Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question RE TBBB Threads « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

sprung4bucs

Rookie

: March 27, 2007, 04:45:57 PM

I thought to do an extensive "data analysis" of the TBBB to quantify what I perceived to be a 360 change in the informative environment over there, since logging in as a member.  However, after tallying only about 1% of the information, I bailed out.  The need to know wasn't worth the effort.  Because some interesting stats were revealed in that small data pool, I created a thread to share some of the details.  The thread was deleted in a flash.  No one has notified me regarding the "why" of the deletion.  I reread the rules and checked my messages, but found no indication of rule violation.

I basically noted four things to explain the following image: (1) that within the last two years of my board membership, the board had negatively changed, (2) that there was a possibility that my own membership fueled that change (3) Bucs fans hate other Buc fans (4) that one unnamed person consistently stood out as a thread hijacker.

Some things just go straight over my head, and wondered if someone could give me a heads-up as to why the thread might have been deleted.  My response to anyone who criticizes me for asking...Meh! 

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#1 : March 27, 2007, 04:50:20 PM

You should continue that study. Make sure that you don't do it if you have under 1,000 replies to look at though.

It would be interesting. I have no idea why it would be deleted except for the fact that the mods can do whatever they want over there.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#2 : March 27, 2007, 04:57:11 PM

You didn't really take the time to do that, did you?

sprung4bucs

Rookie

#3 : March 27, 2007, 04:59:52 PM

You should continue that study. Make sure that you don't do it if you have under 1,000 replies to look at though.
Recycle Bin

It would be interesting.
I thought it would be.

Thanks for attempting an answer.  

sprung4bucs

Rookie

#4 : March 27, 2007, 05:05:09 PM

You didn't really take the time to do that, did you?

Yes I did.  Sometimes I do tedious things in my free time...for fun.  My initial goal was a line graph covering the past two years (of thousands of posts).  I selectively chose 8 posts, over a 1 day period.

Think "Rain Man"

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#5 : March 27, 2007, 05:10:31 PM

It wouldn't be that hard to get 1,000 replies. If you do it for fun and actually enjoy it, continue it. Somebody here will read it (me probably). I am a PS major so I know about what quantitative research is like and this would be a pretty easy one. It actually falls under the category of human behavior, I would think.

Bucluva101

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 27, 2007, 05:11:42 PM

interesting.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#7 : March 27, 2007, 05:13:30 PM

Both of the boards have their own things that I like about them.  I just don't get the infatuation that some members of this board have with that one, because it's not the other way around.  If you don't like the other board, don't go there.  Just stay here, enjoy this one, and don't even bring up the other one.  You are just making it look like you are jealous, because you got banned from there or something.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 27, 2007, 05:15:59 PM

I'm impressed.  I think it's interesting too in terms of what makes people tick.  Why the official Bucs org tolerates such a poor site to represent the team.  If you continued with your research that would probably take hours and hours of work, and if 1000 replies constituted a decent sampling ( I know nothing of such things) then I would take it to upper management and suggest that they upgrade the staff for the site.  Another thing I notice is that the "flash" is constantly out of date and I have written them several times about it still being the Christmas One.  Jimminy Crickets...this shows a complete lack of organizational pride to me.  When you have a class building that people call the Palace...one of the best, if not the best, stadium nationally...why would you allow your site to become such a piece of crap?  beats me.

It's time for an update.  Fire them.  Make them walk the planks and get some quality fun people inthere for a change.  Anyone agree?

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 27, 2007, 06:45:26 PM

If it was deleted it's prolly because it presents a negative viewpoint of the board.  But it's not a valid analysis at all.

You would need a much larger sample pool, including different time periods to "prove" there was a negative change.  You would also need an unbiased judge to determine ridicule of team/org.

The columns you break down aren't very good either.  Take your "Mod threatens Ban".  What relation does this have to your theory?  Is it a deserved threat?  Is it for bad "behavior" (which would indicate a problemon the posters part, not the mods)?  there are similar issues with the other fields.  Overall it seems designed to look for and magnify flaws/badness rather than give a complete picture of good and bad...

sprung4bucs

Rookie

#10 : March 27, 2007, 07:14:11 PM

If it was deleted it's prolly because it presents a negative viewpoint of the board.
It is probably as simple as that, even though that was not my intent.

... But it's not a valid analysis at all.  You would need a much larger sample pool, including different time periods to "prove" there was a negative change.
Well, I admitted to a 1% sampling, and with only covering 8 posts and 168 replies, and I was being generous.

You would also need an unbiased judge to determine ridicule of team/org.

The columns you break down aren't very good either. Take your "Mod threatens Ban". What relation does this have to your theory? Is it a deserved threat? Is it for bad "behavior" (which would indicate a problemon the posters part, not the mods)? there are similar issues with the other fields.
The column breakdowns suited ME, it was after all, a personal inquiry...initially.  I judged the replies and extracted as much detail as I felt would give ME a clear picture.  "Mods Threatens Ban" was just a special category just to note that "Mod threatened a ban", not to weigh in on the rational.

I wish that I could have captured some of the humor in the "ridicule of team/org", some of it was hilarious banter, at the expense of the team/org, nevertheless.

Overall it seems designed to look for and magnify flaws/badness rather than give a complete picture of good and bad...
It was intended as fun.  It was not "designed" to be negative or magnify any aspect in particular.  I just attempted to structure the replies in a meaningful manner to discover a trend -- positive, negative, or neutral.  If I had continued as planned, my perception might have even been corrected.

It wasn't as much "fun" as I thought it would be, but I did in fact find a few interesting aspects.  I didn't feel that the post was any more biased than the speculation and opinions that I've seen posted by others. 

I'm sure there's not anyone who will buy into the fact that I presented a scientific analysis,  with the facts up front (8 topics, 168 replies), when the board comprises over 14000 replies or more.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#11 : June 29, 2007, 10:58:27 AM

I thought to do an extensive "data analysis" of the TBBB to quantify what I perceived to be a 360 change in the informative environment over there, since logging in as a member.  However, after tallying only about 1% of the information, I bailed out.  The need to know wasn't worth the effort.  Because some interesting stats were revealed in that small data pool, I created a thread to share some of the details.  The thread was deleted in a flash.  No one has notified me regarding the "why" of the deletion.  I reread the rules and checked my messages, but found no indication of rule violation.

I basically noted four things to explain the following image: (1) that within the last two years of my board membership, the board had negatively changed, (2) that there was a possibility that my own membership fueled that change (3) Bucs fans hate other Buc fans (4) that one unnamed person consistently stood out as a thread hijacker.

Some things just go straight over my head, and wondered if someone could give me a heads-up as to why the thread might have been deleted.  My response to anyone who criticizes me for asking...Meh! 

Sounds like a quality poster such as yourself would be good for the board. Surprised you were treated that way unless that one particular "hijacker" has Mod ability and didn't like your criticism of how the board was run.

abucsfan

Starter

#12 : June 29, 2007, 11:25:51 AM

.....  Why the official Bucs org tolerates such a poor site to represent the team. ................ When you have a class building that people call the Palace...one of the best, if not the best, stadium nationally...why would you allow your site to become such a piece of crap?  beats me.

It's time for an update.  Fire them.  Make them walk the planks and get some quality fun people inthere for a change.  Anyone agree?

Very well said!  It makes no sense to have that constant skewed criticism of the FO.  I can't bear to go there anymore.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#13 : June 29, 2007, 11:53:13 AM

TBBB is tending toward an anti Glazer-anti Gruden-anti Allen cult where "hate" has replace rational discussion of x's and o's.   Many of us old TBBB posters just quit posting or left the board because of the same endless arguments that were driving the discussions.  That's what happens in a vacuum when you don't have fresh info like you get at PR.com

#14 : June 29, 2007, 01:23:55 PM

I've got it! Scott, Jim and Hugh are the mods at the TBBB.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question RE TBBB Threads « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools