Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I hope Gruden has learned his lesson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Garv

Hall of Famer
#30 : October 23, 2006, 09:39:46 AM

Once again today when we were in field goal range, Gruden elected to punt the ball instead of attempting a 52 yard field goal. Two times against the Saints he did the same thing. We lost the Saints game because of it and today we basically had to trade in a 52 yard attempt for a 62 yard attempt. If he is going to stick with Bryant then he needs to trust him and use him. Going against the #1 ranked offense in the league, you are going to need all the points you can get. To get into fg range and pass it up with the hopes that your defense can hold them is assanine in my opinion. Hopefully Gruden learned his lesson today and lets Bryant attempt long fg's from now on.

LOL Two TOTALLY different situations! Pay attention. Given Byrant's previous kicks and the field position a miss would have given the eagles at the time, it was wise to punt. The 42 and 62 yarders were no brainers we needed then and there to win the game.
But I'm sure you could talk to Jon and explain field position and scoring points asyou know far more than he does. LOL
WHAT a GAME!!! PRICELESS face of philly fan exiting AGAIN!!!

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

escobar

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 23, 2006, 01:25:19 PM

Once again today when we were in field goal range, Gruden elected to punt the ball instead of attempting a 52 yard field goal. Two times against the Saints he did the same thing. We lost the Saints game because of it and today we basically had to trade in a 52 yard attempt for a 62 yard attempt. If he is going to stick with Bryant then he needs to trust him and use him. Going against the #1 ranked offense in the league, you are going to need all the points you can get. To get into fg range and pass it up with the hopes that your defense can hold them is assanine in my opinion. Hopefully Gruden learned his lesson today and lets Bryant attempt long fg's from now on.

LOL Two TOTALLY different situations! Pay attention. Given Byrant's previous kicks and the field position a miss would have given the eagles at the time, it was wise to punt. The 42 and 62 yarders were no brainers we needed then and there to win the game.
But I'm sure you could talk to Jon and explain field position and scoring points asyou know far more than he does. LOL
WHAT a GAME!!! PRICELESS face of philly fan exiting AGAIN!!!

Thanks for the breakdown. Only one problem, I don't have down syndrome so the explanation was a bit unneccesary. Playing for field position rather than attempt for points given our current situation is an absolute joke to me. I love how week after week on this board there are dozens of posts expressing concern over our rapidly declining defense. Yet, to try and argue a point you bring up field position? Excuse me, have you not been watching the same games I have this year? Our opponents could have an average starting field position of their own 1 yard line and it wouldn't make a difference. This defense is done. Completely shot. Do YOU understand that? We gave up over 500 yards of offense yesterday, the Falcons rushed for over 300 yards against us alone. The Eagles , Saints, and Panthers marched right down the field on us on their last drive like we weren't even there and scored in the last several seconds of the game. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

Our defense isn't reliable anymore. I think you can all get your collective heads out of your asses any day now. This isn't the defense of past that would clamp down in key situations and end the game. Even the Bengals put together an ok drive and had a long shot at a FG to beat us on their last drive. Our defense has failed to stop opponents on EVERY SINGLE final drive this season. This is why we need to take our chances on longer field goals when the opportunity presents itself. We are going to need all the points we can get and to leave points on the field and hope that a defense that has been absolutely abused this year can hold it down and get the win is insane logic. The fact that many of you seem to still want to rely on them makes me seriously question the intelligence on this board. Or maybe all of you are still living in the past. WAKE UP.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 23, 2006, 01:34:59 PM

Furthermore, are you all not noticing that Bidwell seems completely incapable of downing the ball inside the 10? The guy has a strong leg that's for sure. So strong he seems to kick it into the endzone almost EVERY SINGLE time. Whatever happened to kicking it to the sidelines? Either he is a complete idiot or he just has no control over his accuracy.

Oh and I love the guy who said Bryant had a 20 percent chance of making one of those 50+ yarders against NO. I'd love to hear how you came up with that calculation big guy. Go ahead and fill me in on that when you get the time. 50 yarders are NOT that big a deal. I've heard that kickers only practice 45 yarders in practice. Gruden himself said he saw Bryant make two 54 yarders in practice last week. Akers also said he saw Bryant kick two 60 yarders off the uprights in pregame. You guys are right though, let's keep relying on this dominant defense instead of attempting fg's that every other team in the league goes for. Like I said before, if Gruden doesn't trust the guy then get his ass of the team. Bring back France, anyone I don't care. But when you continually pass up scoring opportunities for field position when your defense is as unreliable as ours, then maybe Gruden's job status should be reevaluated.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 23, 2006, 01:35:20 PM

I think dude is still below .500 on the year.

He's 5 of 8 (63%) right now.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 23, 2006, 01:36:51 PM

Thanks Dan, but that's still nothing to write home about..

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 23, 2006, 01:40:31 PM

Of course not. I'm not touting him, he does need to get better. I loved the record setting kick, but ironically on the way to RayJay we were talking about the fact that all of the sudden we've got to worry about our kicking game again. We laughed about it afterward, of course, but Matt does remain a question mark.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 23, 2006, 01:44:57 PM

Of course not. I'm not touting him, he does need to get better. I loved the record setting kick, but ironically on the way to RayJay we were talking about the fact that all of the sudden we've got to worry about our kicking game again. We laughed about it afterward, of course, but Matt does remain a question mark.

That was my point...very eloquently put I might add...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

escobar

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 23, 2006, 01:45:29 PM

Chev, maybe you aren't noticing the fact that our snaps have been horrible lately? It's not all on Bryant ya know. The guy converted what, 86 percent last year? I realize Grammatica went from pro bowl caliber to cfl hopeful in a matter of months but that's not exactly common.  Now that his mind is on the game and not on his newborn (where it obviously was and should have been), let's see what he can do.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 23, 2006, 01:51:45 PM

Chev, maybe you aren't noticing the fact that our snaps have been horrible lately? It's not all on Bryant ya know. The guy converted what, 86 percent last year? I realize Grammatica went from pro bowl caliber to cfl hopeful in a matter of months but that's not exactly common.  Now that his mind is on the game and not on his newborn (where it obviously was and should have been), let's see what he can do.

The snaps are a problem, to be sure. At least miss against the Bengals I didn't blame Matt one bit, the snap was poor and Josh struggled to get it in the right position (he did the best he could, but he didn't manage to set it properly) and the timing of the kick was completely blown. If you toss that one out, he's at about 72% right now.

And up in Atlanta, NOBODY could make a kick, it seemed.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 23, 2006, 01:56:25 PM

Prior to yesterday, Bryants career long was 50.  That tell me:  Punt the ball.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I hope Gruden has learned his lesson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools