Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Elephant in the Living Room « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

dm4bucs

Starter
#45 : March 25, 2007, 01:53:51 PM

I think it's true that our defense was hard to crack b/c we had/have some great players and were one of the top defenses for many years, but this defense is starting to show its age and our remaining great players don't have many years left. 

The number 0-6 is hard to go by b/c it can be started whenever you like to best fit your argument, but I agree that we better start hitting on some players that actually can be starters and not just bench players.  We don't have the luxury of letting them sit the bench b/c they are not as good as our current players anymore and we will need to draft some new players that can take our defense into the top of the NFL just like brooks, sapp, and lynch did years ago.

gone

Hall of Famer
#46 : March 25, 2007, 04:02:07 PM

I think it's true that our defense was hard to crack b/c we had/have some great players and were one of the top defenses for many years, but this defense is starting to show its age and our remaining great players don't have many years left. 

The number 0-6 is hard to go by b/c it can be started whenever you like to best fit your argument, but I agree that we better start hitting on some players that actually can be starters and not just bench players.  We don't have the luxury of letting them sit the bench b/c they are not as good as our current players anymore and we will need to draft some new players that can take our defense into the top of the NFL just like brooks, sapp, and lynch did years ago.

Some of the youngsters need to move in, but that doesn't mean you only get them through the draft.  FA can work too.  Bruce is doing a good job gfilling the holes with liveable contracts there right now.  We also need to understand there were so many high picks wasted before Gru got here and there was jack for talent on the O-side. 

It's time for a more even distribution to start occurring, no doubt.  But we need to accept that there are still needs on O as well. 

I still expect a more veteran look to the defense for a few more years.  All those picks we lost are causing a talent Gap, and that takes a while to recover from.  It'll start moving faster now that we have cap space, but you're still looking at only adding 2-4 new players a year through the draft.  Anything else is cake.  And neither Gru or Monte is big on starting rookies unless they have to.  The only rookie you'll see start on D is a first rounder...

UFBucgator

Practice Squad

#47 : March 25, 2007, 05:36:08 PM

Can we please stop blaming Monte for the poor decisions and evaluations made by our personnel guys?  We have lost guys to the Bears and Seahawks who were proven.  Monte hasn't forgotten how to coach.  He is breaking in new assistants at an alarming rate and we havent exactly given him much help through the draft or free agency. He can't make chicken salad out of chicken $pit.  Marques Cooper didn't pan out.  Ok.  How is that on Monte?  He was a third rounder.  Shouldn't we also be pointing fingers at John b/c of Clayton's decline(1st), Simms inability to develop(3rd), Colmer sucking eggs(3rd), Caddy regressing(1st)?

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#48 : March 25, 2007, 06:05:40 PM

aw man, I thought the title meant Dr. Phil was doing a show at your house ;)
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Elephant in the Living Room « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools