Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How do you make water? Is there a finite quantity? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

« : July 08, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
We are able to disassemble water molecules by running an electrical current through it in order to separate oxygen and hydrogen bonds. The reverse ~ If oxygen and hydrogen combine then the reaction should give off an electrical discharge i.e. a lightning strike. Suppose every time we witness lightning water molecules are being formed in the earth's atmosphere.

That is logical to think there is not a finite volume of water contained within the earth's physical boundaries (sky, surface, and subterranean).

Now about all those flood theories where there isn't enough water to cover the entire surface? smh
« : July 10, 2014, 08:53:47 AM OneTruth »

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

« #1 : July 09, 2014, 02:56:04 PM »

where did all that O2 in the air come from?

Anubis

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 09, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/singularity/2013/04/22/nearly-unlimited-water/

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

« #3 : July 09, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/singularity/2013/04/22/nearly-unlimited-water/

that's relatively old news.  that's talking about fresh, drinkable water, which we all know is only limited to humans by how much standing freshwater is available, and how much energy we want to use to turn saltwater into freshwater

(which if we cover the planet in solar panels, we could desalinate the ocean as we pleased; its doubtful the sun will stop shining. but seems we're not really interested in that)

thomas is talking about something different.  thomas is talking about turning enough air into water to flood the continents.  so again I ask him again, where did all that O2 in the air come from?

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : July 10, 2014, 01:22:53 AM »

For every action there is an opposite reaction.
We are able to disassemble water molecules by running an electrical current through it in order to separate oxygen and hydrogen bonds. The reverse ~ If oxygen and hydrogen combine then the reaction should give off an electrical discharge i.e. a lightning strike. Suppose every time we witness lightning water molecules are being formed in the earth's atmosphere.

That is logical to think there is not a finite volume of water contained within the earth's physical boundaries (sky, surface, and subterranean).

Now about all those flood theories where there isn't enough water to cover the entire surface? smh
Flawed logic is flawed.
yet another dumb topic by OneBabble.
The Earth & it's atmosphere will have a threshold for how much oxygen & hydrogen it can hold, there is only so much room, thus if there is a finite value for those 2 there must be a finite number of how much water there could be.
As far as floods go, we really don't need to know much more than if all the snow & ice were to melt we'd be f'ed, don't need to create more for that to happen.

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

« #5 : July 10, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »

I thought one of the properties of a gas was compressibility.

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/liquids/character.html

« : July 10, 2014, 08:16:12 AM OneTruth »

Ozymandias

Starter

« #6 : July 10, 2014, 09:39:46 AM »

Water is not a gas, and it is not easily compressible. I believe that at around a thousand times atmospheric pressure it can only be compressed 6%.

it is NOT very difficult to limit access to guns
it is almost impossible to prevent someone with a mental illness from getting a gun.  

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

« #7 : July 10, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »

water vapor IS a gas

Ozymandias

Starter

« #8 : July 10, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »

Water vapor is not water though, is it?

it is almost impossible to prevent someone with a mental illness from getting a gun.  

Anubis

Hall of Famer

« #9 : July 10, 2014, 12:47:53 PM »

"Water is essentially incompressible, especially under normal conditions."
http://water.usgs.gov/edu/compressibility.html

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

« #10 : July 10, 2014, 01:35:41 PM »

the water molecule 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen... goes into 3 states... liquid ~ water/ solid ~ ice/ and gas ~ steam/ if this molecule were named after accepted nomenclature rules its name would be oxygen dihydride. Interesting little play on words you have here. steam is not water yet it is a water MOLECULE. Water vapor and steam as all gases are compressible. Even as the water molecule in its liquid state is not compressible as this is a characteristic of all liquids.
« : July 10, 2014, 01:53:04 PM OneTruth »

Ozymandias

Starter

« #11 : July 10, 2014, 02:10:49 PM »

Ozone is not oxygen, yet each ozone molecule is made of three oxygen atoms. Sodium is a soft metal that is highly reactive and poisonous. It will often explode when exposed to water. Chlorine is a poisonous gas. But combine sodium and chlorine and you get halite, a compound that easily dissolves in water. They have an ionic bond, which completely changes their chemical properties.

The point here is that you really don't know enough about chemistry to make any kind of tenable argument. What are you trying to prove anyway? A quick glance at the Greek myth of Deucalion and the even earlier 'Epic of Gilgamesh' quickly reveals that the tale of Noah is a heavily embellished moral tale not meant to be taken literally.

The only thing you've ever accomplished in one of your little scientific exposés is to demonstrate that you have a very poor grasp on the basic tenets of science.
« : July 11, 2014, 06:23:40 AM Ozymandias »

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

« #12 : July 10, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »

illuminator I presume ....or John Galt?

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

« #13 : July 10, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »

Btw I have  3 semesters general chem (the junior college I went to broke gen chem into 3 parts though normally it is 2 parts) , and 2 semesters organic chem, and 2 semesters physics. Plus because I enjoy the subjects I have read much additional material.

You belittling my knowledge is an attacking the person fallacy. Argue the points or be on your way. Your post seem eerily familiar as my previous post points out.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 10, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »

I think H2O is the least of the worlds probs.  IIRC, 70-75% of the planet is covered by water?  Sure, its salt water mostly, but the Saudis have been running desalination rigs for years.  Its not cheap, but they are rolling in dough.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How do you make water? Is there a finite quantity? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools