Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Quarles Vows To Continue Playing « previous next »
Page: 1 2

karen anderson

Practice Squad

: March 28, 2007, 10:29:02 PM

Future member of the future ring of honor. Glazers: hint, hint.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#1 : March 28, 2007, 10:58:06 AM

From TBO.com: http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/quarles-vows-to-continue-playing/

Quarles Vows To Continue Playing

TAMPA - Shelton Quarles believes he’ll be able to play this season.

But it won’t be his call.

“I know that I have the ability to play,” the Bucs’ middle linebacker said Tuesday. “Nothing in my play last year warrants a change at my position. The injuries I had were unfortunate.”

Quarles missed four games last season with a variety of injuries that included a pulled groin and high ankle sprain. Barrett Ruud started in Quarles’ place and likely would take over that role permanently if Quarles is out this season.

When asked if it was doctors or the Bucs organization telling him he might not be able to play, Quarles wouldn’t specify.

“I don’t want to go into that,” Quarles said. “We’ll skip that question.”

Quarles also wouldn’t specify what the injury is that could end his career. It has been reported as hip problems as well as concussions, but Quarles declined to pinpoint the problem, only saying that it was one specific injury.

The 10-year veteran realizes if he doesn’t play this season his career likely will be over.

“At this point in my career, I’d say if I wasn’t able to play, then it would probably end my career,” he said. “This is not my first lap around the track. It is what it is.

“If I couldn’t play this year, I wouldn’t try to make a comeback next year.”

Before he left for a USO tour of the Middle East with other NFL players earlier this month, Quarles said he would be undergoing further medical tests to determine the extent of his injury.

“I haven’t had it yet, but it will happen sometime in the next couple of days,” Quarles said.

Quarles feels he has earned the right to attempt to play this season.

“I know myself. I know my body and what I’ve put it through over the years,” he said. “I know what I do. What I’ve done in the past should give me the ability to continue my career.

“But if it doesn’t, it doesn’t.”

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#2 : March 28, 2007, 11:19:38 AM

Just retire Shelton...you have been a good player here and I don't want to see you get hurt.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#3 : March 28, 2007, 11:21:32 AM

I like Barrett Ruud. I think he can play and I think he deserves field time.

But after the last 2 years (which is weird because I didn't like Shelton as much before 2004 - before I understood what kind of person he was) I really wanted him off the field. Now, I can't help but hope this guy stays on the field - maybe even moreso than Mr. Brooks.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 28, 2007, 11:22:44 AM

If he had 6 concussions in one year he has to be done. When your brain gets rocked like that it just keeps getting easier and easier to damage it. Love the competitive spirit but this isn't the wise move.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#5 : March 28, 2007, 11:38:50 AM

I think it's concussions as well, because that would definitely be the type of injury a player would not want to talk about.  Leg, Hip, Ankle...anything else on the body can probably be rehabbed and diagnosed in startling detail, but there's really nothing an athlete can do to rehab a concussion.

And the NFL is just starting to get serious about the science of concussions, so I'm sure older players still have the mentality that they can be shrugged off and for the most part, don't or won't understand how they can feel like they can play (compared to a muscle, bone, or tendon injury) but someone is telling them they can't.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#6 : March 28, 2007, 11:43:28 AM

Q its been fun, but think of your health and the effects it will have on the rest of your life...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 28, 2007, 11:45:09 AM

Q

Please retire.  Concussions are very serious.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 28, 2007, 11:59:30 AM

Q

Please retire! It's not worth the potential brain/body damage.  Thanks for the great memories brother, and the additional cap space. By the way, want a LB assistant coach position? We'll love to continue to have such a great person as yourself on the field around our young football team. Again thanks for your contributions as a Pro Bowl MLB, standout Special Teams player, and of course, our 9 straight years of top-10 defensive finishes. You were an integral part, and we may not have been so succesfull without you. Ring Of Honor 100% 

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

badaBucs1987

Second String

#9 : March 28, 2007, 12:09:01 PM

he was definetly one of the most under-appreciated Bucs, I'll tell you that much...

Sapp, Lynch, Rice, Brooks, Barber, Kelly....people rarely included Q on that list.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 28, 2007, 12:14:01 PM

If Shelton's health is the issue I am sure he will get the right advice from the team doctors and his own doctors. With that being said if they deem he can play hopefully he will be able to play at a high level and if he cant the team has high hopes for Ruud

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

shall555

Starter

#11 : March 28, 2007, 12:55:22 PM

He needs to give it up or he'll end up like Andre Waters, or even worse, Mike Webster.

#12 : March 28, 2007, 01:01:21 PM

Deserves? Why?

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 28, 2007, 01:03:57 PM

Come on back Shelton.  Make Barrett earn that spot.  Don't GIVE it to him...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 28, 2007, 01:09:04 PM

Deserves? Why?

Draft position.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Quarles Vows To Continue Playing « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools