy, but putting it out there like that in response to a simple question doesnt exactly say "confident" now does it?

Sounds to me you're being a bit dramatic about my response. I'm interested, just wondering how much do you ride, what kind of riding and what kind of bike you use?

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #6 : June 11, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »

You ready to step up?

Sounds to me you're being a bit dramatic about my response. I'm interested, just wondering how much do you ride, what kind of riding and what kind of bike you use?

I am trying to learn as I go, basically riding as an alternative to my lifelong sport and as part of a passing interest in triathlon.  I have two bikes, a Trek hybrid and Cannondale road bike. I ride mostly on the Pinellas Trail

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #7 : June 13, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »

I would wish anyone training and participating in triathlon the most success. I've played w/ the idea often, but what's always nixed it for me is the swimming portion. The heart stress. My heart is great, as far as I know, (even better after I quit smoking) but the stress from starting, then thrashing in open water against a pack of crazed jackals doesn't sound too cool. For those 40+ there's an alarming frequency of heart attacks that occur especially in the swim.
--------------------------

‘Fighting to Breathe’
The swim leg of the triathlon, often held in open water, can be “extraordinarily stressful,” said La Gerche, who has also competed in more than 100 triathlons. “You have people climbing all over you. Sometimes you’re fighting to breathe, and that’s not something the body is used to.”
Open-water racing triggers a clash of two mechanisms of the involuntary nervous system, according to researchers at England’s University of Portsmouth. A “fight or flight” response activated by physical exertion, cold water temperature or anxiety tries to speed up the heart rate and causes hyperventilation, just as the body tries to slow the heart rate to conserve oxygen in response to facial wetting, water entering the mouth, nose and throat, and extended breath-holding, the scientists said.
“Normally the two responses don’t happen at the same time, but when they do, the heart can go into abnormal rhythms, which can cause sudden cardiac death,” Mike Tipton, who runs the university’s Extreme Environments Laboratory, wrote in a commentary for the British Journal of Sports Medicine in February.

Competition Changes
World Triathlon Corp., the owner of the sport’s Ironman-branded events, made changes to the swim portion of select races after an increase in competitor deaths in recent years, the company announced last month.
Events in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho; Lake Placid, New York; and Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, no longer feature a mass swim start, eliminating a long-standing Ironman tradition. Athletes at those races will either enter the water in a continuous stream through an access point, with their time starting when they cross a timing mat, or in staggered waves based on their age group.
The changes came two months after Ross Ehlinger, a 46-year-old man from Austin, Texas, died during the swim portion of the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon and nine months after Andy Naylor, a 43-year-old member of the Hong Kong Police Force, died near the conclusion of the 2.4-mile swim portion of the New York City Ironman. In 2011, two competitors died during the swim portion of the Olympic-distance New York City Triathlon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-20/men-over-40-should-think-twice-before-running-triathlons.html

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 13, 2014, 11:05:22 AM »

huh. I never knew that, thanks for posting.  I have always been a strong swimmer, in fact I would think it should be an advantage, but then again . . .  I am not 20 anymore

Btw, on smoking, I have never been a smoker but I have a good friend who was a chain smoker for years and he quit and now is a regular Ironman competitor in his 40s

Ozymandias

Starter

« #9 : June 13, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »

You trying to win the triathlon or is your victory in finishing it? Most of the smaller events release the contestants in small groups. They're also not quite so competitive. Just hang back until the course is clear and then start your swim.

The vast majority of the time you're training, not competing. For me, once I broke through the barrier of an hour long nonstop swim, it was my favorite part of training. The best endorphin high I've ever had. Very low impact, and no injuries from overtraining.

it is NOT very difficult to limit access to guns
it is almost impossible to prevent someone with a mental illness from getting a gun.  

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 13, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »

The best endorphin high I've ever had. Very low impact, and no injuries from overtraining.

I am not sure I would go that far with swimming, but its a good point particularly if you think of it from the perspective of what you get in terms of endorphin high for very low impact etc.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #11 : June 13, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »

Maybe it's the fear of never having done competitive swimming. I'm pretty a decent swimmer, but I also know that I'm competitive  and have a "high adrenaline" A type personality, which I guess is what concerns me, about jumping in the water at the start and getting after it. I love to swim, but in a competitive environment I'd be a little paranoid about how I would react. Maybe I should  work on my mental approach. My hat's off to you Ozy, not sure I could go for an hour in the water, regardless of the circumstances. Just posted that excerpt as a heads up, but if you're a strong swimmer, Vin that's obviously a huge bonus.

Ozymandias

Starter

« #12 : June 13, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »

Swimming isn't about getting after it, it's about technique. Relax, focus on your stroke and your breathing. If you work on becoming more efficient, you will automatically become faster. If you focus on becoming faster, you will never gain efficiency.

Just relax and swim. Swim as many laps as you are comfortable with, take a short breather and go again. Try to increase that number each week. By the time you can do fifteen minutes at a stretch, you'll probably be able to jump straight to an hour.

Low impact or not, stretching is mandatory.

it is almost impossible to prevent someone with a mental illness from getting a gun.  

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #13 : June 13, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »

Think I'll look up nearby triathlons and go, not to participate, strictly as an expectorater and observe to get a better feel of how the swim is handled. 

Ozymandias

Starter

« #14 : June 13, 2014, 02:00:52 PM »

You're going to spit on them? Dude, that's ill advised. Most of them are in pretty good shape and they'll beat your ass.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tour de France 2014. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools