Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else 23 and have no career/ idea what to do? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#15 : June 13, 2014, 10:45:37 AM

It has been my experience that the most important thing in life after family is enjoying your job. Far more important than how much money you make. The trick is to make a living at something you like doing.

More awesome advice

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#16 : June 13, 2014, 11:47:39 AM

Do what you love, the money will follow. * I agree entirely, but it doesn't sound like the OP has discovered that. He may never, which is why I advised him to get something going now and  see if his passion would surface over time.
: June 13, 2014, 11:50:55 AM Mr. Milich

SackedBySapp

Starter

#17 : June 13, 2014, 12:37:26 PM

He's vanished.  Perhaps he has a job

SackedBySapp

Starter

#18 : June 13, 2014, 12:42:28 PM

[kid, Java is a good example of where you do NOT want to be.  Follow Milich's advice, its good advice.

This just gets better and better.  Now THAT guy is java?

It's not me anymore?  not Milich anymore?

Vin, I've seen people baker acted for less.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#19 : June 13, 2014, 12:56:56 PM

[kid, Java is a good example of where you do NOT want to be.  Follow Milich's advice, its good advice.

This just gets better and better.  Now THAT guy is java?

It's not me anymore?  not Milich anymore?

Vin, I've seen people baker acted for less.

lol . . .  and yet here you are . . posting

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#20 : June 13, 2014, 01:04:38 PM

SBS is not Java.

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
#21 : June 13, 2014, 01:13:49 PM

It's hard to keep up with all his accounts. Lol.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 13, 2014, 01:15:51 PM

It's hard to keep up with all their accounts. Lol.

fixed

;)

Ozymandias

Starter

#23 : June 13, 2014, 01:15:53 PM

Pretty sure that everyone here besides you is Java.

it is NOT very difficult to limit access to guns
it is almost impossible to prevent someone with a mental illness from getting a gun.  

SackedBySapp

Starter

#24 : June 13, 2014, 01:28:03 PM

I like this place.  I think I'm going to stay.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 13, 2014, 01:38:58 PM

You'll enjoy Java, dude is creative as hell. Watching him work his magic, getting other people all worked up. He plays them like a piano.

SackedBySapp

Starter

#26 : June 13, 2014, 01:41:42 PM

I honestly don't know who this java guy is.  I've even wondered if it was an ongoing joke and there is no guy named that.  feel free to message me.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 14, 2014, 11:22:59 AM

I was in a similar predicament when I was 16. All I knew was that I did not want to go back to school, but did not know what else I wanted so I joined the Army. There was family history there, Dad, Mum,  Grandad, Great Grandad etc so there was some reasoning.

While I was in the Army I grew up,  learnt a lot about self discipline, motivation, skills and a received reasonable pay check for a single guy. I enjoyed doing some of the stuff I had to do and it gave me direction. When I left the Army I went back to school and the rest as they say, is history.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 14, 2014, 10:33:31 PM

I'm 23 years old and I work a dead end 3rd shift retail job that makes me want to hang myself. I've managed to save a little over 11 grand and I'm actively investing a majority of it in stocks/mutual funds.  I was in community  college for some time, but dropped out a few credit shy of a general Associates Degree.. school feels like a waste of time when you don't have a strong inclination of a career path. Anyone else just kind of miserably drifting?

I am not much older than you, so I am not qualified to give advice to anyone.  But I think the best advice in this thread is pursue what you love. And if you don't know what that is, the military is a good option to buy some time. And after 3-4 years of that, you will have a better idea of what direction you want to go. And you will have earned benefits. Although that is not very enticing after the recent news about the VA.

Sports is a good area, and it looks like you are a sports fan if your visiting this message board. Most of the pro leagues are rolling in cash so the pay is great. But its really hard to get your foot in the door, unless you are willing to start out as an unpaid intern. Former players get the first shot for any job opportunities that come up around the league. My dad played in the NFL and is a sports agent now, making big bucks. But even that profession could be in trouble going forward. The way the top picks in the draft are already slotted, who needs an agent?  A rookie player needs a financial adviser and money manager, more so than an agent.  So, agents in todays NFL are aware of that, and are concentrating more on those 2 areas.

I am employed at a huge company that is a sub contractor for the NFL. Good pay, good benefits, good hours. But not the easiest job to get your foot in the door.  Unless you know somebody.

Good luck to you and I hope you land somewhere that is satisfying to you, and you stay there, and climb the ladder for the next 30-40 years.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#29 : June 15, 2014, 12:53:45 AM

I was at that exact same point. BUT I opened my own store and kept it going for 6 + years.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else 23 and have no career/ idea what to do? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools