Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Some things to consider... (Grudenistas and Dungy humpers will love this) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 25, 2007, 10:31:42 AM

Barrett Ruud is the only 1st day defensive player drafted in the last 8 years still on the team. That has got to change.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 25, 2007, 12:57:29 PM

It is realistic to expect Gruden to be familiar with players who are projected as first day draft picks. These are 96 people who have a reasonable chance to contribute something to a team in their rookie year. It is not realistic to expect any HC to have specific knowledge of players who MIGHT be drafted on the second day. The number of players being considered has to be several hundred. This is why teams have scouts. It's their job to sort through the numbers and single out players who MIGHT fill a need.

I believe I can safely say Gruden has had little to do with choosing our scouts. It is really not fair to blame their failures entirely on him. Credit and blame are a shared commodity. The team still has a way to go but I believe the worst is over. McKay's mistakes are less of a problem now.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 25, 2007, 01:13:23 PM

For those of you that were wondering... Dungy used 9 first day picks on offense and 8 first day picks on defense, and 23 total picks on offense and 24 total picks on defense... Pretty even huh?

Now look at how the first day picks were distibuted over time:

95: 3 picks defense, 0 offense  (Added in just for the sake of argument)
96: 3 picks defense, 1 offense
97: 1 pick defense, 4 offense
98: 2 picks defense, 1 offense
99: 1 pick defense, 1 offense, 1 special teams
00: 1 pick defense, 3 picks offense (Keyshawn trade)
01: 1 pick defense, 2 picks offense (Kenyatta trade)

So ... overall the team was moving towards more offense orientated drafts during the McKay/Dungy era.  I would posit that this was due to the defense being established and that the McKay/Gruden and Allen/Gruden drafts were the fairly natural extrapolation of the already existing pattern.  Of course, this is going to be the draft to really tell the tale.  We no longer really have a well-established defense, so this would logically be the time for the pendulum to start swinging back the other way.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Some things to consider... (Grudenistas and Dungy humpers will love this) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools