Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else 23 and have no career/ idea what to do? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

eoebucco23

Rookie

: June 12, 2014, 03:02:58 PM

I'm 23 years old and I work a dead end 3rd shift retail job that makes me want to hang myself. I've managed to save a little over 11 grand and I'm actively investing a majority of it in stocks/mutual funds.  I was in community  college for some time, but dropped out a few credit shy of a general Associates Degree.. school feels like a waste of time when you don't have a strong inclination of a career path. Anyone else just kind of miserably drifting?

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 12, 2014, 04:28:01 PM

If you're just a few credits shy of your AA then finish it up and get it over with. That'll give you some time to sort out your direction and you'll be doing something worthwhile. You may never need the AA but it very well could help in the future. If enrolling back into school means that you need to tighten your belt, then do it. Make a budget and stick to it. If you're a capable person you'll make it work and you'll feel better that you accomplished something beneficial. If you're not a capable person then you'll be grinding away at a crappy job anyway. If you read your own post from an objective stand point you can see yourself what you need to do.Give yourself a kick in the ass, get focused and always be prudent with your investments.

SackedBySapp

Starter

#2 : June 12, 2014, 04:37:04 PM

do you have a passion?  what would you be doing to make a living if there were no boundaries?

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 12, 2014, 04:41:42 PM

"do you have a passion? "

Excellent question. If the answer is no, then see my post above. If the answer is yes, then tell us what it is.

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 12, 2014, 04:46:47 PM

If you're just a few credits shy of your AA then finish it up and get it over with. That'll give you some time to sort out your direction and you'll be doing something worthwhile. You may never need the AA but it very well could help in the future. If enrolling back into school means that you need to tighten your belt, then do it. Make a budget and stick to it. If you're a capable person you'll make it work and you'll feel better that you accomplished something beneficial. If you're not a capable person then you'll be grinding away at a crappy job anyway. If you read your own post from an objective stand point you can see yourself what you need to do.Give yourself a kick in the ass, get focused and always be prudent with your investments.

While I don't agree with Milich on certain things, this is one of the better posts I've seen in awhile. Great advice. Nicely done Milich.

In many bassin\' circles, trolling is often considered the lowest form of fishing - Jim Porter

deuce

Rookie

#5 : June 12, 2014, 08:25:51 PM

Email me at deuce3355@gmail.com with your phone number and we can talk...

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 12, 2014, 10:31:28 PM

Just know it's perfectly fine to be 23 and not know what the he'll you're doing with your life. He'll, to be two credits shy of an AA degree and have 11 grand saved up, that's pretty damn impressive. When I was 23 I didn't know what the **CENSORED** I wanted to do with my life and I was married with a 2 yr old. I'm 35 now with 4.kids and am going on my fourth career. I've traveled(highly recommend) and experienced a lot an now I want to settle in for the long haul. Some ppl are just wired diff. Enjoy life, make some bad decisions and create some.memories cause in the bigger picture, your e a baby.lol

P.s. whatever you do, just say no to marriage. At least until your 30+. It's so overrated
: June 12, 2014, 10:35:00 PM wreck ship

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 12, 2014, 10:35:29 PM

well said

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

EvansUptheGut

Second String

#8 : June 13, 2014, 12:16:21 AM

Vin is 50 and has no career or idea what to do, so listen to him.   

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 13, 2014, 09:33:09 AM

Vin is 50 and has no career or idea what to do, so listen to him.

The irony of that ^^ post by Java, a guy who is repeatedly banned from a free website and yet returns over and over and over again . . .  and when people point out that his name changes don't hide his conduct, he gets angry and post things like this . . lol

kid, Java is a good example of where you do NOT want to be.  Follow Milich's advice, its good advice.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Ozymandias

Starter

#10 : June 13, 2014, 09:51:56 AM

Looked to me like he was making a joke. You seem more like the angry one.

it is NOT very difficult to limit access to guns
it is almost impossible to prevent someone with a mental illness from getting a gun.  

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#11 : June 13, 2014, 09:54:30 AM

Looked to me like he was making a joke. You seem more like the angry one.

I am not angry, lol, and he wasn't making a joke . . . you'd have to look around the boards to figure that out

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 13, 2014, 09:56:13 AM

I'm 23 years old and I work a dead end 3rd shift retail job that makes me want to hang myself. I've managed to save a little over 11 grand and I'm actively investing a majority of it in stocks/mutual funds.  I was in community  college for some time, but dropped out a few credit shy of a general Associates Degree.. school feels like a waste of time when you don't have a strong inclination of a career path. Anyone else just kind of miserably drifting?

My recommendation would be get your AA and go to a four school, hopefully on a scholarship. At the same time, take advantage of interships to see what interests you. If school isn't your thing, do you know what interests you?

shawn731

Starter

#13 : June 13, 2014, 10:30:51 AM

You are only 23 years old.  Live and learn.  Sit down with a pad and write down jobs that you like and those you don't.  Look at the list  and see what it takes to accomplish the jobs you are interested in.  Pursue them and in your pursuit you will identify things you are interested.  Also, once you have identified a path take your time and learn from your mistakes.  Do not be afraid to fail.  That is what makes life so amazing.  Each day you have another opportunity to learn something new.  Stay positive. 

Do not let others define success for you.

Ozymandias

Starter

#14 : June 13, 2014, 10:37:36 AM

"Do not let others define success for you."

The backbone of the advertising industry, and the heart of capitalism.

It has been my experience that the most important thing in life after family is enjoying your job. Far more important than how much money you make. The trick is to make a living at something you like doing.

it is NOT very difficult to limit access to guns
it is almost impossible to prevent someone with a mental illness from getting a gun.  
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else 23 and have no career/ idea what to do? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools